Thoughts on next DC

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Re: Thoughts on next DC

Post by GoDucksTroll »

ducks5ever wrote:Big picture here, CMC has done a decent job on hiring staff so far but I'm not going to be surprised if one of his coordinators ends up being a bust (maybe it's already happened, not sure). I see it more as a numbers game and it's going to happen eventually and I hope the fan base won't hold it against him.
I looked through Mario’s coordinator hires recently, and they’ve been impressive. At FIU obviously money and lack of prestige was a factor so young and small school guys were the choices, but he still had great hires. In chronological order:

James Coley, OC: hired away by Bobby Bowden as TE coach. Became Florida State OC, Miami OC, Georgia WRs and OC, now Texas A&M TEs.
Phil Galiano, DC: hired away by Rutgers to coach DL, moved with Schiano to Tampa, since has bounced around in a variety of jobs at P-5s and NFL.
Bill Legg, OC: hired away to be OC at Marshall, where they posted three straight double digit win seasons including a 13 win season, spent most of the last decade there.
Scott Satterfield, OC: hired away by alma mater Appalachian State as OC/AHC, became very successful HC, currently HC at Louisville.
Geoff Collins, DC: hired away to be DC at Mississippi State, became DC at Florida, HC at Temple, currently HC at Georgia Tech.
Todd Orlando, DC: Mario and FIU staff fired, Orlando became DC at Utah State, Houston, Texas, currently USC.
Tim Cramsey, OC: Mario and FIU staff fired, became OC at Montana State, Nevada, and now at Marshall, replaced Bill Legg in 2018. This is an interesting one, he was an offensive assistant at New Hampshire with Chip Kelly, then was Dakota Prukop’s OC/QB at Montana State. Crazy stuff going on at Marshall Football, with the governor involved now.

Oregon
Andy Avalos: hired away by alma mater Boise State to be HC.
Joe Moorhead: TBD.

Very possible that Cristobal’s next choice doesn’t work out, but overall it’s about as good of a track record as you can hope for.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

As always, appreciate the summary. Just missed the hire of the great Marcus Arroyo.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

STU— who do you prefer?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

StevensTechU wrote:As always, appreciate the summary. Just missed the hire of the great Marcus Arroyo.
Wasn't Arroyo hired by slick?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

karlhungis wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:As always, appreciate the summary. Just missed the hire of the great Marcus Arroyo.
Slick did hire Arroyo, he was the QB coach, Cristabol promoted him to OC. Slick also hire Pepsi Jim as DC, nice train wreck with Mario, lol.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Slick did hire Arroyo, he was the QB coach, Cristabol promoted him to OC. Slick also hire Pepsi Jim as DC, nice train wreck with Mario, lol.

He was the OC under slick. Mario was co-OC, in the same way big joe is co dc. But you wouldn’t want Mario calling the offense
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah, Arroyo was QB coach but then Reaves and Dougherty were fired and we promoted Arroyo to OC
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Yeah, Arroyo was QB coach but then Reaves and Dougherty were fired and we promoted Arroyo to OC

Nope. He came on staff after the DUI incident. Slick hired him away from Ok State
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Yeah, Arroyo was QB coach but then Reaves and Dougherty were fired and we promoted Arroyo to OC

Nope. He came on staff after the DUI incident. Slick hired him away from Ok State
Touche, you are correct

In hindsight, Willie was just such a disaster. The DUI incident, the Rhabdo incident, the incident with the Oregonian reporter etc.

I was always hesitant just from his opening press conference. They asked him about USF and if he would be rooting for them in their bowl game or text them good luck etc and his response was, "why would I do that, I'm not their coach". That just really irked me. Even if you are with different team/guys now, you'd think you'd still form relationships to at least wish them good luck. He seemingly showed his true colors right from the jump.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Head Coaches have different strengths and weaknesses. Like Bellotti, this is one of Mario's strengths. Both have had a couple of stinkers but, I think it is unavoidable over a long career.

I'll just ignore this process, watch basketball and let Mario do his thing and save my second guessing for clock management or some other peeve. (In fairness his clock management has improved.)

{Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with anyone else having thoughts and opinions on this, but for some reason, this time it doesn't interest me personally as much as it has in the past}
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I didn’t count Arroyo as a Mario hire since he’s not the one who hired him. I also don’t think he had much choice in retaining him when so much of the staff had to be replaced after Willie, and then the following year Leavitt was paid handsomely to leave. I am curious if Arroyo would have been retained after last year if he didn’t get the UNLV job.

The one Cristobal hire I’m unsure on is Jim Mastro. Too early to say, none of his RBs have played but it’s still too early to say.

Mike Bellotti got lucky with having Aliotti for so long. But he was able to crank out great OC hires, minus Ludwig. Interestingly enough Ludwig is very highly paid by Utah now. Bellotti was also not afraid to let the OC change the offense and adapt. That is a hallmark of a great coach, we see it with Nick Saban, and Mack Brown. It remains to be seen if Mario is willing to do the same.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

They could always bring Jim Leavitt back. :-)
John 3:36
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

SuperDuck wrote:They could always bring Jim Leavitt back. :-)
Yup... One big HAPPY family!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Saw a post from a MSU reporter on Twitter that Zach Arnett is interviewing for the Oregon DC spot.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

HomeSickDuck wrote:Saw a post from a MSU reporter on Twitter that Zach Arnett is interviewing for the Oregon DC spot.
Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about becoming Mississippi State West.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!