New Offensive Coordinator

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: New Offensive Coordinator

Post by QuackininBama »

droop10 wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:Which begs the obvious question. Was Moorhead running HIS offense, or was he running the offense he was told to run.

I'm sure its crossed a lot of our minds, what if we were running a version of Chips offense with the athletes we have today? Its exciting to entertain the thought, that's for sure so it gets me thinking. Is MC just looking for another OC to sign off and run Mario's offense, or will he actually hand the entire offensive scheme to the new OC and stay out of the way? If the plan is its Mario's way or the highway, I don't see an elite OC signing up to run someone elses offense then take the blame when it fails, but if we hire an unknown guy who runs a creative offense (think CK before anyone knew his name) then our offense could be explosive next year.
Chip's offense wouldn't have fared any differently, because of the limitation at QB. I think people are too hung up on this supposedly being Cristobal's offense. I believe the offense was tailored to try to fit Brown's skillset. Despite what everyone thinks, the offense looked fine last year, minus Shough making some mental errors and losing confidence toward the end of the season, and that was with a limited playbook due to the lack of Spring and Fall camps. In this day and age, you're only as good as your QB. The young guys weren't ready to take over, so they did what they could with Brown. I see a bunch of people saying they would rather see Thompson struggle and make mistakes than watch the Brown offense, but those same people were calling for Shough's head last year at the first sign of trouble (and calling for Brown, because they had ascertained that he was a better fit for the offense and more talented). :lol:
Chicken or the egg. I counter with, who the hell designs an entire offense around a guy who can't throw the ball and has poor decision making on the field? So yea, I vote you put TT on the field on day one. We already knew what AB brought to the table and I don't see anyone screaming, "BENCH TT AND BRING IN BURMEISTER"!!!! But I do see your argument, I just don't think AB excited anyone by his play even before he was a starter. I mean, who the hell gets excited over a transfer from flipping Boston College? They arn't exactly known for their juggnaut offenses in the northeast.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Mario needs to run a Pro Style scheme at Oregon where we also put the QB under center. The QB should be given the chance to scramble but should not be a runner or used that way minus QB sneaks and bootlegs where its either open throw or green turf ahead.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
droop10 wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:Which begs the obvious question. Was Moorhead running HIS offense, or was he running the offense he was told to run.

I'm sure its crossed a lot of our minds, what if we were running a version of Chips offense with the athletes we have today? Its exciting to entertain the thought, that's for sure so it gets me thinking. Is MC just looking for another OC to sign off and run Mario's offense, or will he actually hand the entire offensive scheme to the new OC and stay out of the way? If the plan is its Mario's way or the highway, I don't see an elite OC signing up to run someone elses offense then take the blame when it fails, but if we hire an unknown guy who runs a creative offense (think CK before anyone knew his name) then our offense could be explosive next year.
Chip's offense wouldn't have fared any differently, because of the limitation at QB. I think people are too hung up on this supposedly being Cristobal's offense. I believe the offense was tailored to try to fit Brown's skillset. Despite what everyone thinks, the offense looked fine last year, minus Shough making some mental errors and losing confidence toward the end of the season, and that was with a limited playbook due to the lack of Spring and Fall camps. In this day and age, you're only as good as your QB. The young guys weren't ready to take over, so they did what they could with Brown. I see a bunch of people saying they would rather see Thompson struggle and make mistakes than watch the Brown offense, but those same people were calling for Shough's head last year at the first sign of trouble (and calling for Brown, because they had ascertained that he was a better fit for the offense and more talented). :lol:
I just posted this in another thread but I think it’s the opposite. I believe Brown was given the reigns because he most fit what MC/JM wanted to do on offense, despite the fact that he is likely the worst overall QB on the team.

Chip had his base offense and philosophy that didn’t change but he tailored his scheme to what he had available. In other words, he did whatever it took to succeed on offense because he was a great offensive mind. MC/JM seemed to do the opposite this year; they were willing to die on the hill of their offense even if it meant leaving entire positions of strength (WR) grossly underutilized and fielding a disfunctional offense that led directly to losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can perhaps see this argument with Butterfield. However, I don't think the argument makes a lot of sense with Thompson. Thompson was specifically recruited for this offense, so if they didn't think he was a fit, I don't think they would have recruited him in the first place. I think everyone just finds it hard to believe that he isn't ready to start right out of the gate. There's more to the QB position than just arm talent. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see Butterfield or Thompson in the 4th quarter last night. In fact, I left the game before the last drive (first time I've ever left a game early, and I've sat through some stinkers), once I saw Brown was coming back out.

