MC and the Pac-12 Championship

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

MC and the Pac-12 Championship

Post by QuackininBama »

Hindsight being 20/20.........since its well known MC knew (somehow although I'm fairly certain its not quite legal) that weeks ago MC knew Miami was going to pursue him and back up the brinks truck to do it. That puts it on or before the initial Utah game although it very well may have been after to be fair, but he certainly knew by the Pac-12 championship game and in fact very likely he had already made up his mind.
As another poster on the boards brought up, and I would give you credit but don't want to scroll back through a 100 pages to find your quote, MC left AB on the field during that game and it was messed up. That made AB somewhat of a scapegoat for the terrible loss, however if you follow that line of thinking, and follow me here, I am not making wild accusations however, he is coaching for the Pac-12 championship right? And if we win that game, we go...........to the Rose Bowl, the grandaddy of them all. That all but makes it IMPOSSIBLE for him to leave if we win that game. NOBODY but NOBODY leaves a team on its way to the Rose Bowl and bails on their team. The national media would absolutely roast him and even the Miami organization would be horrified. The entire nation would seriously toast the guy. So in a way, in order for him to get his dream job, Oregon cannot win the Pac-12 championship.

Now, before you all roast me I am not saying he threw the game, not at all. But I am saying he had no motivation for us to win that game. Utah is a steaming train this year, they are the real deal and by all accounts, I do think they are better then us and they won that game. PERIOD. But I am wondering MC's psyche as he is coaching a game that if he wins, nearly prevents him from getting the Miami position.

Something to think about.
Alan
Senior

Re: MC and the Pac-12 Championship

Post by Alan »

I will start by saying I had renewed respect, a ton of respect, for Mario for what he did for Duck football since he took over. Clear back to Helf destroying the team and Willie and his clowns who put kids in the hospital. Renewed because of Mario’s ball and respect he gave the Ducks fans by going on Conzano’s show. I would be very surprised if any other coach leaving for another HC job has ever done that at this level.

That said I think Moorhead completely it in since the first Utah game and Mario may not think this but I think he mailed it in to an extent, including practices, meetings, etc.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

QuackininBama wrote:Hindsight being 20/20.........since its well known MC knew (somehow although I'm fairly certain its not quite legal) that weeks ago MC knew Miami was going to pursue him and back up the brinks truck to do it. That puts it on or before the initial Utah game although it very well may have been after to be fair, but he certainly knew by the Pac-12 championship game and in fact very likely he had already made up his mind.
As another poster on the boards brought up, and I would give you credit but don't want to scroll back through a 100 pages to find your quote, MC left AB on the field during that game and it was messed up. That made AB somewhat of a scapegoat for the terrible loss, however if you follow that line of thinking, and follow me here, I am not making wild accusations however, he is coaching for the Pac-12 championship right? And if we win that game, we go...........to the Rose Bowl, the grandaddy of them all. That all but makes it IMPOSSIBLE for him to leave if we win that game. NOBODY but NOBODY leaves a team on its way to the Rose Bowl and bails on their team. The national media would absolutely roast him and even the Miami organization would be horrified. The entire nation would seriously toast the guy. So in a way, in order for him to get his dream job, Oregon cannot win the Pac-12 championship.

Now, before you all roast me I am not saying he threw the game, not at all. But I am saying he had no motivation for us to win that game. Utah is a steaming train this year, they are the real deal and by all accounts, I do think they are better then us and they won that game. PERIOD. But I am wondering MC's psyche as he is coaching a game that if he wins, nearly prevents him from getting the Miami position.

Something to think about.
I honestly think we are stretching things a bit here.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

lmduck wrote:
I honestly think we are stretching things a bit here.[/quote]

Am I? Lets look at our "What coaches are we losing" thread:
Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote:I didn’t see where this was posted elsewhere, if posted please combine or delete.

I believe we will certainly lose Mirabel, Mastro? Big Joe? Feld? Thoughts or reality? Just want to keep track on how big of the hit the Ducks take with this change.
Mirabel and Bobby Williams are gone. Feld and other support staff that Mario brought on are likely gone too.

