Pac-12 Player Strike

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: Pac-12 Player Strike

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

OregonVato wrote:This will get buried because I won't respond afterward, but many of us left this board when it became a far-right echo chamber. A bunch of washed-up old white dudes trying to tell a bunch of supremely-talented Black men how to handle their business is a complete joke.

A friendly reminder:
  • 1. Women don't need you to tell them how and when to reproduce
    2. Black folx don't need you to tell them how to protest
    3. Athletes don't need you to tell them how to protect their futures
These Men and Women of Oregon do not exist for your entertainment.
A friendly reminder
1. Children shouldn’t be abused.
2. Elderly shouldn’t be abused.
3. Football players shouldn’t be abused.
4. Arguments like this are meant to silence the opposition, not debate positions.
5. The implicit argument here is that if you believe that allowing someone the opportunity to play football in exchange for a scholarship, room & board, tutoring, and valuable playing experience (which some will be able to use to make millions) does not equal abuse, then you must also support child and elder abuse.

I’m okay with you running to the left of everyone here to show your moral superiority; just please make intellectually honest arguments when doing so.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonVato wrote:This will get buried because I won't respond afterward, but many of us left this board when it became a far-right echo chamber. A bunch of washed-up old white dudes trying to tell a bunch of supremely-talented Black men how to handle their business is a complete joke.

A friendly reminder:

So white males just shut up. Got it. Thanks for the reminder.

But

1-I've never once seen this topic talked about here. It's litterly something I don't spend anytime thinking about. IMy thing is, don't tell me what to do, and I won't tell you what to do. We can all be adults and be happy with our decisions.

2-Again, not being discussed here.

3-No one here is telling athletes to not get theirs. College is set up this way, and athletes have every right to find a way to make money. I think most of us are on board with letting them get paid for their likeness. We are on board with keeping them safe. I just don't think its feasible to pay the football players only, and expect the other sports to survive. Stanford already cut a dozen sports this year.

Also, the Rock just purchased the XFL, and if he is smart, he will allow HS kids to get drafted.

Final note. It seems like you came here, and began arguing with the voices in your head. I'm not sure of anyone's ethnicity or views on politics. But I bet we have a lot of D here, or people like myself Independet. You just don't seem to like the fact we each allow the others to their opinions
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think that I would disagree that each Pac12 player is worth ~100k to their respective school.

1. If you replaced all but 10 players on our team with a player from the Mountain West, there would be no difference in: revenue, stadium capacity, brand image etc.
2. Just wanting revenue sharing, without taking on the risk of a program/business is just inherently ignorant

When I was a corporate analyst, I was able to decrease our WACC (weighted average cost of capital) and re-arrange our retail inventory to the tune of about 14 million annually. Should I have asked for 50% of that net gain? I didn't have to take on any expenditures or liability. There is cost/benefit to running a company or program. You take on the risk but also gain the profits. Again, if these players were to play for the "Eugene Ducks" in a semi-pro football league, they'd probably make less than 5k annually. And that doesn't include: housing, food, scholarship etc. They are benefitting from the brand far more than the brand benefits from them (sans very few outliers: Mariota, DAT etc).
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

A friendly reminder:
1. I might have missed this being discussed please link it .
2. You're right. I just hope and wish they show that much passion and vote.
3. But, all the benefits they currently get and want are because of the entertainment they provide for the masses.
4. I'm not a white guy
5. Aside from enjoying guns , I'm considerably left on all issues.
6. Who's many of us? I only remember 1 poster leaving, if more than that have left then they didn't participate much.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I think that I would disagree that each Pac12 player is worth ~100k to their respective school.

1. If you replaced all but 10 players on our team with a player from the Mountain West, there would be no difference in: revenue, stadium capacity, brand image etc.
2. Just wanting revenue sharing, without taking on the risk of a program/business is just inherently ignorant

When I was a corporate analyst, I was able to decrease our WACC (weighted average cost of capital) and re-arrange our retail inventory to the tune of about 14 million annually. Should I have asked for 50% of that net gain? I didn't have to take on any expenditures or liability. There is cost/benefit to running a company or program. You take on the risk but also gain the profits. Again, if these players were to play for the "Eugene Ducks" in a semi-pro football league, they'd probably make less than 5k annually. And that doesn't include: housing, food, scholarship etc. They are benefitting from the brand far more than the brand benefits from them (sans very few outliers: Mariota, DAT etc).
People would still go watch college football, even if the top players didn't go to college.. I'm a very casual soccer fan, basically I only watch the world cup. But the MLS is a far cry from the top leagues, yet fans still fill stadiums to watch them play. I'm sure the same would be true with college football.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I think that I would disagree that each Pac12 player is worth ~100k to their respective school.

Not a lot of accounting/business majors in the pool of united players it seems. Half their takes seem like they weren't thought out at all, as some of them are already being granted or their being presented to the wrong body of oversight. Some of the articles being written have spoken with players who aren't even aware of the whole list. It's disappointing that they've wasted a large platform with such an unorganized and half thought out movement.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

buckmarkduck wrote:

People would still go watch college football, even if the top players didn't go to college.. I'm a very casual soccer fan, basically I only watch the world cup. But the MLS is a far cry from the top leagues, yet fans still fill stadiums to watch them play. I'm sure the same would be true with college football.
I think for various reasons though, we are all attached to the "Oregon Ducks". If you took away college football and just planted a semi-pro team in that city in it's place, I don't think it would fair 10% as well as the college version would. It would be just another: XFL, AAFL (was that the recent one from last year?) etc.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

FlDuckFan wrote:

Not a lot of accounting/business majors in the pool of united players it seems. Half their takes seem like they weren't thought out at all, as some of them are already being granted or their being presented to the wrong body of oversight. Some of the articles being written have spoken with players who aren't even aware of the whole list. It's disappointing that they've wasted a large platform with such an unorganized and half thought out movement.
You can definitely tell it was written by someone with more of a social sciences background than someone with any business or economic sense.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote: You can definitely tell it was written by someone with more of a social sciences background than someone with any business or economic sense.
https://theundefeated.com/features/pac- ... -movement/
When we first got started, our only thought was coronavirus,” said Jake Curhan, a redshirt senior at Cal who helped organize the players. “We started talking to some of our teammates, and they said, ‘What about the Black Lives Matter issue? We don’t want to detract from their issue.’ The more we started talking with them, it became clear the two were the same issues.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Duck07 wrote:
greenyellow wrote: You can definitely tell it was written by someone with more of a social sciences background than someone with any business or economic sense.
When we first got started, our only thought was coronavirus,” said Jake Curhan, a redshirt senior at Cal who helped organize the players. “We started talking to some of our teammates, and they said, ‘What about the Black Lives Matter issue? We don’t want to detract from their issue.’ The more we started talking with them, it became clear the two were the same issues.
Interesting. I'm worried this could go off topic so I'll just say that doesn't compute with the various protests but I digress.

As for the statement itself, I don't even understand how you could make any parallel comparison. This is a 5th year, likely masters student at Cal saying this as well. :?:
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
Interesting. I'm worried this could go off topic so I'll just say that doesn't compute with the various protests but I digress.

As for the statement itself, I don't even understand how you could make any parallel comparison. This is a 5th year, likely masters student at Cal saying this as well. :?:
The current generation is solely focused on social media and is only looking for trending type statements disguised as "deep" statements, such as this. There is truly no logic or reasoning behind it, but it's certainly a feel good statement that will absolutely trend with his generation. Could there be aspects of these two issues that could have some distance relation or correlation? Sure, but to categorize them as the same is something nobody could ever prove but once again, is something the social media generation will eat up.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I do not know about others here. I am getting tired of the protests and the divisive media in this country. I like the sports and feel all people matter and simply refuse to elevate any race above another. Maybe I should just stop coming here or watching the news because it seems in the usa that is all it is about lately, and then you mix in the corona virus and it is simply disgusting. I married a foreigner and am starting to wonder if the country she is from is better than the usa. It is pathetic. I would love to have the athletic abilities these athletes do, or the smarts that some of these kids do, but I do not, and I am still happy, and do not look to blame others for what I do not have.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GoDucksIn09, I feel where you're coming from. I do very much feel like it's the times, Trump-era politics mixed with coronavirus making wearing everyone's nerves down even more. Just seems like everything we consider 'normal' has sort of gone to s***. These causes, by and large, are all worthwhile, but it does feel like they're all seemingly happening at once and it gets to feel like too much. So anyway, I hear you.

OregonFan4Life, I think maybe you reach out to them to better understand what they mean. Typically if you're condemning a whole generation, that's not a good sign of really understanding the situation. Nothing is ever as simple as "It's these damn kids these days...."
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

StevensTechU wrote:GoDucksIn09, I feel where you're coming from. I do very much feel like it's the times, Trump-era politics mixed with coronavirus making wearing everyone's nerves down even more. Just seems like everything we consider 'normal' has sort of gone to s***. These causes, by and large, are all worthwhile, but it does feel like they're all seemingly happening at once and it gets to feel like too much. So anyway, I hear you.

OregonFan4Life, I think maybe you reach out to them to better understand what they mean. Typically if you're condemning a whole generation, that's not a good sign of really understanding the situation. Nothing is ever as simple as "It's these damn kids these days...."
That sentiment is as old as time https://proto-knowledge.blogspot.com/20 ... traint%22.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:GoDucksIn09, I feel where you're coming from. I do very much feel like it's the times, Trump-era politics mixed with coronavirus making wearing everyone's nerves down even more. Just seems like everything we consider 'normal' has sort of gone to s***. These causes, by and large, are all worthwhile, but it does feel like they're all seemingly happening at once and it gets to feel like too much. So anyway, I hear you.

Obviously there are exceptions but generally speaking from my experience the Generation Z and even younger Millenials are very focused on social media trends and I don’t feel it’s much of a stretch to say that. It’s different, and it may bother me simply because I’m drastically different, but I also realize it is what it is and it’s not gonna change. And regarding reaching out to them, I honestly try to sometimes in person, but right now that isn’t easy given covid, and I’ve found it to be difficult to get authentic answers in person. Sometimes there are the exception, but a lot of kids in the Generation Z certainly struggle to socialize outside of their phones and social media. Fact is, I’ll never fully understand the younger generation just like they’ll never understand my generation.