QB Transfer Possibilities?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

QB Transfer Possibilities?

Post by SuperDuck »

I'm just thinking out loud here. Please chime in and share your thoughts.

The possibility of a QB transfer is real. This is Butterfield's last year of eligibility, so if he wants to see any real playing time he'll need to go elsewhere.

Thompson transferring isn't as likely, but there's always a chance. He still has eligibility left and even though both Bo Nix and Butterfield will be gone next season, the staff will almost certainly bring in another experienced QB, if there's a decent one to be had, not to mention any super freshman QB who may come in and make a splash.

I could understand Butterfield leaving, but both leaving would really suck!

That said, I hope Thompson stays, at least.

Nix will almost certainly be the starter, barring injury.
John 3:36
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: QB Transfer Possibilities?

Post by buckmarkduck »

Butterfield was a RS FR. He has 3 years left. Nix actually has 2 years left also.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Butterfield was a RS FR. He has 3 years left. Nix actually has 2 years left also.
Really?

My bad. I could have sworn I heard Allioti or Jordon Kent say that this was Butterfied's last year.

I had no idea Bo Nix had 2 years left. That's cool!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

SuperDuck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Butterfield was a RS FR. He has 3 years left. Nix actually has 2 years left also.
Really?

My bad. I could have sworn I heard Allioti or Jordon Kent say that this was Butterfied's last year.

I had no idea Bo Nix had 2 years left. That's cool!

They probably did. I heard them say lots of wrong stuff and names.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

It seems like Bo is going to be the guy this year. I'm wondering if Thompson just isn't developing quickly, wasn't coached up and will develop with an actual QB coach, or was just misevaluated in general. It will be interesting to see the QB development under this staff.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

SuperDuck wrote:I'm just thinking out loud here. Please chime in and share your thoughts.

The possibility of a QB transfer is real. This is Butterfield's last year of eligibility, so if he wants to see any real playing time he'll need to go elsewhere.

Thompson transferring isn't as likely, but there's always a chance. He still has eligibility left and even though both Bo Nix and Butterfield will be gone next season, the staff will almost certainly bring in another experienced QB, if there's a decent one to be had, not to mention any super freshman QB who may come in and make a splash.

Wrong about Butters and Nix! :o
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

nogerO wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:I'm just thinking out loud here. Please chime in and share your thoughts.

Wrong about Butters and Nix! :o

Yes, :o I am imperfect scum!

Feel free to run me over a few times and then rinse me down the storm drain.

8-)
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

karlhungis wrote:It seems like Bo is going to be the guy this year. I'm wondering if Thompson just isn't developing quickly, wasn't coached up and will develop with an actual QB coach, or was just misevaluated in general. It will be interesting to see the QB development under this staff.
Misevaluated.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

StevensTechU wrote:
karlhungis wrote:It seems like Bo is going to be the guy this year. I'm wondering if Thompson just isn't developing quickly, wasn't coached up and will develop with an actual QB coach, or was just misevaluated in general. It will be interesting to see the QB development under this staff.
Misevaluated.
While I have no facts to back this up, I can say based on my own opinion, I couldn't disagree more. As far as quarterbacks, I used to call Oregon "Quarterback U" because we coached up the quarterbacks we recruited, let them learn behind the starter, then started them the following year and they went on to be 3-4 year starters. While I understand Lannings wish to win now, its his first season, not a great time to play experiment at QB, however there was no reason mid-season last year we shouldn't have been starting TT (Or Butter to be fair) to get him quality playing time. You cannot expect any young QB to beat out 2-3 year starters unless he gets on the field to get equal experience. Of course Bo is going to play better than TT, he has much more experience, however since neither Butter, nor TT gets to see the field to learn the position, make the mistakes, and get to feel the speed of the game and create on the field relationships with the other players, honestly, just stop recruiting 4-5* guys if we have no intention to give them any playing time, we will just hit the portal for a transfer QB.
I am not a fan of this strategy to say the least, I would rather recruit the 4* kids, let them learn behind a starter for a season, then start them. I don't like this habit of coaching staffs to just bring in a guy with 1 year eligibility left, start him, then look for another transfer next year. I really detest this tactic, but it seems like it may just be the way things are now.

I don't believe either was "misevaluated", but if they are not going to see the field, we will never know how good they can be, they have to grow into the position. That will never happen if we just bring in the transfer QB's every single year.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I believe Butterfield will transfer. Will he or Thompson be willing to languish behind Nix for two years? I doubt it. Both of them leaving would be no surprise.
QuackininBama is correct. Last year would have been a good time for both to play instead of Brown. It would have been short term pain for long term gain.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

First extended look at TT. he looked really jumpy/nervous in the pocket against a dead pass rush. Has all the arm talent in the world but only came off his primary a couple times, had guys open all over the field running free most of the game (which is another issue all together).

There was a play on 3rd and 10 that was really weird. 11 personal with trips to the left. He rolled out right and then just threw it away. not sure if that was a blown call or what. But he didnt even look to the left before the sprint to the right.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

spacefrog13x wrote:Has all the arm talent in the world but only came off his primary a couple times,
That was what was most concerning about his high school tape.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

QuackininBama wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
Misevaluated.
While I have no facts to back this up, I can say based on my own opinion, I couldn't disagree more. As far as quarterbacks, I used to call Oregon "Quarterback U" because we coached up the quarterbacks we recruited, let them learn behind the starter, then started them the following year and they went on to be 3-4 year starters. While I understand Lannings wish to win now, its his first season, not a great time to play experiment at QB, however there was no reason mid-season last year we shouldn't have been starting TT (Or Butter to be fair) to get him quality playing time. You cannot expect any young QB to beat out 2-3 year starters unless he gets on the field to get equal experience. Of course Bo is going to play better than TT, he has much more experience, however since neither Butter, nor TT gets to see the field to learn the position, make the mistakes, and get to feel the speed of the game and create on the field relationships with the other players, honestly, just stop recruiting 4-5* guys if we have no intention to give them any playing time, we will just hit the portal for a transfer QB.
I am not a fan of this strategy to say the least, I would rather recruit the 4* kids, let them learn behind a starter for a season, then start them. I don't like this habit of coaching staffs to just bring in a guy with 1 year eligibility left, start him, then look for another transfer next year. I really detest this tactic, but it seems like it may just be the way things are now.

I don't believe either was "misevaluated", but if they are not going to see the field, we will never know how good they can be, they have to grow into the position. That will never happen if we just bring in the transfer QB's every single year.
The success of the transfer portal for senior QBs really depends on the coaching staff rather than the tactic. I think generally its good to bring in a senior transfer to push the development of young 4-5 start quarterbacks. If you can't beat out the transfer you shouldn't be on the field...unless...there is no upside of playing the senior transfer or your record is bad, then you want to play the young qbs for development purposes for the future. I agree that should have been the case last year. So you have to have coaches that recognize and are willing the pull the trigger in that kind of a scenario and also willing to play the young QBs over the senior transfer if the young guys are beating out the transfer. It didn't seem like Mario&co. were that kind of coaching staff...But many other coaching staffs have been very successful in using the transfer portal for senior QBs.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think priority 1 is Rashada / Moore but if we strike out on both, then hopefully we can land a mid-major QB who plays great this season.

There's also the chance Nix does stay 2 years.