Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Cal @ #8 Oregon (Oct. 15, Fri 7:30 PM ESPN)

Post by UOducksTK1 »

At least we won?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Phalanx wrote:
lmduck wrote:It was embarrassing to hear the boos. No matter what, that is never acceptable. That was an ugly moment and some ‘Duck fans’ need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not big on booing, but it usually only happens when someone is doing a bad job, so for me, it's like the market's reaction. It seems unproductive to try to silence the boos via shaming. Better to improve the product. Doubtless those same people cheered the dramatic improvement later in the game.
I’m not one to boo, as over-emotional as I get I just don’t boo my team (but I’ll boo the hell out of refs). Interesting thing I saw was that Ryan Walk said the boos really motivated the offense to play better and play for each other. If I was a coach, I’d be concerned that it’d take the fans to start booing to motivate this team, this team should be motivated by football! Not by fans booing.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

^ this ^

If coaches don't motivate a team then there is a problem.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Here to echo the last two comments. I wasn't a fan of the booing ... but it seemed to wake the team up, so in that sense it worked.

The problem is it took a fan base to boo for the offense to finally start playing up to their standard ... that's a major problem. I expected Oregon to be incredibly grumpy and come out with a ton of energy after that sour loss that has been marinating for damn near two weeks. Yet, there was just very little juice.

Is there a bigger problem here we're all missing or not able to see?

Even with the injuries, this team is too damn talented to be playing down to sub-par Pac-12 opponents.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Phalanx wrote:
lmduck wrote:It was embarrassing to hear the boos. No matter what, that is never acceptable. That was an ugly moment and some ‘Duck fans’ need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

I'm not big on booing, but it usually only happens when someone is doing a bad job, so for me, it's like the market's reaction. It seems unproductive to try to silence the boos via shaming. Better to improve the product. Doubtless those same people cheered the dramatic improvement later in the game.
I’m not one to boo, as over-emotional as I get I just don’t boo my team (but I’ll boo the hell out of refs). Interesting thing I saw was that Ryan Walk said the boos really motivated the offense to play better and play for each other. If I was a coach, I’d be concerned that it’d take the fans to start booing to motivate this team, this team should be motivated by football! Not by fans booing.

I thought the bios were directed at the coaches and the fact the won’t play Ty.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

I thought the bios were directed at the coaches and the fact the won’t play Ty.
Maybe I’m a weirdo, but I liked the booing. It’s the most direct way for paying customers to communicate the product they paid for is substandard. The coaches and players disappointed last night. With this garbage performance coming off the loss to Stanford, people are right to be concerned.

The staff and players need to pick it up a notch.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I rewatched most of the game, a lot more enjoyable knowing the outcome. Some postmortem:

* AB is different when he needs to be clutch. He throws better, he’s less timid, he’s faster. It’s almost like he’s too relaxed for most of the game. That AB is good.
* The noodle arm, throws behind the receiver. JJIII and Devon Williams bailed him out with fantastic catches at different times.
* Hell of a catch by Redd for the TD.
* I can’t believe George Moore is our best LT. I’m spoiled by Penei and Throck.
* I’ve been saying it for a while, but Travis Dye is better than Verdell.
* We had a Caldwell sighting. Cristobal said if he had more plays he’d give them to Dye.

Defense
* Our interior DL sucks. I’ve been complaining about it for a while, so what else is new.
* We got mauled on first down all game long. So lucky Cal decided to suck at throwing and kept doing it.
* I miss you Bennett Williams.
* KT is a ___ (fill in your choice of adjective for otherworldly)
* I can’t tell yet if I like DeRuyter. Probably? It would be cool if he had Flowe and Bennett.
* I’m impressed we’ve gotten contributions from Trikweze and Steve Stephens. I had almost written them off.
* Did I mention no one is scared of KWH or Jayson Jones? Popo hasn’t quite lived up to my expectations. Dorlus is the one guy who I consistently see play well.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Not a fan of the booing... people who boo one minute and then cheer the next look silly. I get it, but it's just not a good look.

