Canzano - If Mario Leaves, Chip may be THE target.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Re: Canzano - If Mario Leaves, Chip may be THE target.

Post by cmmadness »

GDuck wrote:Chris Peterson would be my first target. Might get Lake as part of it? Would love to see the Husky reaction to this.
I've been waiting for this name to come up. He is a west coast guy who has shown previous interest in Oregon;
and he flat out wins. If Mario is indeed off to Miami, then we have successively hired two coaches with no prior
ties to the PNW, and the resulting moves out of town are hardly a surprise.

It's difficult to believe that Jonathan Smith would leave OSU for a floundering Miami of FSU.
Hire a coach who desires to stay for the long haul.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Oregon desperately needs to hit a home run if Mario leaves. As great as Chip era was and as productive as Mario was (3 straight P12 title games), Oregon has not been able to keep a coach longer than four years after having so much tenure with Mike Bellotti.

Chip: 09-12
Helf: 13-16
Willie: 17
Mario: 18-21(?!)

That's an awful lot of turnover.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

Rumor has it that Spencer Rattler is transferring to UCLA. Would both CK and Rattler end up in Eugene?
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

73duck wrote:Rumor has it that Spencer Rattler is transferring to UCLA. Would both CK and Rattler end up in Eugene?
I remember a ton of conversations about Chip when he was rumored to leave. Chip didn't want to be here. He thought he would be a rock star with UCLA/USC. His idea was, it would so much easier to recruit (Its now known he is just a lazy recruiter and doesn't even like that part of the job) so no. To answer the question in my opinion, he will NEVER come back north for ANY team.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

QuackininBama wrote:
73duck wrote:Rumor has it that Spencer Rattler is transferring to UCLA. Would both CK and Rattler end up in Eugene?
I remember a ton of conversations about Chip when he was rumored to leave. Chip didn't want to be here. He thought he would be a rock star with UCLA/USC. His idea was, it would so much easier to recruit (Its now known he is just a lazy recruiter and doesn't even like that part of the job) so no. To answer the question in my opinion, he will NEVER come back north for ANY team.
Another thought I just had regarding Chip, Dino Babers is on thin ice at Syracuse, having made staff changes in order to get another year. With Chip being an east coast guy, would he jump if that job opened? Would he want a clause in his contract that would enable him to leave if certain jobs opened?
John 3:36
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I remember a ton of conversations about Chip when he was rumored to leave. Chip didn't want to be here. He thought he would be a rock star with UCLA/USC. His idea was, it would so much easier to recruit (Its now known he is just a lazy recruiter and doesn't even like that part of the job) so no.
If this is true, then we might have a better chance of getting him back now that ole' what's-his-face is now at USC.

Chip Kelly + the Oregon brand was a powerful force, and with the loaded roster he'd inherit he could possibly rebuild that in an instant.

That said, I'm open-minded. I just hope our next coach is an Xx and Os expert who can take advantage of the roster we have in place.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

pezsez1 wrote:
I remember a ton of conversations about Chip when he was rumored to leave. Chip didn't want to be here. He thought he would be a rock star with UCLA/USC. His idea was, it would so much easier to recruit (Its now known he is just a lazy recruiter and doesn't even like that part of the job) so no.
If this is true, then we might have a better chance of getting him back now that ole' what's-his-face is now at USC.

Chip Kelly + the Oregon brand was a powerful force, and with the loaded roster he'd inherit he could possibly rebuild that in an instant.

That said, I'm open-minded. I just hope our next coach is an Xx and Os expert who can take advantage of the roster we have in place.
Chances are very good if Mario
leaves which all signs indicate he will, I would bet a good number of current players hit the transfer portal. We know KT is gone and guessing McKinley will declare for the draft but I think you will see guys leave for other schools and the recruiting class will be decimated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I could easily see Sewell leaving for Utah to join his brother for a final year.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

lmduck wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

Chances are very good if Mario
leaves which all signs indicate he will, I would bet a good number of current players hit the transfer portal. We know KT is gone and guessing McKinley will declare for the draft but I think you will see guys leave for other schools and the recruiting class will be decimated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm waiting to see who they hire before I'd make that assumption. We need to keep in mind that bringing in a good coach may result in very few losses.

Another thing to consider is that December 15th is only the FIRST day of the signing period. Some of these players may delay signing until the emotional effects wear off and then sign later. I just think it's too early to tell.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It'd be surprising if they retain half of this recruiting class. Also really expecting around 10-20 transfers regardless of who they hire.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

greenyellow wrote:It'd be surprising if they retain half of this recruiting class. Also really expecting around 10-20 transfers regardless of who they hire.
I'm trying to look on the bright side. We may end up with a big name coach who can hold things together like Cristobol did when WT left. A proven coach with a similar personality that also has a strong work ethic would be fantastic!

It may hurt us this year, but if he's successful on the field next year then we'll have plenty of spots to fill in 2023.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm trying to look on the bright side.
Here's the bright side.

The Cristobal Era was a resounding WIN for our program. He rescued us from a post-Helf/Willie dumpster fire and made us relevant again. Years from now, nothing else will really matter.

Yeah, we're in a bit of a pickle right now, but if Mullens makes a good hire then we can retain most of our roster and even some of this recruiting class. We could be in win-now mode for the next few years.

Sit back and enjoy the show. 8-)
Willie Taggart is a dick.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pezsez1 wrote:
I'm trying to look on the bright side.
Here's the bright side.

The Cristobal Era was a resounding WIN for our program. He rescued us from a post-Helf/Willie dumpster fire and made us relevant again. Years from now, nothing else will really matter.

Yeah, we're in a bit of a pickle right now, but if Mullens makes a good hire then we can retain most of our roster and even some of this recruiting class. We could be in win-now mode for the next few years.

Sit back and enjoy the show. 8-)
Can Mullens make a good FB hire? He's not exactly batting a high percentage.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

bellsduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
bellsduck wrote:I'm not sure Chip has shown anything since he left Oregon that makes me want him back.
He had to rebuild the UCLA program, unlike inheriting a lot of talent at Oregon. He went 8-4 this season, so that's respectable.

I think Chip might stick around this time - if hired. As long as he kept winning at Oregon and kept them relevant in the conference, and occasional national championship race, the Duck fans should stay happy. Also, if a 12 team playoff happens soon, as expected, that would make the playoffs easier to attain.

I'd rather have Petersen if I thought he'd stick around long term, but I don't think he would.
He didn't have to rebuild the UCLA program and if you believe he had to, then you have to recognize that he hasn't rebuilt them.

Nobody we get is sticking around long-term, so lets hope we can get 5 years in before they take a higher profile job and we accept the results from their rise in the coaching ranks before doing this again.
It does seem that we have become a stepping stone program instead of a destination program
I don't really see the MC situation as a "stepping stone" move. He's going home, plain and simple. If anything he's stepping down.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

EncinitasDuck wrote:
I don't really see the MC situation as a "stepping stone" move. He's going home, plain and simple. If anything he's stepping down.
By that logic so was Taggart being that his family were all FSU fans.

I think we should just embrace it like we did with our "lack of tradition." I think Pep Hamilton is a great teacher and coach of the QB position. I don't know if he's a HC fit or not, but man I'd love to throw some serious money his way to be a highly paid OC before he takes a better NFL job than what he has in Houston.

Just get amazing coaches to come in period and when they leave, the openings should help attract other top-tier candidates knowing the support they'll get.

Oregon has a long and deep Coaching Tree, we should embrace it.