offensive targeting

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

offensive targeting

Post by Quietduck »

I have come to the conclusion that the officials of football games either are blind or have been told not to call offensive players for targeting. Time after time, Ducks, Beavers, and the rest of college football players lower their head and lead with the crown when charging a defensive player. If any helmet to helmet occurs the defensive player is called even if the offensive player initiated the contact. Look at any sneak or short-yardage play and you will see the helmet being used as a weapon. It's just like a receiver running through a DB to get the call. IF the rules are the rules either the offense needs to get called or no one.

We all know the offense won't be called because kicking out a star QB, Running back or Reciever would cause a riot but the defense is considered expendable.

QuietDuck
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: offensive targeting

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Don’t you dare kick out a QB, RB, or WR, but go ahead and kick out the projected #1 draft pick if he plays defense. Is it all of college football that doesn’t know what offensive targeting or PI is or is it just PAC-12 refs?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’m watching the Iowa vs Purdue game and Purdue just scored a TD late in the half with a completely blatant pick play right in front of the official who didn’t throw a flag. They used to call offensive PI on that pick play but not anymore. Is the lack of penalties on the offense (outside or holding and procedure penalties) a strategic plan by the NCAA and NFL to get more offensive scoring since fans want that?
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

IT's only a pick play if the defender gets tackled or it leads to an Oregon touchdown.
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

Y'all are grouchy today.

As to targeting, initially the NCAA got carried away with the rule and they continue to tweak it. and that is creating inconsistent flags and so forth. One thing i hear they're going to consider is not tossing the player on the first call. The intent of the rule is good. They just have to make it more practical.

As to pick plays, teams have getting away with those for decades. Rarely called. I think, in general, refs shy away from offensive PI calls.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

thatbpguy wrote:Y'all are grouchy today.

As to targeting, initially the NCAA got carried away with the rule and they continue to tweak it. and that is creating inconsistent flags and so forth. One thing i hear they're going to consider is not tossing the player on the first call. The intent of the rule is good. They just have to make it more practical.

As to pick plays, teams have getting away with those for decades. Rarely called. I think, in general, refs shy away from offensive PI calls.
I heard they’re making two levels of targeting, one that’s more incidental that’s just a 15 yard penalty and one that’s more intentional and blatant that results in both a 15 yard penalty and ejection. Sometimes a player deserves to be ejected, but KT being ejected for incidental contact is absolutely ridiculous. If what I heard is true, I’d love that adjustment.
thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

Post by thatbpguy »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
thatbpguy wrote:Y'all are grouchy today.

I heard they’re making two levels of targeting, one that’s more incidental that’s just a 15 yard penalty and one that’s more intentional and blatant that results in both a 15 yard penalty and ejection. Sometimes a player deserves to be ejected, but KT being ejected for incidental contact is absolutely ridiculous. If what I heard is true, I’d love that adjustment.
Anything they can do is an improvement.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

there were a couple incidents yesterday where the Cal ball carrier was the only one lower his helmet at point of impact... Thankfully, nobody for Oregon was injured, ejected, or both.

The unsportsmanlike conduct call on the Cal playerwho ended up in the midst of the Duck sideline?

I didn't see the incident.

What the heck happened?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

woundedknees wrote:there were a couple incidents yesterday where the Cal ball carrier was the only one lower his helmet at point of impact... Thankfully, nobody for Oregon was injured, ejected, or both.

The unsportsmanlike conduct call on the Cal playerwho ended up in the midst of the Duck sideline?

I didn't see the incident.

What the heck happened?
Cal player had a hold of an Oregon player’s jersey and just shoved him into the sideline and into the coaches well after the whistle was blown. Pretty dumb play by him.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I actually like a true targeting call. But whoever lowers their first and initiates the contact needs to be penalized not just the person who is on defense. A two-layer penalty works for me with anyone who launches immediately in the second level. I the player is being blocked or is already being tackled it should be a no call no matter what the impact as they no longer have control of their actions to be able to pull up or to avoid the impact.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think they need to make Targeting 1 and Targeting 2; similar to flagrant fouls in basketball.

Incidental targeting maybe even make it like 20 yards and only truly intentional targeting with malicious intent is an ejection.

They also need to change the replay rules to the NFL style and only allowing 1 per half
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Targeting might be the worst rule ever implemented. Kick a guy out for hitting someone. It’s dumb. Throw a 15 yard penalty and move on. No one needs to be ejected. By 21 no one’s head is being saved because of this rule. Everyone on the field has hit someone holes helmet to helmet dozens of times in their lives.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Totally off topic, and its old news at this point but it occurred to me Chip Kelly forever changed football. I was watching a game yesterday and watched the ref sit on the ball until the defense was able to get set then he backed off and I started laughing and remembered they started doing this after Chip decimated defenses with the quick snap the entire game.
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

QuackininBama wrote:Totally off topic, and its old news at this point but it occurred to me Chip Kelly forever changed football. I was watching a game yesterday and watched the ref sit on the ball until the defense was able to get set then he backed off and I started laughing and remembered they started doing this after Chip decimated defenses with the quick snap the entire game.
Not sure if this was the case but of any subbing occurs by the offense the ref I believe is supposed to sit on the ball until the defense is ready.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Targeting is the dumbest thing to happen to college football, at least how the rule is often applied. It's just dumb. The rules need to allow for the refs to use common sense and only eject players who clearly mean to take people out.
Willie Taggart is a dick.