Thoughts on next DC

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Praxium
One Star Recruit

Thoughts on next DC

Post by Praxium »

Welp, Avalos is gone. Bummer, but can't hate on the guy for taking the head job at his alma mater.

Keith Heyward promoted to DC now I'm guessing.

Cristobal promoted him to Co-DC in 18 in order to keep him around.

If Cristobal doesn't promote him, he likely bolts so I'm guessing that's who we end up with. Although I would much rather see someone with some actual play calling experience.

The Pac 12 hasn't exactly been a bastion of defense lately so not a ton of in conference guys to pick from.

My pick would be Derek Mason given his familiarity with the conference and the success he had as DC at Stanford. His head coaching days at Vandy left a lot to be desired but they fielded a respectable defense every year.
UofO8
Senior

Re: Thoughts on next DC

Post by UofO8 »

Mason was hired to be the DC at Auburn. Marcus Freeman would have been a nice hire but Notre Dame just snagged him, I legit don't know who they can realistically go for at this point, sadly. Seems like a lot of hires have already happened
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

Mike Nolan just got let go from Dallas. He was rumored to be close to taking the job in ‘16. Hasn’t coached in college in a couple decades.

I’m thinking it’s going to be Heyward.
Praxium
One Star Recruit

Post by Praxium »

UofO8 wrote:Mason was hired to be the DC at Auburn. Marcus Freeman would have been a nice hire but Notre Dame just snagged him, I legit don't know who they can realistically go for at this point, sadly. Seems like a lot of hires have already happened
Damn, just saw the Mason hire. Would have been a slam dunk, big big miss imo.

Muschamp and Kevin Steele are still unemployed. Neither have any west coast ties, but Steele coached with Cristobal at Alabama so there is that...if LSU doesn't get him that is.

Jason Tarver might not be a bad option either. Given he was Masons DC at Vandy in 18 and 19 and has ties to the west coast.
Praxium
One Star Recruit

Post by Praxium »

webfoots2001 wrote:Mike Nolan just got let go from Dallas. He was rumored to be close to taking the job in ‘16. Hasn’t coached in college in a couple decades.

I’m thinking it’s going to be Heyward.
Pro coaches always scare me. Pro vs college ball are so different in terms of scheme that they are almost different sports, not to mention recruiting ect ect.

I agree, it's probly gonna be Heyward.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Really just hoping for the best DC they can get so they don't waste KT's last year at Oregon.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

If it's internal, have to think it's Heyward or Wilson. If outside, I could see Steele or another young up-and-comer.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I wish Boise had done this faster before the DC market was raided. My first choice would have been Derek Mason, but Auburn brief him yesterday. Here are my choices, ranked:

1. Zach Arnett, Mississippi State. First year at Ms St, previously at San Diego State. Pupil of Rocky Long. Good chance Texas hires him. Runs a similar defense to Avalos.
2. David Reeves, UAB. Read up on this guy, he’s been masterful at UAB. Not to be confused with Willie Taggart’s guy who spells his name differently.
3. Will Muschamp, severance payment inc. Don’t let his head coaching history fool you, he’s a great DC and recruiter. He supposedly turned down Texas, May want to rest and enjoy his buyout.
4. Keith Heyward. Eh, he’s not a bad choice.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Zach Arnett or Heyward.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Ken Wilson is more likely than Heyward.

Candidates

1. Kevin Steele
2. Tosh Lupoi
3. Zach Arnett

It's likely that Cristobal spends several weeks interviewing a lot of guys. I expect Heyward to move on actually as he wants to move up and not be stuck in the same spot.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Lupoi would be interesting. I don't like the guy, but he put together some great defenses and he can recruit like hell
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

squintsdd wrote:Lupoi would be interesting. I don't like the guy, but he put together some great defenses and he can recruit like hell
He was DC for 1 season and got play-calling responsibility revoked by Sagan halfway through the year.
Praxium
One Star Recruit

Post by Praxium »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
squintsdd wrote:Lupoi would be interesting. I don't like the guy, but he put together some great defenses and he can recruit like hell
He was DC for 1 season and got play-calling responsibility revoked by Sagan halfway through the year.
Correct, Lupois time as DC was not very successful at all.

Of everyone being mentioned Kevin Steele is easily the best option if LSU doesn't hire him first.

Jason Tarver or Travaris Robinson wouldn't be terrible hires either.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

At least he left on a sub par year. I'd like someone who is similar to the Clemson deffensive coordinator even though he got destroyed by Ohio State.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I get the feeling that Mario may not move all that fast here as he's typically very diligent on his hires. He probably feels there's no real hurry with them having so little recruits left to sign in February but I'd hate to see that cost him some really good options.