Concerns and confidences after spring game?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck

Re: Concerns and confidences after spring game?

Post by lmduck »

droop10 wrote:
rockthief wrote:Hopefully, the DBs will improve before the season begins.
You guys can correct me if I'm mistaken, because I can't find a good record of who played, but I think most of their top DBs didn't play in the game. Manning, Gonzalez, and Williams were all out I believe. I don't recall hearing Daymon David's name either, but admittedly I wasn't 100% focused on the game as I watched it. While it's nice to see some of the guys in action, not a ton to take away from a glorified scrimmage with a number of top guys not playing and 1st and 2nd teams split up.
Agree 100%. While it's hard to draw any definitive conclusions I think we saw some good, some not so good and things to work on. I am sure Lanning and team have already defined their areas of 'interest' as things wind down for now and then recommence in mid-June with summer workouts.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:How deep do we want the RB room to be? Right now we have 3 really good RB, and still have another stud arriving this summer.

Really my biggest concern still hasn’t been proven to not be a area of weakness, and that’s interior DL. I don’t think we ran as much Saturday because we didn’t want it exposed we can’t stop the run game between the tackles.
Hmm I feel like our RB depth is perhaps worst we've had in decades.

Cardwell 61 carries
Dollars 15 carries
Whittingham 101 carries at WKU

Not saying these guys can't run well for us, but Oregon seldom feels thin at RB. It's usually our strongest position.
6.8 yards per carry
8.5 ypc
6.1 ypc

And the Fr RB from Tennessee might be the best of the bunch before the year is over.
Yards per carry doesn’t hold as much weight when running in garbage time and with little sample data. It’s nice to see, but Dye had 6.9 yards per carry in his 2020 season. And CJ with 6.2 yards per carry in 2019 on 200 carries.

Again, for me at least. It’s the least confident group I’ve seen. I think Cardwell will be nice but I have no idea about the rest of our group.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

droop10 wrote:
rockthief wrote:Hopefully, the DBs will improve before the season begins.
You guys can correct me if I'm mistaken, because I can't find a good record of who played, but I think most of their top DBs didn't play in the game. Manning, Gonzalez, and Williams were all out I believe. I don't recall hearing Daymon David's name either, but admittedly I wasn't 100% focused on the game as I watched it. While it's nice to see some of the guys in action, not a ton to take away from a glorified scrimmage with a number of top guys not playing and 1st and 2nd teams split up.
A lot of guys were out but we also have to be realistic that we should expect at least an injury per position. So if all are healthy all year, I think our DB group will get by.

I actually think defensively, health will really determine the difference between a top defense in the pac-12 to a more middle of the road squad. More so than most years!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I thought the transfer RB looked pretty darn good. Whittingham? Something like that.
McDawg
One Star Recruit

Post by McDawg »

As I read this, it sounds like the biggest area of concern for y'all is DL and maybe DB's. Is that a normal strong area for Oregon? I know a couple of your LB's, (Sewell and Flowe) we really wanted those guys in Athens.

Does your OL have a lot of returners?
hslack
One Star Recruit

Post by hslack »

McDawg wrote:As I read this, it sounds like the biggest area of concern for y'all is DL and maybe DB's. Is that a normal strong area for Oregon? I know a couple of your LB's, (Sewell and Flowe) we really wanted those guys in Athens.

Does your OL have a lot of returners?
DB has been more reliable in the past years than what is projected for this year with not as many guys returning
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ We also have a ton of DL that are hurt right now, but even if fully healthy, it wouldn't even remotely compare to the D-lines you're seeing at UGA.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ We also have a ton of DL that are hurt right now, but even if fully healthy, it wouldn't even remotely compare to the D-lines you're seeing at UGA.
UGA is losing a lot of their D to the NFL and not saying there are not 5*** sitting behind the ones who left, but again they are losing a good portion of that defense.

While I think the DUCKS will be competitive in that game (I hope they will be) I am not counting on it as a win. Ga will be good and we'll see what DL brings to the table.

One thing I found interesting, and my sample size is not massive by any means, if you read some of the Ga message boards they openly admit DL will be missed. Most are very complimnentary of him and one of the most common takes that I saw/read was their fans telling UO that 'you got a good one'. I did not read a lot of 'sour grapes' comments. Again not a sample size of thousands but enough to see a trend.

We'll certainly have a feel for things soon.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ It kinda reminds me of when Oregon lost Tedford to Cal. Ducks fans would have loved to keep him, but knew that he would succeed there.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I don't see why any fan base would have sour grapes when an assistant coach leaves to take a promotion, particularly to Head Coach.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

McDawg wrote:Does your OL have a lot of returners?
Yes, almost all of our O-Line returns and should be a very good and experienced unit. We also have a few highly rated younger guys that will likely see the field this year, as well.
John 3:36
McDawg
One Star Recruit

Post by McDawg »

Yeah. We lost a couple of studs on the DL. Really big dudes that were freakishly athletic. We should still be solid there but not 7 ppg good. Watch 88 Jalen Carter, he’s a first round guy. You could say our defense will fall off is correct, but it’s falling off being a generational defense; some say maybe the best ever. I’m not a great stat guy, but I’ve seen some stats that blew my mind

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ge ... best-ever/

I look at charts. I don’t have time to read all that fluff.

I’ve not heard anyone here in Georgia bitter about Lanning leaving. Everyone I have spoken with are happy for him. Go get paid man!
We’re ok on staff for defensive coaches. Will Muschamp “coach Boom” is a great DC and what he can cook up with co-DC Glenn Schumann, we shouldn’t miss a beat.
We are quite proud of coach Lanning. He’s a class guy and not only believe he will do well, we know he will and will bring Oregon a conference championship. Y’all got a good one. And the dude can recruit. We have a saying about Kirby Smart & Staff, “always be cruitin “
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

McDawg wrote:Yeah. We lost a couple of studs on the DL. Really big dudes that were freakishly athletic. We should still be solid there but not 7 ppg good. Watch 88 Jalen Carter, he’s a first round guy. You could say our defense will fall off is correct, but it’s falling off being a generational defense; some say maybe the best ever. I’m not a great stat guy, but I’ve seen some stats that blew my mind

I’ve not heard anyone here in Georgia bitter about Lanning leaving. Everyone I have spoken with are happy for him. Go get paid man!
We’re ok on staff for defensive coaches. Will Muschamp “coach Boom” is a great DC and what he can cook up with co-DC Glenn Schumann, we shouldn’t miss a beat.
We are quite proud of coach Lanning. He’s a class guy and not only believe he will do well, we know he will and will bring Oregon a conference championship. Y’all got a good one. And the dude can recruit. We have a saying about Kirby Smart & Staff, “always be cruitin “

I totally agree about Muschamp. The guy is a defensive genius and should do a great job there.

I think both teams will be testing each other for weaknesses a lot in the first half and then make adjustments accordingly at halftime. I think it'll be a good game either way.

What I'd really like to see, though, is a power SEC team do an actual home and home series with Oregon. Georgia canceled a game against us a few years ago, as well as Texas A&M. The only SEC teams that have come to our place in the past 20-30 years are Mississippi State and Tennessee.

We always have to play these "neutral" games in Dallas (twice vs Auburn and LSU) and now against Georgia in Atlanta. That's never seemed very neutral.
John 3:36
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

McDawg wrote:Yeah. We lost a couple of studs on the DL. Really big dudes that were freakishly athletic. We should still be solid there but not 7 ppg good. Watch 88 Jalen Carter, he’s a first round guy. You could say our defense will fall off is correct, but it’s falling off being a generational defense; some say maybe the best ever. I’m not a great stat guy, but I’ve seen some stats that blew my mind

Thanks for all your insights. Really appreciate it. Hope you'll continue to post here. Always welcome good stuff like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:I don't see why any fan base would have sour grapes when an assistant coach leaves to take a promotion, particularly to Head Coach.
I don't either but there certainly is a segment out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk