PAC-12 expected to cancel season today per Dan Patrick

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

PAC-12 expected to cancel season today per Dan Patrick

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Along with Big Ten. Excuse me while I go cry.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dpshow/statu ... 6512?s=10q
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: PAC-12 expected to cancel season today per Dan Patrick

Post by buckmarkduck »

Rumor is Michigan, tOSU and Penn st all talking to the big 12. Wonder if any Pac 12 teams will also follow that path?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Not too big of a surprise if it happens, and I think it will, it is going to be a long fall! Wonder what the NFL will do? How will the NCAA handle this lost scholarship year?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:Not too big of a surprise if it happens, and I think it will, it is going to be a long fall! Wonder what the NFL will do? How will the NCAA handle this lost scholarship year?

Football is the NCAA cash cow, without it they will go broke fast. Doubt they will want to let any spring sports play, if they do cancel football. They won't want to continue to lose money, which is what all the spring sports do.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Alan wrote:Not too big of a surprise if it happens, and I think it will, it is going to be a long fall! Wonder what the NFL will do? How will the NCAA handle this lost scholarship year?

Football is the NCAA cash cow, without it they will go broke fast. Doubt they will want to let any spring sports play, if they do cancel football. They won't want to continue to lose money, which is what all the spring sports do.
Agreed, I thought maybe they'd delay all sports to Spring to let football fund everything at once, but without football, no way most schools can afford the season except for maybe schools like Duke, North Carolina, and Kansas that are much bigger basketball than football schools.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Usually, it sucks that football season coincides with hunting season. This year, thank god that's the case. Would be a long fall otherwise.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Issues with a spring football season still outweigh the potential benefits of kicking the season into the spring?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It makes no sense that the Big Ten can welcome back students to campus without all of them getting tested on a regular basis but won't allow the sports teams to play even though they are going to be tested thoroughly. The Big Ten commissioner and presidents are being dumb here since they could easily push back the start of their season to match the Pac-12 and SEC to see if things are getting better or not before pulling the plug. They set up their own artificial start date that doesn't need to be set in stone yet.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

StevensTechU wrote:Usually, it sucks that football season coincides with hunting season. This year, thank god that's the case. Would be a long fall otherwise.
some of the best games were while im hunting. one i really missed the most was
the Oregon -byu game at autzen.. got to hear on radio in and out tho reception wasnt
good.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:It makes no sense that the Big Ten can welcome back students to campus without all of them getting tested on a regular basis but won't allow the sports teams to play even though they are going to be tested thoroughly. The Big Ten commissioner and presidents are being dumb here since they could easily push back the start of their season to match the Pac-12 and SEC to see if things are getting better or not before pulling the plug. They set up their own artificial start date that doesn't need to be set in stone yet.
What I'm hearing online is that this isn't about player safety as much as it's about liability. Programs probably figured the risk of large lawsuits and player demands outweigh the benefits of having a season without fans or with limited fan attendance.
Last edited by OregonFan4Life on Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:It makes no sense that the Big Ten can welcome back students to campus without all of them getting tested on a regular basis but won't allow the sports teams to play even though they are going to be tested thoroughly. The Big Ten commissioner and presidents are being dumb here since they could easily push back the start of their season to match the Pac-12 and SEC to see if things are getting better or not before pulling the plug. They set up their own artificial start date that doesn't need to be set in stone yet.
Yeah that is really interesting. Not to mention the average student is probably more at risk than athletes.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Usually, it sucks that football season coincides with hunting season. This year, thank god that's the case. Would be a long fall otherwise.
I hear ya. I had to choose between hunting and football after my divorce and raising two amazing girls. With the hrs at work, after school activities from dance, swimming, cheer, softball I didn’t ave the time you need to put in for hunting so CFB it was. I was kinda lucky for HS, one settled on swimming the other cheer but both are year round sports. Long story short, I’ve already dug all my hunting gear out and have no issues with the season not happening, well when it comes to not having something to do. Might even do some fishing 8-) :|

PS. Girls are in there early twenties and doing very well. :lol:
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think this is 100% about how litigious we are as a society. The actual health risks are very very low.

Each year (terribly sad) 1-2 young football players die because of various heart related health issues. We don’t stop all football because of that. The perception and/or the reality of Covid is still debatable 6 months in, what is not debatable, is that the moment 1 football player is hospitalized, the media and the lawyers will be out in full force.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I think this is 100% about how litigious we are as a society. The actual health risks are very very low.

Each year (terribly sad) 1-2 young football players die because of various heart related health issues. We don’t stop all football because of that. The perception and/or the reality of Covid is still debatable 6 months in, what is not debatable, is that the moment 1 football player is hospitalized, the media and the lawyers will be out in full force.
Didn’t someone want to put in one of these relief bills something about immunity for businesses and schools so they could open up and not get sued by the vultures? Swear I read that some where or something like it. Anyone know what happened?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

It seems stupid to cancel instead of indefinitely postpone. There are 27 vaccines worldwide in some phase of human trial. Russia will begin human guinea pigging on their population as early as this week on a broad scale. Now all these early ones may bomb out but what if there is a real winner in this group? While immunizing the whole population by spring would be unlikely, immunizing essential workers like football players and coaches might be feasible.

Heck just last week I watched some guy on TV say there would be a vaccine around November 3rd and reporters were asking him all kinds of questions so he must have been an expert.