New Offensive Coordinator

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

New Offensive Coordinator

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Now that Moorhead has been announced as the new Akron head coach...who do you want/think the Ducks would pursue as the new OC?
rockthief
Senior

Re: New Offensive Coordinator

Post by rockthief »

I continue to wonder about someone from FCS. Chip turned out ok.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

rockthief wrote:I continue to wonder about someone from FCS. Chip turned out ok.
If we expect minimal Offensive staff changes, ie OC-out; OC-in then I think the focus is on someone who can develop QBs and be the "pass-game coordinator." I wouldn't put a heavy focus on recruiting, especially with TT's (or JB but I've said my piece on him already) need for growth being the single-biggest factor for next year.

Pep Hamilton is the person who fits that bill to me and who might reasonably be available with $$$ thrown his way. I've also stated I think he should be worth a look as a possible HC as well having spent time at Stanford and Michigan already in addition to his work in the NFL. He's an excellent communicator and while I think he's a future NFL HC some-day, we have seen that the NFL will still hire college HC's to take over programs and due to his NFL background, I don't think a team would be put off by hiring him were to do well at Oregon. (I think Houston is a garbage franchise and he can be persuaded to leave)

Tom Herman is also someone who to my knowledge fits more as a pure OC than as a QB Coach but is certainly worth a call. He doesn't like recruiting apparently but I could care less about that when its the Offense that should sell itself to recruits by just playing the tape. (Seriously Mario, grow the hell up and run an NFL offense already as that's how you sell your program to the Top recruits) The Bears haven't been great on offense this year but he's also just an Analyst for them.

Now if Mario were to leave, an out-there choice for HC for me would be to interview Kellen Moore. Fantastic Offensive mind and if he desires to be a NFL HC someday, same as Pep, he's already got a background in the league where he could show college success and gain interest from a team.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Someone with creativity. Someone who Mc hands
the keys to and let's him run the show. The
run and shoot with our athletes that would be interesting
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Graham Harrell just became available
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Which begs the obvious question. Was Moorhead running HIS offense, or was he running the offense he was told to run.

I'm sure its crossed a lot of our minds, what if we were running a version of Chips offense with the athletes we have today? Its exciting to entertain the thought, that's for sure so it gets me thinking. Is MC just looking for another OC to sign off and run Mario's offense, or will he actually hand the entire offensive scheme to the new OC and stay out of the way? If the plan is its Mario's way or the highway, I don't see an elite OC signing up to run someone elses offense then take the blame when it fails, but if we hire an unknown guy who runs a creative offense (think CK before anyone knew his name) then our offense could be explosive next year.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Duck07 wrote:
rockthief wrote:I continue to wonder about someone from FCS. Chip turned out ok.
If we expect minimal Offensive staff changes, ie OC-out; OC-in then I think the focus is on someone who can develop QBs and be the "pass-game coordinator." I wouldn't put a heavy focus on recruiting, especially with TT's (or JB but I've said my piece on him already) need for growth being the single-biggest factor for next year.

Pep Hamilton is the person who fits that bill to me and who might reasonably be available with $$$ thrown his way. I've also stated I think he should be worth a look as a possible HC as well having spent time at Stanford and Michigan already in addition to his work in the NFL. He's an excellent communicator and while I think he's a future NFL HC some-day, we have seen that the NFL will still hire college HC's to take over programs and due to his NFL background, I don't think a team would be put off by hiring him were to do well at Oregon. (I think Houston is a garbage franchise and he can be persuaded to leave)

Tom Herman is also someone who to my knowledge fits more as a pure OC than as a QB Coach but is certainly worth a call. He doesn't like recruiting apparently but I could care less about that when its the Offense that should sell itself to recruits by just playing the tape. (Seriously Mario, grow the hell up and run an NFL offense already as that's how you sell your program to the Top recruits) The Bears haven't been great on offense this year but he's also just an Analyst for them.

