GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: Pac-12 Player Strike

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Not surprised at this.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

This is supposedly being led by a large group of players from Cal so I guess it's not really shocking. I see most of their demands as being fairly negotiable and reasonable, except the revenue sharing.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

greenyellow wrote:This is supposedly being led by a large group of players from Cal so I guess it's not really shocking. I see most of their demands as being fairly negotiable and reasonable, except the revenue sharing.
Once Title 9 comes in to play, the universities would just say that football pays to subsidize all the other sports and that there is no profit to share. It's a losing battle from the start IMO.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

And Boomers thought Millennials were whiny and entitled, Generation Z sure showed millennials up in that category.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The players should get health care provided after leaving school. They put their health on the line. But revenue sharing, that will be hard to navigate with title x. They can't pay all the athletes, when only 1-2 sports make money, and the rest just spend it. The NCAA could up the stiffen to 2200 a month, which is actually a lot if you consider they get free food, free room and board, and free school. What is UO for an out of state student? 35k-40k? What is Cal for instate? How many people have 2000 a month left over after paying their bills and eating?

And if these players still won't play for that, allow the 12 schools to recruit new players, eligible immediately.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:The players should get health care provided after leaving school. They put their health on the line. But revenue sharing, that will be hard to navigate with title x. They can't pay all the athletes, when only 1-2 sports make money, and the rest just spend it. The NCAA could up the stiffen to 2200 a month, which is actually a lot if you consider they get free food, free room and board, and free school. What is UO for an out of state student? 35k-40k? What is Cal for instate? How many people have 2000 a month left over after paying their bills and eating?

And if these players still won't play for that, allow the 12 schools to recruit new players, eligible immediately.

X2! I for one have had enough of people using this crisis to have a platform. Find some players who want to play, they can strike and face the consequences, lost scholarships. COVID protecting takes 100% of people buying in..... how is that working outside any sports bubble? Ask MLB.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Been saying all along, there WON'T be a season this year and maybe not next year either...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

buckmarkduck wrote:The players should get health care provided after leaving school. They put their health on the line. But revenue sharing, that will be hard to navigate with title x. They can't pay all the athletes, when only 1-2 sports make money, and the rest just spend it. The NCAA could up the stiffen to 2200 a month, which is actually a lot if you consider they get free food, free room and board, and free school. What is UO for an out of state student? 35k-40k? What is Cal for instate? How many people have 2000 a month left over after paying their bills, eating, new Nike's and marijuana?

Fixed. So over this pampered entitled generation...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:This is supposedly being led by a large group of players from Cal so I guess it's not really shocking. I see most of their demands as being fairly negotiable and reasonable, except the revenue sharing.
Fighting Racial Injustice is also up there with impossible list of demands. The only thing that could suffice is something that's just a token act/symbol like putting an acronym on the field but not actually doing anything.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Two things to say:

1) Collective bargaining is not whining. If you think it is, move to Pakistan or China, they might be better suited to you.

2) Revenue sharing is a non-starter, with compensation legislation around the corner already, nothing can be done to move that timeline up. If the players are adamant about that one, there won't be a season, and I'm ok with schools cutting them from their scholarships for not fulfilling their end of the bargain.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Two things to say:

1) Collective bargaining is not whining. If you think it is, move to Pakistan or China, they might be better suited to you.

2) Revenue sharing is a non-starter. If the players are adamant about that one, there won't be a season, and I'm ok with schools cutting them from their scholarships for not fulfilling their end of the bargain.

I'm fine with most of the demands, but the revenue sharing is a joke. From 2018 Cal athletic department was 18mill in the hole. Now they want paid? They say we dont care, but to me it's the players not caring about other athletes. If they get paid, schools will have to cut some sports.

The more I read up on this, the more I feel their real fight should be with the NFL. They have been happy to not have a minor league system, and let the NCAA do it for them for free. The players need to get the NFL players to stand with them, and create a minor league. Then they can be paid, get health care ect.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Is there a list of signatories? I want to see who actually signed on.
SteelTown43
Two Star Recruit

Post by SteelTown43 »

Well jevon Holland is one of them
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

What an absolute joke of a list of demands.