However, I also believe that Cristobal has even more incentive to win than anyone on this board, so if he legitimately thought Thompson could succeed, he would have gone with him. I think people mistake the number of stars next to a guy's name with his current readiness. Those stars represent their college potential, and most guys aren't ready to roll from day 1. Despite his warts, Brown gave them the best chance to win. Like I said, the people complaining they didn't let Thompson go out and make mistakes are the same ones that complained that they didn't go with Brown over Shough the second Shough started making mistakes last season. I'm also fully on board with letting one of the young guys start the bowl game, though I see very little chance of that happening.

While Chip did make adjustments with an entire offseason to fit QBs, it's a lot harder to do midseason. We've seen how that offense fared with guys like Harper, Leaf, Roper (With a few weeks to adjust, they did have a great bowl game with Roper, but remember how sluggish it looked when he was actually the starter the next season), etc. coming in at QB. Again, even the best offenses can be limited with subpar QB play.

That being said, it's clear that Moorhead heavily values the QB run in his philosophy, which is not a great fit for Butterfield. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I believe Butterfield signed before the Moorhead hire was official, so I can see how that bad fit came to be. I do wish Moorhead was more adaptable and would have tried to use Butterfield. I think he has the best arm talent of the group.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

QuackininBama wrote:
droop10 wrote:

Chicken or the egg. I counter with, who the hell designs an entire offense around a guy who can't throw the ball and has poor decision making on the field? So yea, I vote you put TT on the field on day one. We already knew what AB brought to the table and I don't see anyone screaming, "BENCH TT AND BRING IN BURMEISTER"!!!! But I do see your argument, I just don't think AB excited anyone by his play even before he was a starter. I mean, who the hell gets excited over a transfer from flipping Boston College? They arn't exactly known for their juggnaut offenses in the northeast.
Haha, maybe you should go back and read the board during the SC game and bowl game last season. People were stoked about Brown, despite the fact that I brought up how his extensive sample at BC showed a guy that lacked accuracy. It may seem like a distant memory to many now, but I remember it vividly, because I think I was the only one against it from the start, stating that I thought sticking with Shough and letting him learn from his struggles was the ideal scenario, especially in a worthless Covid season where they didn't have a shot at doing anything special anyway. I do fault the coaches for the way they handled that one. I think the small glimpses of Brown got everyone excited, though he never once showed in those brief stints last season that he could throw an accurate deep ball, even severely overthrowing a wide open Williams in the end zone during the bowl game.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

droop10 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
droop10 wrote:

I just posted this in another thread but I think it’s the opposite. I believe Brown was given the reigns because he most fit what MC/JM wanted to do on offense, despite the fact that he is likely the worst overall QB on the team.

Chip had his base offense and philosophy that didn’t change but he tailored his scheme to what he had available. In other words, he did whatever it took to succeed on offense because he was a great offensive mind. MC/JM seemed to do the opposite this year; they were willing to die on the hill of their offense even if it meant leaving entire positions of strength (WR) grossly underutilized and fielding a disfunctional offense that led directly to losses.

I can perhaps see this argument with Butterfield. However, I don't think the argument makes a lot of sense with Thompson. Thompson was specifically recruited for this offense, so if they didn't think he was a fit, I don't think they would have recruited him in the first place. I think everyone just finds it hard to believe that he isn't ready to start right out of the gate. There's more to the QB position than just arm talent. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see Butterfield or Thompson in the 4th quarter last night. In fact, I left the game before the last drive (first time I've ever left a game early, and I've sat through some stinkers), once I saw Brown was coming back out.

However, I also believe that Cristobal has even more incentive to win than anyone on this board, so if he legitimately thought Thompson could succeed, he would have gone with him. I think people mistake the number of stars next to a guy's name with his current readiness. Those stars represent their college potential, and most guys aren't ready to roll from day 1. Despite his warts, Brown gave them the best chance to win. Like I said, the people complaining they didn't let Thompson go out and make mistakes are the same ones that complained that they didn't go with Brown over Shough the second Shough started making mistakes last season. I'm also fully on board with letting one of the young guys start the bowl game, though I see very little chance of that happening.

While Chip did make adjustments with an entire offseason to fit QBs, it's a lot harder to do midseason. We've seen how that offense fared with guys like Harper, Leaf, Roper (With a few weeks to adjust, they did have a great bowl game with Roper, but remember how sluggish it looked when he was actually the starter the next season), etc. coming in at QB. Again, even the best offenses can be limited with subpar QB play.