Mastro and Ken Wilson might end up at Nevada.
Moorhead was gone a couple days after the Pac-12 Championship game. You think his agent set that up in a matter of hours? No way, that was in the works for weeks just like MC's contract. I can only imagine how many details have to be accounted for in a coaching contract. You don't just whip those up in a couple of hours. So to understand that, you have to know the negotiations have been going on for weeks, and that case, that means that Mirabel, Mastro, Joe, Feld...............they all had a heads up that he was gone to Miami. Basically the entire coaching staff knew MC was gone, so naturally, and I don't fault them for it, but they all had to figure out where they were going to go as well. Moving, schools, bills, realtors, family..........there is a lot of moving parts with a move 2000 miles across the country and only a couple weeks to prepare.

While it may be uncomfortable to hear, not a single coach was focused on the final 3 weeks of football. They were focusing on the next five years.

Hell I'm not even mad at AB or the offense or anyone on the team. The truth is, the entire coaching staff had already checked out. Its not wild speculation, it is what it is.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I think Mario has good intentions but didn’t handle things well. My theory is he knew before the first Utah game but felt the program and players deserves to have him stick around through the end to get in the CFP, but in hindsight it might have been better if he and Moorhead were gone. It was clear they weren’t focused on the games and their minds were elsewhere and as a result Oregon got blown out twice and only beat the Beavers because the Beavers played way below their standards.

But then again the offense has been awful all season so maybe it was just the norm. It’s all speculation, but I do wonder if Mario and Moorhead just left a while ago if the team would’ve looked different in the last few weeks.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Since this thread is becoming a place to throw theories, here's another thought without any bit facts I was thinking the other day.

As people in the same profession have close relations and will share their inside information once in a while, what if Mario's agent was sharing with Lincoln's agent that Mario was strongly considering or taking the Miami job. Being how calculating and cunning Lincoln Riley is, he might have thought he'd have even less competition on the field in the Pac12 and recruiting trail in the west coast if he takes the USC job. :lol:
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Am I? Lets look at our "What coaches are we losing" thread:
Bama, we have threads on which recruits we will lose, which player jump into the portal, sorry if my which coaches do we lose bothers you.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

alxtw wrote:Since this thread is becoming a place to throw theories, here's another thought without any bit facts I was thinking the other day.

As people in the same profession have close relations and will share their inside information once in a while, what if Mario's agent was sharing with Lincoln's agent that Mario was strongly considering or taking the Miami job. Being how calculating and cunning Lincoln Riley is, he might have thought he'd have even less competition on the field in the Pac12 and recruiting trail in the west coast if he takes the USC job. :lol:
I'm not unconvinced that Cristobal left because of Riley. Maybe Mario realized that his meal ticket is recruiting and that he is not elite in other aspects of coaching. Riley looks like he might out recruit Mario, so without top classes the wheels could come off the Cristobal bus pretty quickly. Rather than waiting for that to happen he bailed to Miami.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

You guys remember we soundly beat a good Oregon State team between our beatdowns, right?
Could Mario & Co. have been distracted? Sure. But these players loved him til the end. If there was a stark change in his approach toward the end, we’d see it reflected in the players’ responses to him leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

whosyourwally wrote: If there was a stark change in his approach toward the end, we’d see it reflected in the players’ responses to him leaving.
No sir, I assure there was no change whatsoever in the final weeks. NOTHING changed. Not the gameplan, the personal, the defense, NOTHING. Even down 31-3, AB trotted right back on the field. There were NO changes from the first Utah game to the Pac-12 Championship. NONE.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

I'm picking up what you are putting down...

We will never know for sure, but your theory actually makes some sense....at least as much sense as whatever the 'uck decision making was going on down the stretch. Never have I been more baffled.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

When Mario and his agent started talks with Miami is going to get answered some day and for the current players and parents, I think they feel like it wasn't a 1-week courtship like Mario wants us all to believe but that this all happened before the Civil War and potentially before the 1st Utah game. We already know that Moorhead had checked out because it was already leaked how Akron was going to hire him as HC.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

This might be an indicator:

"Politically connected lawyer assembles team to pitch UM football stadium in Coral Gables

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... rylink=cpy

“We have the best fans! No stone unturned... Ruiz Family has named a Miami Orange Bowl Stadium Committee. It will be released in a few hours,” he tweeted Sunday night. “Fans, this is going to happen!!! I am currently working around the clock. WE WILL HAVE A STATE OF THE ART STADIUM!”

"Ruiz is related to Cristobal by marriage, a spokeswoman confirmed."
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

At the very least we had a HC and OC that had jobs waiting for them, so that game was of little consequence to them. It’s pretty obvious they were mailing it in when they didn’t even try to roll out an effective offensive game plan.