Let's discuss the placekicking situation

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Let's discuss the placekicking situation

Post by GrantDuck »

Camden Lewis is 9-16. Most concerning is that he's only 4-8 from 30 yards in overall and 0-2 from 30-39 yards this year.

For the most part, he's been reliable in extra points, only missing 2 out of 69 attempts.

Adam Stack was 6-10 in 2018 before leaving last year.

These numbers basically mean that under Mario Cristobal we should never ever be attempting a FG unless it's in a situation where it's like 4th and 20 or if it's at the end of a half or game.

I feel like we should be able to find a PWO next year that can hit from 40 yards in consistently...
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Let's discuss the placekicking situation

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I'd kill for Morgan Flint at this point. 40+ yarders are out of the question, but deadly accurate from 39 and under
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think the kicking is more between the ears. We have had guys do really good in hs and in camps but when they get to Oregon the goal post I believe are narrower and it seems they do not have the mental toughness to be able to continuously kick field goals accurately. It is sad. Oregon has struggled with this on a regular basis clear back to the Chip Kelly days. I do not have any answers, but rather than coach continually praising the progress of the kickers maybe should reevaluate their analyzing of kickers and seek one who has the mental toughness. I would say the top 5 teams all have competent kickers. If Oregon wants to get to that level then they need to also have a kicker with ice water in their veins.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I think the kicking is more between the ears. We have had guys do really good in hs and in camps but when they get to Oregon the goal post I believe are narrower and it seems they do not have the mental toughness to be able to continuously kick field goals accurately. It is sad. Oregon has struggled with this on a regular basis clear back to the Chip Kelly days. I do not have any answers, but rather than coach continually praising the progress of the kickers maybe should reevaluate their analyzing of kickers and seek one who has the mental toughness. I would say the top 5 teams all have competent kickers. If Oregon wants to get to that level then they need to also have a kicker with ice water in their veins.
Don't think there's any doubt Camden has a big leg.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Some guys just don’t have it. They can be killing it in practice, but shut down in a game. I have no idea how that works, I’ve always been equally as bad in practice as in games, but I do remember guys like that. Is that Lewis’ case?

Why and how do we keep winding up with these kickers? Camden Lewis and Adam Stack were both top tier kicker recruits. Scholarship kickers.

We really under appreciated Aidan Schneider. His 85% FG rate is second all time for the Pac-12 and 15th in Division I history. 212/215 for extra points was also stellar. He was a soccer player walk on.

Matt Wogan was the number one kicker recruit In the country. He was a very respectable 14-18 on FGs, did miss some PATs, and unlike Lewis he had a big leg to get touchbacks. But out other kicker recruits have no lives up to their ranking. Meanwhile, look at Wazzu’s kicker: 20/21 last year with the lone miss a blocked FG, 4/4 this year with a long of 50. It may just be a crapshoot.

I wish I knew what the solution was. Wasting a scholarship on a kicker that is worse than what local high schools have is just sad. Give Kattleman a chance- how could he be worse?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’m willing to give Lewis one or two more field goal attempts before we call him a bust, last year he started when he was never meant to. And even though he missed his one attempt against WSU is wasn’t a wobbly mess like last year. But I do agree, a lot of kicking is mental toughness. I remember seeing a practice where Maldonado made a ton of really tough kicks but put him in front of a crowd and he shrank. That issue literally cost us a national championship in 2012, it would certainly suck to see it still lingering.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

The joke amongst my friends is that Kickers never win games, but they do lose them.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Jared Siegel?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Jared Siegel?
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Meanwhile, look at Wazzu’s kicker: 20/21 last year with the lone miss a blocked FG, 4/4 this year with a long of 50. It may just be a crapshoot.

Is he the same guy on WSU that punted that +70 yard bomb into the endzone? Envy their FG kicker.

On the bright side, it looks like we have a good punter this year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

alxtw wrote:Meanwhile, look at Wazzu’s kicker: 20/21 last year with the lone miss a blocked FG, 4/4 this year with a long of 50. It may just be a crapshoot.

Is he the same guy on WSU that punted that +70 yard bomb into the endzone? Envy their FG kicker.

On the bright side, it looks like we have a good punter this year.
WSU's punter is Oscar Draguicevich while their kicker is Blake Mazza.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

GrantDuck wrote: Don't think there's any doubt Camden has a big leg.
Not quite sure I buy even that. If he's handling kickoff duties, the kicks usually do not go out of the endzone.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Shouldnt Siegel have a kid college age by now?
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

MC should take a page from Chip. Only kick if there is zero chance of picking up a first down. The odds, even then, are even.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

I’ve tried to hold out hope for the kid that he’ll gain some confidence and turn it around, but the kick today was so atrocious I don’t see it happening. He’s got to have the yips, and I don’t see any way that’s getting resolved. I don’t think they can take his scholly, but I also am not an advocate for doing that for kids that don’t pan out. I just hope he decides to transfer on his own.