Oregon fans booing Ducks

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Re: Oregon fans booing Ducks

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Ban any fans who boo the ducks during the game. That's the solution.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Ban any fans who boo the ducks during the game. That's the solution.
Boo
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I totally agree about this weird blame game he’s playing in order to protect AB. I think the booing is a separate issue though. Part of his motivation may still be to protect AB but the much bigger issue is how bad of a look it is for the program.

A disgruntled, booing fan base undermines the product he’s selling to recruits, parents, and the college football world at large. An über supportive small town fan base is a major part of our programs identity; AB getting booed has become a national story that totally contradicts what we are as a football program.
I just don't buy this argument that those boos are somehow the cause of our program's fall (or will cause it). Mario's inability to develop a QB is a far more serious threat to the program than any booing could do.

Also, by talking about it so much rather than STFU and fix the problem that is causing it, he is the one who is making it a storyline/issue. Nobody thinks fans being crass in the stands is a good thing, but the least harmful way of voicing your displeasure at a sporting event is a generic boo so I don't know why Mario is acting like this is a hill to die on.
Has he been talking about it that much? The only time I’ve seen him talk about it unprovoked was that candid moment on the field after the game. I don’t watch every press conference or interview but anytime it’s discussed in that setting it’s a reporter asking about it. In those instances MC has always given a pretty neutral answer and not made a big deal about it. The media, including Kirk all game, are the ones continuing to bring it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck

Oregon fans booing Ducks

Post by lmduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I totally agree about this weird blame game he’s playing in order to protect AB. I think the booing is a separate issue though. Part of his motivation may still be to protect AB but the much bigger issue is how bad of a look it is for the program.

A disgruntled, booing fan base undermines the product he’s selling to recruits, parents, and the college football world at large. An über supportive small town fan base is a major part of our programs identity; AB getting booed has become a national story that totally contradicts what we are as a football program.
I just don't buy this argument that those boos are somehow the cause of our program's fall (or will cause it). Mario's inability to develop a QB is a far more serious threat to the program than any booing could do.

Also, by talking about it so much rather than STFU and fix the problem that is causing it, he is the one who is making it a storyline/issue. Nobody thinks fans being crass in the stands is a good thing, but the least harmful way of voicing your displeasure at a sporting event is a generic boo so I don't know why Mario is acting like this is a hill to die on.
Has he been talking about it that much? The only time I’ve seen him talk about it unprovoked was that candid moment on the field after the game. I don’t watch every press conference or interview but anytime it’s discussed in that setting it’s a reporter asking about it. In those instances MC has always given a pretty neutral answer and not made a big deal about it. The media, including Kirk all game, are the ones continuing to bring it up.

You are correct. Herbstreit went on and on about it Saturday. Prior to that MC was asked about it by Crepea at his Monday presser after the Cal game and then on Tuesday after practice another media scribe (don’t know who) asked Jaylon Redd about it. And right after the game on Friday night Ryan Walk was asked as well. So there have been plenty of instances of it being a subject of discussion.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Mario calls duck fans “family” and a “part of the program”, if he truly believes that then he shouldn’t expect fans to just be simple spectators watching college athletes play football. By calling fans those things he’s acknowledging that in today’s day fans want their team to succeed, fans have an emotional connection and desire to see Oregon perform to their potential and win a national championship. If he truly believes fans are a part of the program and have emotional investment into the team, then he should expect fan feedback during the good and the bad. Just the way it is in today’s sports. With that said I’m not going to boo but I’m not going to apologize for fans that boo when the team is drastically underperforming compared to their potential.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Phalanx wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:Ban any fans who boo the ducks during the game. That's the solution.
Boo
*your account has been suspended due to violation of terms*
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Mario calls duck fans “family” and a “part of the program”, if he truly believes that then he shouldn’t expect fans to just be simple spectators watching college athletes play football. By calling fans those things he’s acknowledging that in today’s day fans want their team to succeed, fans have an emotional connection and desire to see Oregon perform to their potential and win a national championship. If he truly believes fans are a part of the program and have emotional investment into the team, then he should expect fan feedback during the good and the bad. Just the way it is in today’s sports. With that said I’m not going to boo but I’m not going to apologize for fans that boo when the team is drastically underperforming compared to their potential.
I like this take...

I'm of the mind that the boo'ing was multifactorial. Not specifically directed at AB, but the arrogant/basic/boring play calling, the stubborn loyalty of the coaching staff, and gobsmacking'ly mediocre play for multiple seasons, well below the potential of the individual players.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I've already said I understand why people boo, and let's be honest... it wasn't wholly inappropriate given the context of that game at the moment it happened. I'm not trying to criticize people for booing/facepalming/whatever in that moment.

That said, it's not a good look, and there's no way to spin out of that. Makes us look weak and entitled. Gives other coaches reasons to negatively recruit us. It may or may not motivate some players, but it certainly doesn't help with what MC is trying to achieve.

Nobody should be banned over it, but it happened and it doesn't need to happen again. The program would be better off if it didn't.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lmduck

Oregon fans booing Ducks

Post by lmduck »

pezsez1 wrote:I've already said I understand why people boo, and let's be honest... it wasn't wholly inappropriate given the context of that game at the moment it happened. I'm not trying to criticize people for booing/facepalming/whatever in that moment.

That said, it's not a good look, and there's no way to spin out of that. Makes us look weak and entitled. Gives other coaches reasons to negatively recruit us. It may or may not motivate some players, but it certainly doesn't help with what MC is trying to achieve.

Nobody should be banned over it, but it happened and it doesn't need to happen again. The program would be better off if it didn't.
Very well said.

Not only does it make us look bad but it makes us look exactly like the UW fans that we call out as being entitled and spoiled.

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

After seeing the visitor list for the weekend, I really hope there is no booing during the game this week.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

karlhungis wrote:After seeing the visitor list for the weekend, I really hope there is no booing during the game this week.
I hope so too

alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Mario may be trying to shield AB and build his confidence by not publicly chastising him. Just like in basketball when a player is in a shooting slump, you encourage him and give him the confidence to keep shooting and bounce back.
I hope he is back to his performance level of the Ohio State game soon. Mario needs to figure out soon if AB's performances against Ohio State and 2-3 quarter vs UCLA were what he's capable of playing like every game or flukes.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I absolutely think the visitor list is compelling Mario's comments, and I think he picked the precise moment to say something, right after a big road victory and with a week to go before the home game so that the possible buzz over the comments had a chance to die down. It would be a terrible look for fans to boo with important recruits present, but an even worse look if the offense sputters vs Colorado, particularly if Brown misses easy passes like the ones that led to the booing. Hopefully the quarterback and the coaches give the fans something to cheer about.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Phalanx wrote:I absolutely think the visitor list is compelling Mario's comments, and I think he picked the precise moment to say something, right after a big road victory and with a week to go before the home game so that the possible buzz over the comments had a chance to die down. It would be a terrible look for fans to boo with important recruits present, but an even worse look if the offense sputters vs Colorado, particularly if Brown misses easy passes like the ones that led to the booing. Hopefully the quarterback and the coaches give the fans something to cheer about.
I agree 100%, if the ducks go up 21-0 in the first quarter and never let the game get within 2 scores from there I highly doubt there will be much booing, and this team is more than capable of blowing out Colorado and looking exciting to high school recruits while doing it. If the offense is drastically under-performing and the fans start to boo offensive recruits won’t think “I don’t want to play in front of fans that boo” before thinking “I don’t want to play for an offense like that.”