Should we bring the Hammer to MC?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

I think now is the time to ask the question... is it hammer time?

In all seriousness, how can a team with clearly greater talent be blown out in back-to-back efforts against the same team?
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Re: Should we bring the Hammer to MC?

Post by stlDUCKfan »

I don’t think Utah is 30 points better than Oregon but I think they’re better. Talent wise, I don’t think Oregon is that much better if at all.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Yes. We won't because we won ten games this year and won a conference title last year. But we looked bad winning most of those games this year and we won a title last year because of a fluke that got us into the game at 3-2. We are consistently below where we should be, we get up once or twice a year tops, and Cristobal just does not offer more than recruiting and great coachspeak. I want to move on.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I think the more concerning thing is there’s nothing to think we should do better next year. We out performed my expectations this year. I was thinking we’d end the regular season with 8 or 9 wins.

But next year, I’d be shocked if we won 9 games next year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

I don’t want to fire MC and I don’t want to lose MC to
Miami. The dude has done things at UO that no other coach could do. He’s a recruiting monster, we’ve mostly been pleased with his coaching hires, and he beat a CFB titan (tOSU). He’s also curb stomped Utah in the past.

We’re a really painful 10-3 right now, and I HAVE NO IDEA what Mario’s obsession with Brown is about, but we’re young and we’re beat up.

There are very obvious and significant areas in which MC needs to grow, but I think our odds are better giving him the chance to grow than if we’d let him go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think now would be the best chance for MC to bring in a really different/exciting OC instead of going with a retread.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Cristobal gets too much credit for being a good recruiter. Sure, his rankings are high, but does that really matter when we're getting curb stomped twice in three weeks by Utah? What are Utah's recruiting rankings, btw?

The beat downs by Utah are especially eye-opening because both teams are recruited/constructed to win with physicality. How is that going for us, and how is that going for Utah? Without looking at the rankings, which coach is better at recruiting?

He also gets a lot of credit for the win over Ohio State... but, with hindsight, how might that outcome have changed had Ohio State known that Anthony Brown can't throw farther than 5-8 yards?

I really like MC. I want him to do well here. But I also want him to play a QB who can throw, get an OC who can innovate, and to be better at evaluating talent than counting stars. I also want him to grow up a bit and realize that college football has changed. Committing to "physicality" rather than scoring points is a losing strategy.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

What exactly is everyone’s plan after firing him? I’m leaning more toward the fact that he’s leaving this weekend, so you’ll all get your wish. Think you’re unhappy now? Just wait for whatever underwhelming hire they end up with this late in the cycle, and they lose a significant portion of this class, leading to yet another rebuild. It’s going to be a rough couple of years if he does end up leaving.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

droop10 wrote:What exactly is everyone’s plan after firing him? I’m leaning more toward the fact that he’s leaving this weekend, so you’ll all get your wish. Think you’re unhappy now? Just wait for whatever underwhelming hire they end up with this late in the cycle, and they lose a significant portion of this class, leading to yet another rebuild. It’s going to be a rough couple of years if he does end up leaving.
And that's the problem, we have yet another gamble if MC is gone...
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't want him gone. I just want him to improve.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

I don't want him gone either. Can we just demote him to motivator and recruiter and leave the strategy, in-game decisions, staffing decisions, and offensive style to someone else?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

droop10 wrote:What exactly is everyone’s plan after firing him? I’m leaning more toward the fact that he’s leaving this weekend, so you’ll all get your wish. Think you’re unhappy now? Just wait for whatever underwhelming hire they end up with this late in the cycle, and they lose a significant portion of this class, leading to yet another rebuild. It’s going to be a rough couple of years if he does end up leaving.
Call me crazy but I think Oregon could get Lame Kiffin and I think that’d be an improvement over MC.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

dd10snoop28 wrote:In all seriousness, how can a team with clearly greater talent be blown out in back-to-back efforts against the same team?
Poor QB play and a bunch of injuries.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Boom wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:In all seriousness, how can a team with clearly greater talent be blown out in back-to-back efforts against the same team?
Look at USC, they had all the talent in the world but consistently loss to vastly lower talent teams. Talent is only one part of the winning formula. (important part)
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

alxtw wrote:
Boom wrote:
Look at USC, they had all the talent in the world but consistently loss to vastly lower talent teams. Talent is only one part of the winning formula. (important part)
This is exactly right. Chris Peterson at Boise State proved that good coaching trumps good recruiting. Our recruiting has been spectacular and our coaching has be abysmal. Our talent has been able to hide our poor coaching to a point, but now it’s been exposed.