Conferences eliminating divisions and maybe the CCG?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Conferences eliminating divisions and maybe the CCG?

Post by DuckzRule »

I decided to look at more NCAA news and there's something interesting going on, apparently the NCAA is trying to pass a bill that will allow conferences to remove divisions, maybe even the conference championship game (in other words, it would be similar to our conference back when it was the Pac-10 or the Big 12 from 2011 to 2016), something that caught my eye is that the ACC is planning to do the eliminating divisions part to prevent mismatches in the CCG as early as 2023, and this change could maybe allow more scheduling options.

Imagine if the Pac-12 does the same as the ACC or goes the 8-game schedule way and we can schedule more P5 opponents per season similar to when the triple Alliance was announced.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Conferences eliminating divisions and maybe the CCG?

Post by karlhungis »

If we eliminate CCG's, then that would eliminate most bragging rights for everyone outside of the teams that always go to the playoffs. Considering that the playoffs are always the same teams, I at least looked forward to seeing if we could make the CCG. Taking that away would water down my enjoyment of the sport even more.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

they should keep ccg but allow the two best teams to play in it, regardless of north and south.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

I hate the idea of eliminating divisions. With divisions, every team in the P12 controls their own destiny. Imagine a year in which USC goes 8-0 in the conference while Washington and Oregon both go 7-1, with that one loss being to USC, and then don’t play each other. Gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

On the flip side, if Oregon and stanford (Don't want to use UW in this example) were by far the best teams in the Pac12 on year and only loss was when they played each other. But the South teams were all mediocre and had parity in their division. I do not think a mediocre multiple loss South team deserves to be in the CCG, which has happen many years until Utah became dominate this year.

Its a reoccurring scenario in sports and i know it wont change because everyone likes a good story line and east/west north/south rivalries and it sells tickets, tv ratings, etc...
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

whosyourwally wrote:I hate the idea of eliminating divisions. With divisions, every team in the P12 controls their own destiny. Imagine a year in which USC goes 8-0 in the conference while Washington and Oregon both go 7-1, with that one loss being to USC, and then don’t play each other. Gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very little chance they would eliminate the conference championship game. Most of the proposals involve eliminating divisions, which would be replaced by pods- two or three teams that play every year and then a rotating schedule for the rest of your games. The two teams with the best record would play for the conference championship.

One of the more intriguing ideas I've seen floated is to have the remainder of a teams conference games be based on order of finish from the prior year. Let's say the Ducks finished first in a given year. And their pod rivals, with conference finish in that year (), are WA (4) WA ST (6) and the Beavs (3). In a 9 game schedule the following year, Oregon's remaining games would be against the teams that finished 2,5,7,8,9 and 10.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

alxtw wrote:On the flip side, if Oregon and stanford (Don't want to use UW in this example) were by far the best teams in the Pac12 on year and only loss was when they played each other. But the South teams were all mediocre and had parity in their division. I do not think a mediocre multiple loss South team deserves to be in the CCG, which has happen many years until Utah became dominate this year.

Its a reoccurring scenario in sports and i know it wont change because everyone likes a good story line and east/west north/south rivalries and it sells tickets, tv ratings, etc...
Better match ups drive those things far more than divisional factors, especially eyeballs for the championship games. This will happen, because the TV package is more valuable this way.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

There is going to be problems and complaints with any system that is put into place be it strength of schedule, tie breaker formulas or a game changing call. I do want to keep the ccg, I really don’t care about which system they put in, it is still football. One vs two in the division or best in the north vs best in the south, doesn’t matter to me.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

alxtw wrote:they should keep ccg but allow the two best teams to play in it, regardless of north and south.
If the CCG was kept, I like this solution best. That way if the two best conference teams don't play each other during the regular season they'd at least get to face each other then.

If they don't do that then they'll either be forced to expand the playoffs or potentially leave deserving teams out every year.

Example, USC and Oregon don't play each other this year. What if both had only one loss and it was a similar type of loss against a decent team. If that happened now it would be settled in the Pac-12 CCG. But who'd go to the playoffs if there was no CCG?

Lots of variables to consider.
John 3:36
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Also I still remember that the Pac-12 tried going the SEC way and have only 8 conference games per year.

Hopefully the change is made and we can schedule more quality opponents like the entirety of the SEC West.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I heard that the 8 game division thing is unlikely unless the Big Ten does the same thing.

But if it happens we need at least one SEC home and home.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The Pac-12 has announced they'll be changing the format of the CG from the two division winners to the two teams with the highest winning percentages.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Hopefully this increases the chances of seeing a Pac-12 team in the CFP again, maybe even getting two teams like the ACC back in 2020.

But what will happen if the Pac-12 decides to go with only 8-conference games? Even tho it's very unlikely I think it will result in having more good non-conference matchups,
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ I think if we do an 8 game schedule, it will see an influx of even more Mountain West teams scheduled
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ I think if we do an 8 game schedule, it will see an influx of even more Mountain West teams scheduled
I really think the Pac-12 has a secret scheduling agreement with the Mountain West for some reason, also I've realized that the 8-game conference schedule could only happen if the Big Ten does the same, albeit it would open the doors for more matchups like Oregon vs Penn State or Iowa vs non-Iowa State teams.