A Pac-10 Program Studying A-11

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

freedjr
Four Star Recruit

A Pac-10 Program Studying A-11

Post by freedjr »

ESPN Page 2 has a story about banning the A-11 in high school. What is of interest though is buried in the middle of the story, a line says the creator of the offensive scheme recently returned from a clinic with a Pac-10 team. It doesn't say who, but doesn't that sound exactly like something CK would cook up? Anyone have any insights?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... reb/090302

And for those of you who don't know what the A-11 is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... reb/080811
desertfan
Three Star Recruit

Re: A Pac-10 Program Studying A-11

Post by desertfan »

It sounds exactly like the kind of thing that we would add to our playbook and didn't we get a recruit this year from the high school that ran the A-11?
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

It could explain why we have so many tight ends on the roster
rcook
Two Star Recruit

Post by rcook »

As a football program, we have NEVER seemed to resist the notion of innovation or change, therefore if this type of thing is allowed into college footballs offensive arsenal, I see no reason Oregon won't use it if we feel it is effective enough to warrant implementing.

Sounds like it may only be used on semi-delicate, specific types of plays involving kicking possibilities as a mandatory part of the play, so I can definitely see some massive whining amongst the football community, should we or other schools use confusing trickery to gain that 1 desperately needed yard to keep a drive alive vs kicking.

IMO, if it is "technically" legal, then no real bitching should be associated with it. Seems like an interesting dynamic that could potentially cause a drastic change to certain football scenario's (4th and 1 types of moments, etc) which, depending on its own effciency, will likely dictate whether or not anyone cares if it is being used.

Based on the high school uproar, it sounds like it is probably a fairly effective strategy.

The rules are the rules = bottom line to me.

Does not like war, fwiw
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

It's amazing at times how resistant to change the sport of football is. At one time, the new concept of a forward pass was met with some controversy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_pass#History.
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Post by freedjr »

I would just love to see what Chip could do with it. That's why I really hope Oregon is the school he visited. Just think, if it evens up the slower schools, imagine what the faster (Oregon) schools could do with it!
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

desertfan wrote:.....and didn't we get a recruit this year from the high school that ran the A-11?
Yes, Keaton Arden.
stewbertwilloughby
Five Star Recruit

Post by stewbertwilloughby »

People would definitely bitch and moan about it, if it were implemented. I kind of associate it with playing Halo online. I love how much my friends bitch about people getting in a Ghost or a Warthog, saying "they only do it because they're not good enough to play!" I think it's hilarious. To those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, I apologize. But you others totally know what I'm talking about.
GO DUCKS!