Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by StevensTechU »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Looks like the Big Ten may have deals with Fox, CBS, and NBC to carry games, potentially leaving ESPN without any games. That may help the Pac-12, ACC, and Big 12 as ESPN looks to keep as many games in the fold as possible.
This is huge for the Pac-12. ESPN has the most reason to have a full slate of games every week. CBS and NBC can get away with showing one or two games a week, but ESPN can't and maintain its image of being the worldwide leader in sports. If Kliavkoff can get a decent offer from Apple, Amazon, or some other streaming service, ESPN will have no choice but to go "all-in" on getting the Pac-12 rights. I'd LOVE to see ESPN overpay to keep the Pac. If they don't, would be looking at the Mountain West to fill out their schedule.
I wonder if both parties will reluctantly walk into this one. Fox has no reason to enter a bid for the Pac-12, really, so ESPN doesn't have a lot of competition for picking up Pac-12 games.
duck92
Two Star Recruit

Post by duck92 »

Now that the Big 10 has their contract. How does it affect the Pac 10?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Still on rather shaky ground, especially with that escalator clause and the Big Ten still supposedly looking to expand.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Looks like the Big Ten may have deals with Fox, CBS, and NBC to carry games, potentially leaving ESPN without any games. That may help the Pac-12, ACC, and Big 12 as ESPN looks to keep as many games in the fold as possible.
This is huge for the Pac-12. ESPN has the most reason to have a full slate of games every week. CBS and NBC can get away with showing one or two games a week, but ESPN can't and maintain its image of being the worldwide leader in sports. If Kliavkoff can get a decent offer from Apple, Amazon, or some other streaming service, ESPN will have no choice but to go "all-in" on getting the Pac-12 rights. I'd LOVE to see ESPN overpay to keep the Pac. If they don't, would be looking at the Mountain West to fill out their schedule.
I wonder if both parties will reluctantly walk into this one. Fox has no reason to enter a bid for the Pac-12, really, so ESPN doesn't have a lot of competition for picking up Pac-12 games.
Sure there are reasons for FOX to negotiate with the pac. We have need for late windows, just like we have since 2013. We have mountain west, but it’s better to have some p12 and use mw to fill in gaps. You have to keep in mind the b1g doesn’t allow for late(ish) kickoffs in the second half of the season. Only way that changes is if the b1g substantially increases the number of member schools from the west coast.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I wonder if the PAC will try to negotiate similarly with multiple networks. It seems like major college football is better programming than anything else most of these channels have lined up. Lots of people like me like to flip between games anyway.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx wrote:I wonder if the PAC will try to negotiate similarly with multiple networks. It seems like major college football is better programming than anything else most of these channels have lined up. Lots of people like me like to flip between games anyway.
It'll be interesting to see if Fox goes after more game outside of the Big Ten as they typically have two to three games on Saturday on their main channel so they'd possibly need another conference's games. Fox may choose the Big 12 over the Pac-12 in that case because they know the Big Ten will continue raiding the Pac-12.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

OH MY GOD
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

DuckzRule wrote:OH MY GOD
Not sure what there is to get excited about here. I'm sure these talks have already taken place before, and without some of the most important people in the room, they mean nothing.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

DuckzRule wrote:OH MY GOD
This might be one of the best examples of click bait I have seen in a long time. Oregon initiated a discussion but wait, the ONLY people that would have initiated that discussion were not involved. Talk about playing both sides here. Sheesh.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

This might be one of the best examples of click bait I have seen in a long time. Oregon initiated a discussion but wait, the ONLY people that would have initiated that discussion were not involved. Talk about playing both sides here. Sheesh.
The implication here is that Phil Knight and other influential boosters (who are absolutely connected with and hold influence over university/AD decisions) initiated the discussions so the university wouldn't have to.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Until any Pac-12 media deal is done, you had to expect Oregon's boosters to be initiating some conversations with the Big Ten or other conferences to get a lay of the landscape. Not having a president does hurt since they've got no higher up advocating for them like Florida State's president said they're doing.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Also I've heard Notre Dame is prolly gonna remain independent, which means the Big Ten will finally take a decision on Oregon and Washington after they were supposedly told the conference was on hold and was waiting for ND.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I saw that Brett McMurphy went on a radio show and apparently confirmed that the Big Ten is interested on adding us and that both sides are speaking.

I know this move may take a long while to get finished but at this rate it's very possible:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/w ... show_this/
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

DuckzRule wrote:I saw that Brett McMurphy went on a radio show and apparently confirmed that the Big Ten is interested on adding us and that both sides are speaking.

I know this move may take a long while to get finished but at this rate it's very possible:

Dude, I'm just putting this out there as a reminder, believe nothing unless it comes from the actual mouth of someone high up in the pac12 or B1G. You're digging for something that nobody has any clue about and possibly spreading false info. Until someone from within the conferences says something, it's best to ignore this kind of stuff.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

squintsdd wrote:
DuckzRule wrote:I saw that Brett McMurphy went on a radio show and apparently confirmed that the Big Ten is interested on adding us and that both sides are speaking.

Dude, I'm just putting this out there as a reminder, believe nothing unless it comes from the actual mouth of someone high up in the pac12 or B1G. You're digging for something that nobody has any clue about and possibly spreading false info. Until someone from within the conferences says something, it's best to ignore this kind of stuff.
I feel so stupid by posting that...

I'm sorry.