Now if Mario were to leave, an out-there choice for HC for me would be to interview Kellen Moore. Fantastic Offensive mind and if he desires to be a NFL HC someday, same as Pep, he's already got a background in the league where he could show college success and gain interest from a team.
I don't think Moore is coming back to college. I think he'll legitimately be a top candidate for an NFL HC this offseason. Herman is probably the most realistic possibility here. That being said, if Mario does stick around, I think it's going to end up being a guy that nobody is currently talking about. We'll see though.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

duckfan22 wrote:Graham Harrell just became available
I'm not sure if I want us to implement the "just throw every pass to Drake London" offense. I don't think we have the right personnel for that.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

duckfan22 wrote:Someone with creativity. Someone who Mc hands
the keys to and let's him run the show. The
run and shoot with our athletes that would be interesting

Someone who brings a proven track record as an OC, as well as being a great recruiter.
John 3:36
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

QuackininBama wrote:Which begs the obvious question. Was Moorhead running HIS offense, or was he running the offense he was told to run.

I'm sure its crossed a lot of our minds, what if we were running a version of Chips offense with the athletes we have today? Its exciting to entertain the thought, that's for sure so it gets me thinking. Is MC just looking for another OC to sign off and run Mario's offense, or will he actually hand the entire offensive scheme to the new OC and stay out of the way? If the plan is its Mario's way or the highway, I don't see an elite OC signing up to run someone elses offense then take the blame when it fails, but if we hire an unknown guy who runs a creative offense (think CK before anyone knew his name) then our offense could be explosive next year.
Chip's offense wouldn't have fared any differently, because of the limitation at QB. I think people are too hung up on this supposedly being Cristobal's offense. I believe the offense was tailored to try to fit Brown's skillset. Despite what everyone thinks, the offense looked fine last year, minus Shough making some mental errors and losing confidence toward the end of the season, and that was with a limited playbook due to the lack of Spring and Fall camps. In this day and age, you're only as good as your QB. The young guys weren't ready to take over, so they did what they could with Brown. I see a bunch of people saying they would rather see Thompson struggle and make mistakes than watch the Brown offense, but those same people were calling for Shough's head last year at the first sign of trouble (and calling for Brown, because they had ascertained that he was a better fit for the offense and more talented). :lol:
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Could it be Mastro (I have no opinion either way here)? I remember reading something from FishDuck recently and they had him listed at #1.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

pdxduck2013 wrote:Could it be Mastro (I have no opinion either way here)? I remember reading something from FishDuck recently and they had him listed at #1.
That would be a career limiting choice for Mario.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pdxduck2013 wrote:Could it be Mastro (I have no opinion either way here)? I remember reading something from FishDuck recently and they had him listed at #1.
Mastro is merely an interim choice and should not be thought of as an option for OC. The Stanford game he was the OC and while I can't fault him too much, I can grade him as a RB coach and it doesn't warrant a promotion.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

droop10 wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:Which begs the obvious question. Was Moorhead running HIS offense, or was he running the offense he was told to run.

Chip's offense wouldn't have fared any differently, because of the limitation at QB. I think people are too hung up on this supposedly being Cristobal's offense. I believe the offense was tailored to try to fit Brown's skillset. Despite what everyone thinks, the offense looked fine last year, minus Shough making some mental errors and losing confidence toward the end of the season, and that was with a limited playbook due to the lack of Spring and Fall camps. In this day and age, you're only as good as your QB. The young guys weren't ready to take over, so they did what they could with Brown. I see a bunch of people saying they would rather see Thompson struggle and make mistakes than watch the Brown offense, but those same people were calling for Shough's head last year at the first sign of trouble (and calling for Brown, because they had ascertained that he was a better fit for the offense and more talented). :lol:
I just posted this in another thread but I think it’s the opposite. I believe Brown was given the reigns because he most fit what MC/JM wanted to do on offense, despite the fact that he is likely the worst overall QB on the team.

Chip had his base offense and philosophy that didn’t change but he tailored his scheme to what he had available. In other words, he did whatever it took to succeed on offense because he was a great offensive mind. MC/JM seemed to do the opposite this year; they were willing to die on the hill of their offense even if it meant leaving entire positions of strength (WR) grossly underutilized and fielding a disfunctional offense that led directly to losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Syracuse fired OC Sterlin Gilbert (runs the Briles Veer and Shoot offense) so that Dino Babers could find someone else to be the fall guy for their poor season this year. But their offense looked to have improved quite a bit from 2020 to 2021. He's from Texas, so could help with QB recruiting down there since that is where a lot of the top QB prospects are these days. What do you all think?