Which coaches do we lose with Cristobal?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck

Re: Which coaches do we lose with Cristobal?

Post by lmduck »

northbeachsf wrote:Mario right now:
So here is what I am thinking on offense. Tyler hands the ball to Jaylon…no he fakes to Jaylon…no wait, he actually gives it to Jaylon. Then Jaylon runs into the back of the left guard as hard as he can with his eyes closed.

I need someone who can call this play for me 50 times a game. Would you like to be my new OC?
Okay- this is funny! There is one other play they might run as well and that would be to throw the ball downfield (8-10 yards- new definition of downfield) and have it hit the turf and then the receiver who was actually in the area but 15-20 yards down field looks back at the QB and says 'WTH' well, maybe he says something else but this is a family site.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Mastro headed to Nevada in a non-coaching role.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

greenyellow wrote:Mastro headed to Nevada in a non-coaching role.
Honestly from a personal perspective this is really good for him. He needs to be close to his family at this time due to a serious health matter and this is a great role for him. He had a rough year last year personally so glad this worked for him.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

McClendon just left Miami for the same position at Georgia. It’s really interesting how much trouble Mario is having with coaching hires. Makes you wonder just how much having an athletic department and program so supportive and dialed in props up some of these coaches. From the outside looking in, it seems like Mario’s pitch is significantly less persuasive at Miami.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:McClendon just left Miami for the same position at Georgia. It’s really interesting how much trouble Mario is having with coaching hires. Makes you wonder just how much having an athletic department and program so supportive and dialed in props up some of these coaches. From the outside looking in, it seems like Mario’s pitch is significantly less persuasive at Miami.
The AD Support Staff is growing even more thanks to Mario's departure and the money Miami had to shell out to acquire him. I know the board is in agreement about the importance of Rob Mullens but it should also serve for the few detractors of his that all those little things within the AD add up to much bigger things that we don't see but help make the Coaches lives that much easier. Obviously McClendon has strong ties to Georgia so perhaps Bryan made his play for the OC job and Mario balked so he walked right up to Athens instead.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:McClendon just left Miami for the same position at Georgia. It’s really interesting how much trouble Mario is having with coaching hires. Makes you wonder just how much having an athletic department and program so supportive and dialed in props up some of these coaches. From the outside looking in, it seems like Mario’s pitch is significantly less persuasive at Miami.
The AD Support Staff is growing even more thanks to Mario's departure and the money Miami had to shell out to acquire him. I know the board is in agreement about the importance of Rob Mullens but it should also serve for the few detractors of his that all those little things within the AD add up to much bigger things that we don't see but help make the Coaches lives that much easier. Obviously McClendon has strong ties to Georgia so perhaps Bryan made his play for the OC job and Mario balked so he walked right up to Athens instead.
100%. And it’s not just Mario, there’s a reason every coach we hire has success, even in the other sports. Even Taggart, who turned out to be a terrible coach, looked good enough in his time here that he was able to leave for his dream job.

Which circles back to the whole stepping stone issue. I think people are getting it wrong when they use that term as a criticism or think it’s a weakness. The truth is there are things about this school and AD almost ensure a coach will have some level of success. And some pretty average coaches have been to look better than they actually are.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:100%. And it’s not just Mario, there’s a reason every coach we hire has success, even in the other sports. Even Taggart, who turned out to be a terrible coach, looked good enough in his time here that he was able to leave for his dream job.

Which circles back to the whole stepping stone issue. I think people are getting it wrong when they use that term as a criticism or think it’s a weakness. The truth is there are things about this school and AD almost ensure a coach will have some level of success. And some pretty average coaches have been to look better than they actually are.
The Oregon "Coaching Tree" has some seriously deep roots and it would make for one interesting graphic to show all the coaches who passed through the school either as a coach or player.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

I’m going to tip my cap and wish MC success at his alma mater and back in his hometown.

Yes, he’s conservative and yes he’s stubborn but he’s also incredibly passionate, authentic & pretty damn intelligent. At some point he’s going to figure out that he excels as a CEO, culture creator & recruiting closer and he will let his coaches coach.

When he does, with his ability to acquire raw talent, I believe The U will surpass Clemson as the dominant ACC program.

The only question in my mind is how long it takes him to realize that.

Remember how Bellotti allegedly pissed off Borges, Ludwig & Crowton at times (don’t know about Tedford) with his “meddling” in the offense & what took us into the next level was him backing up and giving Chip 100% free reign offensively.

Hell, even Saban stayed stubborn well into his 60’s.

Mario will figure it out. I wish him well.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Mario finally got his DC lol...Kevin Steele. The guy who was supposedly actively sabotaging Malzahn behind the scenes at Auburn and didn't have a job this past season. He beat out the juggernaut of Maryland for his services too.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
100%. And it’s not just Mario, there’s a reason every coach we hire has success, even in the other sports. Even Taggart, who turned out to be a terrible coach, looked good enough in his time here that he was able to leave for his dream job.

No coach since Brooks left has had more success then they had at UO. I can’t think of any in any mens sports actually. The support from UO and Phil really is tough to replace once you leave UO.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

bdkipe wrote:I’m going to tip my cap and wish MC success at his alma mater and back in his hometown.

Yes, he’s conservative and yes he’s stubborn but he’s also incredibly passionate, authentic & pretty damn intelligent. At some point he’s going to figure out that he excels as a CEO, culture creator & recruiting closer and he will let his coaches coach.

When he does, with his ability to acquire raw talent, I believe The U will surpass Clemson as the dominant ACC program.

The only question in my mind is how long it takes him to realize that.

Remember how Bellotti allegedly pissed off Borges, Ludwig & Crowton at times (don’t know about Tedford) with his “meddling” in the offense & what took us into the next level was him backing up and giving Chip 100% free reign offensively.

Hell, even Saban stayed stubborn well into his 60’s.

Mario will figure it out. I wish him well.
I agree that Mario has great potential once he realizes his own weaknesses (offensive strategy/playcalling), but I imagine once he realizes it’ll be way too late cause the Miami program and fanbase is not near as patient and forgiving as the Oregon program and fanbase.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Does anyone know how many OC’s say no to Miami and Mario before someone finally said yes? I think Mario has a uphill battle in regards to staying out of his own way.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

There are rumors floating around in the twitter world that BMac is already telling recruits not to go to Miami because Mario will not utilize their skills since he wants a run heavy offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

He's doubling down on a heavy-run offense.