Who is the greatest offensive football player Oregon ever?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Who is the greatest offensive football player Oregon ever?

Post by duck023 »

Although I think you could argue Mariota and I would understand that because he was so good that I almost felt guilty because everything seemed so easy. He could throw much better than Tebow, but he was also much faster too and that is another Heisman that I'm comparing him too.

However, I'm going to go with Lamichael James. I have never seen a running back carry a team on his shoulders like Lamichael James did. I'm also not sure Chip is seen as the hottest new coach if Lamichael didn't carry his teams. Reggie Bush had Leinhart with a great passing game, and also White to relieve him. Lamichael had Darron Thomas, the best WR was Maehl and Barner didn't get very many touches at that time. So, I'm going with Lamichael as the greatest offensive player in Oregon history.

However, there are so many great offensive players that Oregon has had I'd understand choosing Mariota, Jonathan Stewart, Joey Harrington, Justin Herbert, etc. Heck I'd buy an argument for Onterio Smith even if I'm more of a Morris guy.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: Who is the greatest offensive football player Oregon eve

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

LaMike in college was magic. Closest thing to Barry Sanders I’ve seen in my lifetime. DAT was a bigger home run threat, but so many of LMJ’s runs should have been for a loss, but he would squirt out for a 5 yard gain. That’s something that’s hard to quantify in the stats.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Agree with mariota.

Could have been Herbert if he didn't have such a horrible WR corp who kept dropping passes and similar quality quality players and coaches as mariota had.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

My head says LaMike, but my heart says Dennis Dixon.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Does it have to be a skill player? There is a certain LT that was pretty damn great.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Bobby Moore, ever? “Ever” is subjective and usually limited by one’s age.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Dan Fouts, Bobby Moore, Norm Van Brocklin?? Just because they aren't modern doesn't make them less great.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Fouts with more int than TD? No, most dominant offensive player is Sewell and Marcus. Winning also matters.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Mariota is the goat. I’ll take heisman winner over all else.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Marcus and it isn't even close.

It's completely laughable to think that LMJ carried the Oregon offense when he was running through canyons constantly.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Quietduck wrote:Dan Fouts, Bobby Moore, Norm Van Brocklin?? Just because they aren't modern doesn't make them less great.
If you want to combine College and the Pro's than you can include guys like Fouts or Moore.

The Flying Dutchman holds a special spot in leather helmet history but it's a different game today.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I’ve been a duck fan for longer than a lot of you have been alive. The guy who absolutely carried his team almost by himself was Bobby Moore. Amazing what he could do and did as both a RB & WR.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

It's too bad Oregon had to switch Moore to RB. He played WR as a sophomore (and later in the NFL) and was spectacular at that position. You had to have seen him as a sophomore (frosh were not eligible) to really appreciate how dominant he was as a WR. On a less needy team he would have been remembered as an alltime college great. As it was, he was the *number four* pick in the draft to play a position he did not play his junior or senior years.

He probably would have also been a star basketball player. He was a starter on Oregon's greatest frosh team (with Love, Drozdiak, Holliday, and Jackson).
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

Another note re Moore (Rashad) and his athletic ability from wikipedia:

Right before the launch of NBA Inside Stuff in 1990, Rashad signed a two-day contract with the Philadelphia 76ers.[22] The show wanted to use Rashad playing in the NBA as a promotion and so he was allowed to practice with the team and play in an NBA preseason game against the Minnesota Timberwolves the day after. Rashad was known for his athleticism as evidenced by him playing multiple offensive positions in his football career, and so it made sense for him to become a multi-sport athlete, albeit 8 years removed from his retirement. It was the first preseason game ever to be played at the newly built Target Center and was in front of a crowd of 18,296. Many fans came to the game to support Rashad because of his career as a Viking.[22]

He was subbed on for Hersey Hawkins and in the first play of his NBA career he gave up an and-one shooting foul to Tony Campbell. During a ensuing timeout, head coach Jim Lynam drew up a play for Rashad to run across the baseline for an open look. Rashad knocked down the 20-foot shot and scored the first and only points of his NBA career. Remembering the moment in a voiceover, Rashad was ecstatic, "I definitely replayed this one in my head for quite some time. My teammates set me up on the left side, and when everything was on the line, I nailed it."[23] Rashad was not as good defensively as he allowed Campbell and the Timberwolves to bring a 11 point deficit down to 5. Despite this, the 76ers pulled off a 102-96 win, giving Rashad a perfect record in the NBA.[24]

After the game, his performance was applauded by multiple teammates and coaches, including Hall of Fame teammate Charles Barkley, who after previously expressing doubts about Rashad before the game, stated that "he made it, and that's all that matters." Another teammate, Rick Mahorn, sarcastically said "What the hell, his two points really made a difference."[23]

In a post-game interview, Rashad announced his retirement from the game of basketball, and he was waived from the team.
TheDrake
Two Star Recruit

Post by TheDrake »

Bobby Moore's teams were not devoid of talent on offense. Bob Newland and Leland Glass were also teammates who both made the NFL. In addition Greg Spect was a solid tight end. Moore also had a TD pass during his Duck career. Probably Rashad was best player I ever saw.