That said, I agree that most people probably weren't booing the players as much as they were booing the coaches. Hopefully, the coaches got the message, because much of what we saw yesterday was unacceptable.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I rewatched most of the game, a lot more enjoyable knowing the outcome. Some postmortem:

* AB is different when he needs to be clutch. He throws better, he’s less timid, he’s faster. It’s almost like he’s too relaxed for most of the game. That AB is good.
* The noodle arm, throws behind the receiver. JJIII and Devon Williams bailed him out with fantastic catches at different times.
* Hell of a catch by Redd for the TD.
* I can’t believe George Moore is our best LT. I’m spoiled by Penei and Throck.
* I’ve been saying it for a while, but Travis Dye is better than Verdell.
* We had a Caldwell sighting. Cristobal said if he had more plays he’d give them to Dye.

Defense
* Our interior DL sucks. I’ve been complaining about it for a while, so what else is new.
* We got mauled on first down all game long. So lucky Cal decided to suck at throwing and kept doing it.
* I miss you Bennett Williams.
* KT is a ___ (fill in your choice of adjective for otherworldly)
* I can’t tell yet if I like DeRuyter. Probably? It would be cool if he had Flowe and Bennett.
* I’m impressed we’ve gotten contributions from Trikweze and Steve Stephens. I had almost written them off.
* Did I mention no one is scared of KWH or Jayson Jones? Popo hasn’t quite lived up to my expectations. Dorlus is the one guy who I consistently see play well.
AB was not clutch when it counted down the stretch at Stanford.

Steve Stephens is still pretty bad.

Agree with the other points.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I liked what Coach Bellotti had to say about the state of the ducks here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1FXECVnqYk

I feel like some coaches and players try to make it an esoteric thing that fans can't possibly understand, but a man in MB's position doesn't need to build the mystery, so he can be pretty straightforward. Brown has been hit and miss, the front seven are young and depleted by injuries and the secondary has had to bail them out a lot, the offensive line has been disappointing, and we're waiting for some of the young, tall receivers to make more of an impact. Pretty much the same assessment as most observant fans.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Phalanx wrote:Not sure if this has been posted already, but I liked what Coach Bellotti had to say about the state of the ducks here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1FXECVnqYk

I feel like some coaches and players try to make it an esoteric thing that fans can't possibly understand, but a man in MB's position doesn't need to build the mystery, so he can be pretty straightforward. Brown has been hit and miss, the front seven are young and depleted by injuries and the secondary has had to bail them out a lot, the offensive line has been disappointing, and we're waiting for some of the young, tall receivers to make more of an impact. Pretty much the same assessment as most observant fans.
Thanks for sharing that! I find it interesting/funny that for everyone position group he gave a negative and positive, except the Oline, he just flat out said they’re really underperforming. I’d love to hear a former Olineman analyze the position, especially George Moore. Why are they so bad and why do they get beat and commit so many unnecessary penalties? Bad technique? Lazy effort? Too slow? Whatever it is they’ve been a huge disappointment. Is Mirabel the guy for the job or did Mario make a mistake hiring a close friend like that?
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Just watched the 2nd half and had a couple quick thoughts:

*Absolutely loved Deruyter's call for a blitz on Cal's last play. Kind of reminds me of some of Allioti's defenses of the past.

*We need to be a bit more patient with Cristobal and give him time to grow as a coach. He really has not been a head coach at this level
all that long.

*This is not a top 10 team. We need to stop talking about making the playoffs and just focus on winning the Pac-12 and hopefully making
it to the Rose Bowl. We do not want to see this team play Georgia. It would not be pretty.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

RanDux wrote:Just watched the 2nd half and had a couple quick thoughts:

*Absolutely loved Deruyter's call for a blitz on Cal's last play. Kind of reminds me of some of Allioti's defenses of the past.

*We need to be a bit more patient with Cristobal and give him time to grow as a coach. He really has not been a head coach at this level
all that long.

*This is not a top 10 team. We need to stop talking about making the playoffs and just focus on winning the Pac-12 and hopefully making
it to the Rose Bowl. We do not want to see this team play Georgia. It would not be pretty.

Your last point just means you haven’t watched other teams play. Outside of UGA, every team has flaws this year.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Your last point just means you haven’t watched other teams play. Outside of UGA, every team has flaws this year.
You make a good point... and yet, nothing about Oregon looks elite right now. Oregon might be a top-10 team by default right now, but we definitely don't look like a typical top-10 team.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:
You make a good point... and yet, nothing about Oregon looks elite right now. Oregon might be a top-10 team by default right now, but we definitely don't look like a typical top-10 team.

Iowa was 2 and they played even worse than UO all year. UF looked good then they didn’t anymore.

Stat of the year- there has been more top 25 teams beat by non ranked teams, than any other year ever.