83%
Mario Cristabol
17%

Total votes: 70
Alan
Senior

Who’s the better coach?

Post by Alan »

Just because all I can do is kill time, lol.

Chip Kelly or Mario Cristabol, who is the best overall coach during their Oregon career? Which coach is doing or did the better complete head coaching job? We all can acknowledge that Chip was a important and big step on the Oregon football ladder that really started with Rich Brooks.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Who’s the better coach?

Post by pezsez1 »

Chip, and then Mike Bellotti.

Cristobal is a fantastic recruiter, and he has a Rose Bowl win, but let's see what else he does with this talent. Bellotti led the Ducks to an end-of-season No. 2 ranking and mostly sustained a high level of success for 15 years. Bellotti didn't match MC with recruiting (at all), but his staff was fantastic at evaluating and developing talent. Had some huge signature wins over big-time programs, too. Bellotti also deserves credit for being bold enough to implement the spread offense at Oregon -- not many coaches are willing to learn new tricks to give their teams competitive advantages.

Cristobal seems like he has all the resources to surpass Bellotti for that No.2 spot (and maybe Chip for No.1) but he's got some work to do.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

As I mentioned before, Rich Brooks started it all off and I consider him the first rung of the ladder to where we are now, including two appearances in the national championship game. Chip is a football Genius, he understands and execute the strategy of football better than any other coach I’ve ever seen. It took several years for other teams to defend his offense, but they did and now it’s just another offense. I’m not trying to take away anything of what Chip did but he had flaws in other areas of coaching. He wasn’t much of a recruiter, he never built a team that was the best in the country because of his offens and the type of players he wanted in his offense, he worked with the coaches he was giving, he never really upgraded or mad changes, he was in control.

I went with Mario, while he is a new coach and obviously has areas he needs improvement in, I do think he’s the best we’ve ever had. He stands toe to toe with the top programs in the country in recruiting, he’s heads and tails over any other program in the Pac 12 when it comes to recruiting classes. He brought in the type a player I believe we need to win a championship, beef on the line. For the most part I love his coaching hires, to me it does appear that is one area he is learning what he needs to do, such as bringing two other past head coaches as coordinators. I think what he has done in his tenure is Enough to edge out Kelly. And I do think he’ll bring us a national championship, if we can keep the wallets open to compete with the other elite programs
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Alan wrote:As I mentioned before, Rich Brooks started it all off and I consider him the first rung of the ladder to where we are now, including two appearances in the national championship game. Chip is a football Genius, he understands and execute the strategy of football better than any other coach I’ve ever seen. It took several years for other teams to defend his offense, but they did and now it’s just another offense. I’m not trying to take away anything of what Chip did but he had flaws in other areas of coaching. He wasn’t much of a recruiter, he never built a team that was the best in the country because of his offens and the type of players he wanted in his offense, he worked with the coaches he was giving, he never really upgraded or mad changes, he was in control.

I went with Mario, while he is a new coach and obviously has areas he needs improvement in, I do think he’s the best we’ve ever had. He stands toe to toe with the top programs in the country in recruiting, he’s heads and tails over any other program in the Pac 12 when it comes to recruiting classes. He brought in the type a player I believe we need to win a championship, beef on the line. For the most part I love his coaching hires, to me it does appear that is one area he is learning what he needs to do, such as bringing two other past head coaches as coordinators. I think what he has done in his tenure is Enough to edge out Kelly. And I do think he’ll bring us a national championship, if we can keep the wallets open to compete with the other elite programs
Mario hasn't achieved what Chip achieved in their time and its not even close. Chip recruited a lot of players that ended up in the NFL but didn't win any recruiting rankings. So what, in a reranking ESPN said that Oregon had the 2nd best recruiting class in the country behind only Bama based on what they actually did on the field.

He also built a team that lost a NC game by a FG against a Heisman winner and future NFL MVP. Let's not act pretend for 1 moment that that wasn't a National Championship Caliber roster that he built, nor that Helfrich was able to take a team built by Chip to another National Championship game.

I get that emotionally you feel Mario has been better but by any rational metric Chip's tenure has been far more successful. That you try to invalidate what he did by saying its common now is absurd. David Shaw said 2 weeks ago that Chip put CFB a decade ahead of its time and its because of what he did in Eugene.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote:As I mentioned before, Rich Brooks started it all off and I consider him the first rung of the ladder to where we are now, including two appearances in the national championship game. Chip is a football Genius, he understands and execute the strategy of football better than any other coach I’ve ever seen. It took several years for other teams to defend his offense, but they did and now it’s just another offense. I’m not trying to take away anything of what Chip did but he had flaws in other areas of coaching. He wasn’t much of a recruiter, he never built a team that was the best in the country because of his offens and the type of players he wanted in his offense, he worked with the coaches he was giving, he never really upgraded or mad changes, he was in control.

Mario hasn't achieved what Chip achieved in their time and its not even close. Chip recruited a lot of players that ended up in the NFL but didn't win any recruiting rankings. So what, in a reranking ESPN said that Oregon had the 2nd best recruiting class in the country behind only Bama based on what they actually did on the field.

He also built a team that lost a NC game by a FG against a Heisman winner and future NFL MVP. Let's not act pretend for 1 moment that that wasn't a National Championship Caliber roster that he built, nor that Helfrich was able to take a team built by Chip to another National Championship game.

