Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Oh no...LA schools looking to leave for Big 10

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:
StreeterCL wrote:
Oregon State wrestling is coming along nicely. I'm in Nebraska but I have been paying attention.
Well then this thought that I've been having might not be wasted on someone- a huge benefit to me is that B1G bylaws require schools have a wrestling team. If that's where Oregon lands, the wrestling program ostensibly comes back to life, a huge boost to wrestling in the PNW where only the beavs have a program and all the best kids go east, just like football.
Beavers fan also, I have been a beaver wrestling fan for many years, I wrestled in high school with a kid, same weight groups, who went on to be a national champion for the beavers, four time all American, I all for the beaver getting in, they would hold their own in both wrestling and to some extent basketball.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

StreeterCL wrote: Unfortunately that isn't true. I don't think wrestling programs will get started unless women's also do. Pat Mineo has been discussing this in that "wrestling room" facebook group regarding UCLA and USC. I mean I know both of those schools have club teams but I don't see them starting wrestling unless women's is also starting. Who knows.

Sorry to everyone, didn't mean to hijack this convo about wrestling.
By page 11, it's rare a thread is on the original topic.

So the prevailing thought is that USC/UCLA would get a carve out? That's a bummer, if true. I'd like to see them add men's and women's teams simultaneously. No title 9 issue then.
StreeterCL
One Star Recruit

Post by StreeterCL »

StevensTechU wrote:
StreeterCL wrote: Unfortunately that isn't true. I don't think wrestling programs will get started unless women's also do. Pat Mineo has been discussing this in that "wrestling room" facebook group regarding UCLA and USC. I mean I know both of those schools have club teams but I don't see them starting wrestling unless women's is also starting. Who knows.

Sorry to everyone, didn't mean to hijack this convo about wrestling.
By page 11, it's rare a thread is on the original topic.

So the prevailing thought is that USC/UCLA would get a carve out? That's a bummer, if true. I'd like to see them add men's and women's teams simultaneously. No title 9 issue then.

Yes exactly, no title 9 but more teams equals more extreme travel. So there's an issue there. It'll be interesting and my hope is that everyone that is added to the Big10 adds wrestling. I was at the Big10 tournament in Lincoln this year. It was incredible.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Anyways returning to the non-wrestling topic, I dunno if the B1G has either accepted Oregon and UW's admissions and are just waiting for ND's decision, or if they will only enter if ND accepts too.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

DuckzRule wrote:Anyways returning to the non-wrestling topic, I dunno if the B1G has either accepted Oregon and UW's admissions and are just waiting for ND's decision, or if they will only enter if ND accepts too.
It's unknown right now. You can rest assured there is only a small handful of people who really know what going on and they are likely not talking to people and then telling them to go out and post what I just told you on Twitter and just be sure to caveat it with 'a good and reliable source told me.....'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Some more wishful thinking from Canzano about Phil Knight saving the conference. Phil didn't spend all that money on the program just to see it be the leader of a small regional kingdom. He'll want them competing at the highest level.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
StreeterCL wrote:Wow Canzano is desperate to save the Beavs. His article he put out about Phil being able to save the conference is a huge emotional plea rather than anything logical or financially lucrative.
I'd bet I'm probably the biggest Beaver fan on this board, as their wrestling team is in contention with the Ducks MBB team for the in-state program I care the second most about behind Oregon football. That said, I've long felt the existence of both major programs has been to their mutual detriment. The state is too small and cares too little about sports to split evenly between two fanbases.

Oregon State can continue to compete at a high level in baseball, women's gymnastics, and wrestling from outside a power 5 conference. Oregon moves closer to parity with other major universities.

Something we agree on. Except I don’t care about any beaver sports, and I’m still pissed off we brought back baseball and killed wrestling, just because some near mascot was jealous of the beavs. But I’ve always said UO could have been Nebraska like if we had just one major university, two made it impossible in the 50-80s.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SalmonOfCapistrano
High School Drop Out

Post by SalmonOfCapistrano »

Thought you guys might be interested what one of the BIG 10 reporter types is tweeting. I've always found him to be an honest reporter. What he's reporting might not happen, but it's always from good sources.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

SalmonOfCapistrano wrote:Thought you guys might be interested what one of the BIG 10 reporter types is tweeting. I've always found him to be an honest reporter. What he's reporting might not happen, but it's always from good sources.
This might have already been posted but I think it brings up even more possibilities of it happening.
UofDuck
Senior

Oh no...LA schools looking to leave for Big 10

Post by UofDuck »

My guess is UO is in and waiting on ND because the announcement of those two schools would be a big splash. UO’s silence speaks volumes.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I've been looking at Twitter for entire days ever since the rumors started, and I've had to see my sanity get hurt by Oregon haters that use the "they have never won a natty" excuse.

Hopefully I can still survive it to keep you guys updated.

Also shall we change the name of this thread because it's about our possible future conference now?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Honestly, adding UO UW Stanford to ND would be the B1G best move. Seattle, Portland, Bay Area media markets added to LA. 5 teams on the West Coast to minimize travel for non-revenue sports. All 3 have Nation Championship caliber programs in several of the smaller sports. All have had Top 10 Football teams in the last decade.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Honestly, adding UO UW Stanford to ND would be the B1G best move. Seattle, Portland, Bay Area media markets added to LA. 5 teams on the West Coast to minimize travel for non-revenue sports. All 3 have Nation Championship caliber programs in several of the smaller sports. All have had Top 10 Football teams in the last decade.
Is Stanford seriously being considered?
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Anyways, if we indeed become members of the B1G, what are the most anticipated conference matchups you wanna see?

I was thinking maybe Oregon vs Ohio State and Penn State, and maybe Oregon vs Notre Dame if they also join.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

This is from the NIL collective/foundation for Ohio State so they've likely got some decent sources.