Concerns and confidences after spring game?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Concerns and confidences after spring game?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I didn’t watch the game live and I only got highlights.

Curious to hear some of the good and bad of the spring game.

Our WR core looked really solid. QB and RB play make me nervous. Our OL also makes me nervous.

Our D as a whole has potential to be solid this year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Re: Concerns and confidences after spring game?

Post by 73duck »

I only watched highlights, but got the impression that Nix is a clear number one at QB, and that the team is deep and talented at WR, LB, and edge rusher. Chief concern would be DBs.
hslack
One Star Recruit

Post by hslack »

I feel the concern for the OL may be a smoke screen, the whole first unit was split up between rosters and when they play together in camp and during the season they will gel, especially since we are getting a lot of guys back from last year
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Honestly, I feel better about things watching the build up to and the spring game itself. I like the offense that is being implemented. I like the offensive weapons that we have. I like that we have an NFL coach coaching up the O-Line instead of the best friend of the head coach. I am concerned about where our defense is at right now but I do trust that Lanning will have them in position to at least be a solid unit. I like that we are putting an emphasis on special teams. Basically, all of the things that irked me about the previous staff seem to be addressed.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I don't believe there is a true QB competition here or at any team that brings in a big name transfer. That QB takes on the mantle of returning starter and is given a big benefit of the doubt in future position competition. That said, the rules and nature of the spring game didn't allow us to see Nix's real game. He didn't get to run and most of the sacks against him would not have got him down in a real game. TT and Butterfield did not show they are future cant misses but they didn't look like sure busts either. If I had to pick one of them to throw a "you cant transfer franchise tag" on based solely on the spring game it would be Butterfield over TT.

The only confidence I have after the game is there are lots of ingredients to build a good receiving corp. Other than that nothing I saw gives me any real confidence or concern because of the split squad nature and format of this game. It is designed to be an entertaining competitive format. You learn more in formats where the #1 defense goes against the #1 offense and so on, but this is designed to entertain a large crowd and look like real football instead of a practice.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think they really emphasized the passing game in the spring game because of the depth issues at RB and them not wanting to put Oregon's QBs at risk doing zone reads or keepers.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

How deep do we want the RB room to be? Right now we have 3 really good RB, and still have another stud arriving this summer.

Really my biggest concern still hasn’t been proven to not be a area of weakness, and that’s interior DL. I don’t think we ran as much Saturday because we didn’t want it exposed we can’t stop the run game between the tackles.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote:How deep do we want the RB room to be? Right now we have 3 really good RB, and still have another stud arriving this summer.

Really my biggest concern still hasn’t been proven to not be a area of weakness, and that’s interior DL. I don’t think we ran as much Saturday because we didn’t want it exposed we can’t stop the run game between the tackles.
Hmm I feel like our RB depth is perhaps worst we've had in decades.

Cardwell 61 carries
Dollars 15 carries
Whittingham 101 carries at WKU

Not saying these guys can't run well for us, but Oregon seldom feels thin at RB. It's usually our strongest position.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:How deep do we want the RB room to be? Right now we have 3 really good RB, and still have another stud arriving this summer.

Cardwell 61 carries
Dollars 15 carries

Not saying these guys can't run well for us, but Oregon seldom feels thin at RB. It's usually our strongest position.
Experience wise, yeah it doesn't look good but I think that talent wise it is a lot better than it has been recently.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

Cardwell 61 carries
Dollars 15 carries

6.8 yards per carry
8.5 ypc
6.1 ypc

And the Fr RB from Tennessee might be the best of the bunch before the year is over.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

QB- Nix looks clear favorite and that’s without showing his running ability

RB - TBD. No cardwell and only a few carries

WR -Future is bright! Everyone flashed

TE- solid but not a great day overall

OL - Didn’t look great, but it’s the same unit as last year so we will be fine. None of the young backups flashed though. Could use a transfer just for depth

DL - DJJ was great. Interior was mediocre but was missing a lot of key guys

LB - Laduke played great. Ajax and Funa played well too

CB - pretty weak overall. We are hoping Manning has improved a lot

S- No one popped to me. I’ll have to rewatch to see how they played.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Was nice seeing a QB who could throw deep without the receivers having to stop or slow down to make catches! I don't mind if Nix plays a lot like AB as long as he adds a reliable deep ball. And I think he'll find it easier to pick apart Pac-12 defenses with Pac-12 officiating.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

QB- Still think TT has the most potential, but Nix was clearly most in command. I wonder if TT would stick around one more year because Nix has said he's leaving after this year. Butters looks like he could start at some power 5 schools for sure at some point.

RB - Hard to tell. I think it depends on how big a leap Cardwell takes. Dilly was gushing over him today. I do think the transfer from WKU can certainly help carry the load too.

WR -If we've had a better group at Oregon, I don't remember it. Maybe Damon Griffin/Tony Hartley days, or Howry/Parker.... but not with this kind of pro potential.

TE-Furgeson looked the best of the group, but they all seem to be hard workers who are willing.

OL - We lack high end talent here. Bass and Sala are NFL guys, but 3rd day kind of draft picks. Given the experience though, it should still be a solid line against most teams.

DL - I'm not sure what DJJ did in the weight room, but that was by far the most twitchy I've seen him look. I think Taimani will be helpful for depth for sure. The running backs all said he's been pretty good in Spring ball.

LB - Just praying Flowe/Sewell stay healthy just so we get the privilege of watching them together. We're pretty loaded at this position. Even guys like Navarette had moments.

CB - Probably the biggest concern to me. I think Gonzales is going to be really good, but the other corner spot could be pretty rough until Florence/Tucker get up to speed in a year or 2.

S-Probably the other weakness, although Bennett Williams I still think is a solid Pac-12 player.

K/P-hope Snee makes it back from whatever he's dealing with. Camden looked about like Camden, but really happy he's turned it around overall.

Coaches- Gotta love the offense opening up. Overall, I think we have a ton of talent, and should certainly compete for the Pac-12 title and be better than last year. QB/Secondary are still the big concerns(as they were for much of last season).
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Hopefully, the DBs will improve before the season begins.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

rockthief wrote:Hopefully, the DBs will improve before the season begins.
You guys can correct me if I'm mistaken, because I can't find a good record of who played, but I think most of their top DBs didn't play in the game. Manning, Gonzalez, and Williams were all out I believe. I don't recall hearing Daymon David's name either, but admittedly I wasn't 100% focused on the game as I watched it. While it's nice to see some of the guys in action, not a ton to take away from a glorified scrimmage with a number of top guys not playing and 1st and 2nd teams split up.