I get that emotionally you feel Mario has been better but by any rational metric Chip's tenure has been far more successful. That you try to invalidate what he did by saying its common now is absurd. David Shaw said 2 weeks ago that Chip put CFB a decade ahead of its time and its because of what he did in Eugene.
I am certainly not discounting what ship did for the job and college football, I do believe he put college football ahead by 10 years. All I was saying is most programs, most good programs have caught up.

I do believe chip put together a national championship caliber team, but it just couldn’t get past the difference in size the lines were, size and power won the championship, chip didn’t have it. I completely agree Helf Chuck chips 10 to the national championship game, we all know how Helfrich coaching tenure turned out.

Chip is and will be one of the greatest college coaches of all time, Mario will make the Oregon ducks a dynasty, no pun intended,
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

We’re in Mario’s 4th year, how long Chip was here. I know Chip took over a program in much better shape but it’s clear who the better coach is. If Chip had the playoff system we have a national championship cause Chip had the best team in 2012 but unfortunately the Stanford fiasco happened, which seems to be quite the recurring theme. But if the playoffs existed that year, Oregon would’ve had the 4th seed and would’ve played 1 seed Notre Dame, easy win, and no doubt Oregon would’ve beaten the winner between Bama and Florida, probably Bama. I know Chip made some mistakes and his stubbornness cost Oregon a national championship or two, but Oregon was a consistent dominant top 5 team under him. Now if only we could have an Oregon team that shows up in big games like Mario’s team does and shows up every other week like Chip’s teams did.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Chip is in year 4 at UCLA. He has 10x better access to recruits, and he was left more talent. He had a nice run at UO, but at this point he has become Howard Schnellenberger. He wasn’t able to ever love Eugene or UO, and always thought there was much better jobs that would make it easier for him to win at and recruit to. He was wrong.

As for those saying he is one of the greatest coaches. No. He could have been, but again he won’t do the recruiting part. Just looks at all the talent that has left his backyard since being there. Young at Bama, would have been way better than DTR. The RB at Texas, is a SoCal kid. Worthy at Texas. You can’t get lucky and find Marriott on an island very often. You have to step up and win a recruiting battle. And his system needs adjusted, to stay ahead of the D.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

buckmarkduck wrote:Chip is in year 4 at UCLA. He has 10x better access to recruits, and he was left more talent. He had a nice run at UO, but at this point he has become Howard Schnellenberger. He wasn’t able to ever love Eugene or UO, and always thought there was much better jobs that would make it easier for him to win at and recruit to. He was wrong.
Pretty sure that's why the question bolded "during their time at Oregon."
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

karlhungis wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Chip is in year 4 at UCLA. He has 10x better access to recruits, and he was left more talent. He had a nice run at UO, but at this point he has become Howard Schnellenberger. He wasn’t able to ever love Eugene or UO, and always thought there was much better jobs that would make it easier for him to win at and recruit to. He was wrong.

And you can’t just judge him based on that. Even Rich Rod had a nice run for awhile at WVU. No one outside of Morgantown thinks he’s great anymore.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

buckmarkduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:

And you can’t just judge him based on that. Even Rich Rod had a nice run for awhile at WVU. No one outside of Morgantown thinks he’s great anymore.
You absolutely can judge people based on a certain period in their career. That is completely a valid conversation to have.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Here is the better question. Based on what we know today, who would win more in the first 3 years with the others teams? Mario was left Herbert, and decent OL. But also basically nothing at WR, TE or on D. The best guys he and his coaches recruited. MB left Chip a ready made conference champ. I’ve said forever, no hate towards Chip, but MB would have had the same success in 2009 and 2010.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

If I had to choose right now between MC and Chip, I’m choosing MC. I basically was looking at the question comparing Chip at Oregon only to MC at Oregon only. If we’re including Chip’s time at UCLA and the NFL and MC’s time at Florida Atlantic then this poll is way too complicated.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I’m not putting down Chip fwiw. I just think his roster was stacked from Day 1. While people undervalue just how bad our roster was when MC got the job. I know Mario does things that are maddening, and you want to throw your remote through the TV sometimes. But Chip also had those games. Auburn he completely changed what he did inside the 20, and it cost us the Natty. There was no reason we didn’t score 38 in that game. And LSU, another game he just blew.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Here is the better question. Based on what we know today, who would win more in the first 3 years with the others teams?
That is a good question, but I'd still give the edge to Chip. Offense tends to win college football games and Chip is just better in that regard. Who wouldn't love for Chip to leave UCLA and have full autonomy as Oregon's offensive coordinator? 8-)

Cristobal is almost certainly the better coach in the year 2021 because he's a masterful recruiter, and with as much talent as Oregon is amassing we'll win some games simply based on talent alone. But Chip is the better in-game coach until proven otherwise, and Cristobal hasn't provided nearly enough evidence to support his argument.

Who would win more games over five or six years, though? Hard to argue against Cristobal if he keeps bringing in classes ranked around the top 5 nationally.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Chip knows how to win games but he's not willing to put the effort into getting the pieces in place to do so. His ceiling is limited by his lack of willingness to invest time into relationships to recruit the best talent. The transfer portal may work in his favor but I still think his ceiling is limited.

If both Chip and CMC had the same roster, I'd go with Chip all day. However, Chip's roster just isn't going to be as good as the one CMC can put together, and there are some things that you just can't coach.