That being said, it's clear that Moorhead heavily values the QB run in his philosophy, which is not a great fit for Butterfield. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I believe Butterfield signed before the Moorhead hire was official, so I can see how that bad fit came to be. I do wish Moorhead was more adaptable and would have tried to use Butterfield. I think he has the best arm talent of the group.
So was Tanner Bailey, and he doesn’t fit this offense either so I’m not sure that’s a valid argument ha. I honestly have no idea what the thought process is in their QB recruiting.

I would agree that Thompson isn’t ready but Butterfield can sling it, so there should have been some attempt to tailor an offense around him and our stacked WR corps. That’s the strength of our team and Moorhead had a full season and off-season with Butterfield to do so.

While it may be true that MC favors a QB run heavy offense as we never ran Herbert until the very end of his last season. And Herbert had tremendous running abilities. So even if Mario prefers a running QB he is obviously capable of going with a pro-style guy as he did it for years with Herbert.

A lot of what your saying is totally valid but I don’t think it’s let’s MC and JM off the hook. They could have gone a different route this year with the offense but decided to die on the hill of their egos, IMO.

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

dthomas=ddixon wrote: They could have gone a different route this year with the offense but decided to die on the hill of their egos, IMO.
That is exactly how I felt last night when the second half started and I saw AB run out on the field. I was absolutely stunned. In two weeks and six quarters of football AB showed ZERO potential to beat, score or hell, even get 1st downs against Utah yet there he was yet again. I literally thought to myself, "the coaches have sealed the doors and will take the entire place down with everyone on board rather than change what they are doing. Unbelievable".
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Sad to see Moorehead go so soon, especially not really having a season to work with in 2020. This is not a knock on Anthony Brown (he is who he is - a streaky QB), but Moorehead's play-calling can't tell AB what read to make, so I do think the offense was limited to AB's abilities.

Think back to the final plat of the first half at Stanford when Oregon went for it - Brown pitches to Verdell and it's six, instead Brown kept it and the half expired with no points.

Look back to last night on the pick six - Travis Dye was streaking down the right side of the field for a likely touchdown, yet AB didn't look that way at all. I saw a similar play against Oregon State where Dye was open out of the backfield for a TD, but Brown didn't move off of his initial read.

Moorehead wasn't here long enough to gauge his development skills, so I won't comment on that, but I do think the playbook would have been opened up had Oregon had a more dynamic QB.

Also, it's hard to tell who the ultimate decision-maker is/was when it comes to clock management. Was it Joe or Mario who twice, in the span of two weeks, decided to try and score with less than 30 seconds on the clock deep in minus territory? Both times leading to points from Utah.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

pdxduck2013 wrote:Could it be Mastro (I have no opinion either way here)? I remember reading something from FishDuck recently and they had him listed at #1.
We are even more doomed if Mastro ends up being our OC and I want some of the s*** FishDuck is smoking if they legitimately had him as the #1 choice. That is insanity.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

UofO8 wrote:
pdxduck2013 wrote:Could it be Mastro (I have no opinion either way here)? I remember reading something from FishDuck recently and they had him listed at #1.
We are even more doomed if Mastro ends up being our OC and I want some of the s*** FishDuck is smoking if they legitimately had him as the #1 choice. That is insanity.
What's crazy is that he is showing up on a lot of lists...

https://fishduck.com/2021/11/seven-offe ... gon-ducks/

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/footb ... r-hotboard

https://duckswire.usatoday.com/lists/5- ... or-oregon/
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Mastro on those lists is sloppy work and all because of the Stanford game; which makes it all the more ridiculous to think that he'd be a candidate seeing as how we lost that game and it wasn't like the play calling transformed the Offense.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

pdxduck2013 wrote:Now that Moorhead has been announced as the new Akron head coach...who do you want/think the Ducks would pursue as the new OC?

It won’t matter unless MC leaves. He can’t bring himself to let his OC call the plays!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pdxduck2013 wrote:
UofO8 wrote:
What's crazy is that he is showing up on a lot of lists...

https://fishduck.com/2021/11/seven-offe ... gon-ducks/

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/footb ... r-hotboard

https://duckswire.usatoday.com/lists/5- ... or-oregon/
That last link is awful as its just internal candidates and Helf. Talk about a writer not having any imagination or clue.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

If it is indeed Mastro, will the O go back predominantly to the pistol? Not sure I like the sound of that, unless we have the correct pieces in place to make it viable.