PAC-12 North

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

PAC-12 North

Post by northbeachsf »

If Oregon can play and win this week, they are going to have a huge leg up in the Pac-12 north. They would essentially have a big lead on every team, as they own the tie breaker with WSU, except for UW.

Now for the fun part. If I am reading the rules correctly, UW is in serious trouble if they can’t play another PAC-12 team this weekend. In order to be considered for the division title, a team must play no less than one game below the average of all teams playing in that division. IF UW can’t play this weekend and no other games get cancelled,, it seems they are going to be behind the qualifying criteria to win the north.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Re: PAC-12 North

Post by DuckzRule »

I hope Oregon doesn't get a certain amount of games cancelled or else we would be in serious trouble for contention of the Pac-12 North title. I still want to know who would be the candidates for a non-conference game tho
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Interesting. LA schools and Oregon schools are only teams not to miss a week so far.

Utah an ASU have only played one game, yikes.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Honestly, what we do this week doesn't matter in terms of the North because the Barkrats already have 2 losses.

We just have to beat UW and Cal the last 2 games. UW looks to have the best defense in the conference.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

The way the Pac-12 explained the rules for division champs: as long as you’re within 1 game of the average number of games played by the conference. So if Washington played 4 games and the average is anything below 5.5 per team they’re eligible. The number will be below 5.5 so they will be. Besides, they’re almost certainly playing Utah this weekend if ASU can’t go.

1. Best conference record.

2. Head to head result.

3. Record against division/against next highest division team/common opponents.

Everyone other than Wazzu already has two losses, and we have the tie breaker over them. Oregon can basically lose one of two to Cal or OSU and still control their destiny if they beat Washington.

Caveat: if either Oregon or Washington (assuming they don’t have another game canceled) is undefeated while the other isn’t heading into their matchup they could have a mysterious outbreak of corona. Conspiracy theory, I know - but worth noting, even if it is legitimate that’s what the accusation will be. Also, if Oregon is 5-0 and Washington is 4-0 and they don’t play then Oregon would get the tie breaker.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Random question I just thought of regarding the conference (not just the north), but let's say we have the North and South winners and have an upcoming Pac-12 championship game, and let's say one of the two has a covid outbreak right before the game. Do they cancel the game and do some sort of head to head to determine the conference champ? Does the second place team in the division play in the conference championship game? Do we just not have a conference champion this year then? Would the team with the outbreak be treated as forfeiting the game? I wondered if this is a scenario they've thought about and made a decision regarding.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Random question I just thought of regarding the conference (not just the north), but let's say we have the North and South winners and have an upcoming Pac-12 championship game, and let's say one of the two has a covid outbreak right before the game. Do they cancel the game and do some sort of head to head to determine the conference champ? Does the second place team in the division play in the conference championship game? Do we just not have a conference champion this year then? Would the team with the outbreak be treated as forfeiting the game? I wondered if this is a scenario they've thought about and made a decision regarding.
Interesting question.

{TK can Oregonfan4life be banned for asking a question that we don't even want to contemplate? Asking for a friend.}
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

In the unlikely event that we get there, let’s say 6-0 for both Oregon and USC there’s a procedure for determining home field and that is: record against the next highest team. Anyone’s guess who that could be and odds are they wouldn’t have played the same one.

The next tie breaker is CFP committee ratings. My guess would be that they declare co-champions and the higher ranked team would get the auto bid to an NY6 game.