Next Duck Coach: DAN LANNING

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UofO8
Senior

Re: Next Duck Coach

Post by UofO8 »

Duck07 wrote:Sounds like Rob isn't going to cut any corners and be direct in his approach.

Eh, maybe its just me but this hire would do absolutely nothing for me
WestCoastDux
Two Star Recruit

Post by WestCoastDux »

No thank you! Sitake was a member of Gary Anderson's trainwreck of a staff at OSU, & wasn't able to move the needle recruiting-wise for the Beavs either. So no, hard pass on Sitake.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Sitake would be the first Polynesian head man at a power 5, no?

Doesn't really do it for me, either. I think he'd do fine, but doesn't have the recruiting prowess to compete nationally. Though he was on the Gary Andersen staff, if was actually when Sitake left that the wheels came off.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:No I think I'm pretty accurate. There has been a lot of bad coaches but there has never been a bad coach that had a bad year and thought he was successful enough to leave for his dream job.
You weren't even a poster when Taggart was hired, nobody cares what you thought about his hire.

Meanwhile, OF4L did get his insider info dignity back when he told us all about Keith Hayward being a coach back when Taggart was hired. There are good posters on here, don't act like jerk when you disagree with others on here.
I'm sorry I'm not trying to act like I know it all and everyone else was wrong but I just remember how frustrated I was by that hire. I argued with a few people about it on a different forum I don't think it was here so I'm not calling out anyone on this particular forum. I'm just saying in general Oregon was above Willie Taggert and I hope Oregon doesn't settle again.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

StevensTechU wrote:Sitake would be the first Polynesian head man at a power 5, no?

Doesn't really do it for me, either. I think he'd do fine, but doesn't have the recruiting prowess to compete nationally. Though he was on the Gary Andersen staff, if was actually when Sitake left that the wheels came off.
I agree, Sitake doesn’t get me super excited, but dang - he has done a good job at BYU. 11 wins last year, 10 wins this year including 5 over Pac12 schools. All that with BYU being probably the most difficult school in the country to recruit to. He’s not my first choice but I like him better than any of the retreads.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Sitake would be the first Polynesian head man at a power 5, no?

I agree, Sitake doesn’t get me super excited, but dang - he has done a good job at BYU. 11 wins last year, 10 wins this year including 5 over Pac12 schools. All that with BYU being probably the most difficult school in the country to recruit to. He’s not my first choice but I like him better than any of the retreads.
I actually don't mind him in fact in certain ways he reminds me of Cristobal but he is better in a lot of ways too. Also, he is a west coast guy so I could see him staying at Oregon longer then a lot of other coaches with his type of resume.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Sitake definitely doesn't move the needle for me. I get it that BYU would be difficult to recruit for, but his classes are consistently ranked near the 70s. We need to do waaaaaaaaay better than that to eventually get a national championship.

EDIT: I'd love to be convinced otherwise, though.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

pezsez1 wrote:Sitake definitely doesn't move the needle for me. I get it that BYU would be difficult to recruit for, but his classes are consistently ranked near the 70s. We need to do waaaaaaaaay better than that to eventually get a national championship.
The thing is I feel like recruiting at Oregon would be way easier but recruiting is the one big flaw that he has so far.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

pezsez1 wrote:Sitake definitely doesn't move the needle for me. I get it that BYU would be difficult to recruit for, but his classes are consistently ranked near the 70s. We need to do waaaaaaaaay better than that to eventually get a national championship.

Good point. However, he’s winning - so either he’s better at evaluating talent than our coaches and the recruiting services, he’s better at coaching up players, his schemes are light years ahead of anything in the pac12, or a combination of these things. Once again, he’s not #1 on my list, but if he were hired I think there can be warranted optimism.

But please Rob, bring in Primetime for an interview.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:

Good point. However, he’s winning - so either he’s better at evaluating talent than our coaches and the recruiting services, he’s better at coaching up players, his schemes are light years ahead of anything in the pac12, or a combination of these things. Once again, he’s not #1 on my list, but if he were hired I think there can be warranted optimism.

But please Rob, bring in Primetime for an interview.
Do you think he has a Dream School? Frankly at this point we need to see if Rex Grossman is in coaching so we can tick off all 3 of the big Florida schools with a hat tip to OC Scott Frost becoming the HC at UCF. In addition to our former FIU coach at Miami and the FSU guy at FAU we're pretty much only the Gators away from the getting our retirement bingo card!
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I now hope it's Dave Aranda
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

duck023 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:No I think I'm pretty accurate. There has been a lot of bad coaches but there has never been a bad coach that had a bad year and thought he was successful enough to leave for his dream job.
You weren't even a poster when Taggart was hired, nobody cares what you thought about his hire.

Meanwhile, OF4L did get his insider info dignity back when he told us all about Keith Hayward being a coach back when Taggart was hired. There are good posters on here, don't act like jerk when you disagree with others on here.
I'm sorry I'm not trying to act like I know it all and everyone else was wrong but I just remember how frustrated I was by that hire. I argued with a few people about it on a different forum I don't think it was here so I'm not calling out anyone on this particular forum. I'm just saying in general Oregon was above Willie Taggert and I hope Oregon doesn't settle again.

I was pretty upset with the WT hire. It was a bad hire then and still is. I’m pretty sure on one forum I even said Hoke would have been a better hire, which wasn’t me wanting Hoke.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

I would like to see a much longer resume from Sitake. Two years of success does not a career make, however he was 5-0 against the Pac this year which is no easy task considering how limited his recruiting pool is. He is doing something right.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Here's a name everyone will know and love...

...drumroll

Brady Hoke! :-)

In all seriousness, I don't want him, but what he showed as a DC under Helf, which he'd never done before, isn't really a reflection of his capability as a head coach.

He won big at Ball State and SDU before going to Michigan. Although he didn't do as well at UM, he did have an 11-1 season, as well as a winning record. Now he's back at SDU winning 11 games again this year (so far).

With how many big name jobs that have been open (and filled) so far this season it's going to be interesting how this plays out. If Mullens whiffs on our top 2-3 candidates he may have to make a very hard decision that might not be as popular with the fan base.
John 3:36
lmduck

Next Duck Coach

Post by lmduck »

SuperDuck wrote:Here's a name everyone will know and love...

...drumroll

Brady Hoke! :-)

In all seriousness, I don't want him, but what he showed as a DC under Helf, which he'd never done before, isn't really a reflection of his capability as a head coach.

He won big at Ball State and SDU before going to Michigan. Although he didn't do as well at UM, he did have an 11-1 season, as well as a winning record. Now he's back at SDU winning 11 games again this year (so far).

With how many big name jobs that have been open (and filled) so far this season it's going to be interesting how this plays out. If Mullens whiffs on our top 2-3 candidates he may have to make a very hard decision that might not be as popular with the fan base.
wow- not really sure if this is intended as humor or you are serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk