Guesses on what the Ducks will do at QB next season?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Guesses on what the Ducks will do at QB next season?

Post by Alan »

Thoughts on Ducks QB next season? Hopefully a regular and complete season including spring ball and normal workouts. With added practice Slough is ready to lead the team? An all star incoming freshman? Transfer portal? I hope we don’t beat up on Slough, he came into the season with little game experience, was given every opportunity and still panicked at times I late in the season, can he overcome that next season? Again Slough has been raked over the coals here already, this thread is wondering where the Ducks will go.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Guesses on what the Ducks will do at QB next season?

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Brown - his QB coach/handler said Brown is done at Oregon on twitter FWIW

Ashford - I hope he gets some wildcat formations cause at 6'5 225 he is an asset

Butters - Solid arm but I doubt he is better than 2nd/3rd string with mobility limitations

Millen - likely transfers or switches positions

Thompson - I think he comes in hot like Herbert did in 16, but, just like Herbert, he doesn't start day 1 but may see increased PT as the season goes along

Shough - I am not a fan at all. I'd prefer Prukop to him....but I think he is our day 1 starter :/
Last edited by lukeyrid13 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Brown - his QB coach/handler said Brown is done at Oregon on twitter FWIW

Ashford - I hope he gets some wildcat formations cause at 6'5 225 he is an asset

Butters - Solid arm but I doubt he is better than 2nd/3rd string with mobility limitations

Thompson - I think he comes in hot like Herbert did in 16, but, just like Herbert, he doesn't start day 1 but may see increased PT as the season goes along

Though - I am not a fan at all. I'd prefer Prukop to him....but I think he is our day 1 starter :/
I believe you just discovered a new expletive!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Thompson or Brown

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

If Brown is really gone, I'm guessing it's Thompson. Shough should run the scout team.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

On board with Thompson or Brown.

Shough probably starts through the Ohio State game and then is mercifully benched before Pac-12 play as Thompson gets his first start against Stony Brook.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

woundedknees wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Brown - his QB coach/handler said Brown is done at Oregon on twitter FWIW

Though - I am not a fan at all. I'd prefer Prukop to him....but I think he is our day 1 starter :/
I believe you just discovered a new expletive!
Ha whoops
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I think that Ty Thompson and Sean Dollars will both start next year.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Shough - I am not a fan at all. I'd prefer Prukop to him....but I think he is our day 1 starter :/
Who do you think has a better chance to start between Ashford and Butters?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Sounds like Brown is leaning towards staying. I’d guess whoever is QB1 after the spring, the other guy transfers.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

duck023 wrote:

Ashford didn’t even travel most of the year whereas Butters was 3rd string this year, so definitely Butters. I think if/when Brown leaves, using Ashford in the short yardage sets would be useful with his size and speed
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
duck023 wrote:

Ashford didn’t even travel most of the year whereas Butters was 3rd string this year, so definitely Butters. I think if/when Brown leaves, using Ashford in the short yardage sets would be useful with his size and speed
That is interesting based on what you were saying about Butters mobility I thought it would be the opposite. It sounds like you are saying Butters is better at running then Ashford is at throwing. I normally think the fast guy's can learn how to throw but the good throwers can't learn to run. If the coach insists on not playing Thompson his first season. I'd like to see one of those guy's get a shot at beating out Shough. However Ty Thompson could be starting next year right away based on process of elimination.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Ashford struggles with accuracy. If you were to watch either the All-American game or the Poly Bowl, he missed open receivers often, sometimes by a lot. That's not usually something that you can teach or see such a drastic improvement on.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Ashford struggles with accuracy. If you were to watch either the All-American game or the Poly Bowl, he missed open receivers often, sometimes by a lot. That's not usually something that you can teach or see such a drastic improvement on.
But he is huge, and a great athlete. I see TE in his future.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Another day passes and Anthony Brown still has not entered the transfer portal.

Guys can enter at anytime. Maybe he wants to see how spring goes at this point. But since some mentioned him having a handler who basically said he's already gone, that seems to not be the case.