Oregon @ Stanford (W 73-70)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Re: Oregon @ Stanford (Sun 4pm Fox Sports 1)

Post by mattc94 »

I am so proud of what this team has accomplished. Despite everything that has happened. The Oregonian didn't even cover the game BTW. :roll:
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

22-8 who would have thought that at the begging of the season. What Altman has done with this
team is unbelievable. The future looks good with the players coming in and the young guys. Proud of this
team...
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Probably the worst reffed game of the year to date for Oregon. Frankly, the reffing this year has been surprisingly better than usual. But I swear, whenever we play Stanford, we get a rough draw.

Huge, huge, huge win. When is the last time we won both games in the bay?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckfan22
Senior

Re: Oregon @ Stanford (W 73-70)

Post by duckfan22 »

Huge, huge, huge win. When is the last time we won both games in the bay? 1976
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckfan22 wrote:Huge, huge, huge win. When is the last time we won both games in the bay? 1976
Incredible. Dana is a special coach.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

There are not a lot of coaches out there that could have done what he
has done with this team. He should be coach of the year in the pac-12 if
you ask me.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

I'm already excited for next year's team. Add another uber athletic shot blocking forward to pair with Bell. Give Chandler and Sorkin a year to develop, and we may have an awesome frontcourt. Cook should improve his outside shot some, Benjamin has already shown lots of progress this season. Rorie, Benson, and Brooks have gotten invaluable experience this year. Add Dorsey and Small, and maybe even Murray and we could be really good.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

duck541 wrote:I'm already excited for next year's team. Add another uber athletic shot blocking forward to pair with Bell. Give Chandler and Sorkin a year to develop, and we may have an awesome frontcourt. Cook should improve his outside shot some, Benjamin has already shown lots of progress this season. Rorie, Benson, and Brooks have gotten invaluable experience this year. Add Dorsey and Small, and maybe even Murray and we could be really good.
Same here. As long as everyone sticks around we will be loaded and have the perfect ratio of returning vets to new big time talent.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Just incredible that it's been nearly 40 freakin' years since we swept the Bay. Yes, I know Mike Montgomery had something to do with that. But still . . . I don't think I'm disrespecting Cal and Stanford to think it seems like we would have had at least 3-4 sweeps there during that time frame. The last Duck squad to do it was when Ron Lee was a senior and they ended UCLA's long Pauley streak and would have EASILY made the NCAA tournament field if it had been 64 teams.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Greenblood wrote:Just incredible that it's been nearly 40 freakin' years since we swept the Bay. Yes, I know Mike Montgomery had something to do with that. But still . . . I don't think I'm disrespecting Cal and Stanford to think it seems like we would have had at least 3-4 sweeps there during that time frame. The last Duck squad to do it was when Ron Lee was a senior and they ended UCLA's long Pauley streak and would have EASILY made the NCAA tournament field if it had been 64 teams.
IIRC, that particular Duck squad was passed over in favor of a team they defeated, and were also higher ranked in the PAC at the time. I was pi$$ed, that season.

Harter knew how to get results at Oregon... His successors?

Not so much!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

woundedknees wrote:
Greenblood wrote:Just incredible that it's been nearly 40 freakin' years since we swept the Bay. Yes, I know Mike Montgomery had something to do with that. But still . . . I don't think I'm disrespecting Cal and Stanford to think it seems like we would have had at least 3-4 sweeps there during that time frame. The last Duck squad to do it was when Ron Lee was a senior and they ended UCLA's long Pauley streak and would have EASILY made the NCAA tournament field if it had been 64 teams.
IIRC, that particular Duck squad was passed over in favor of a team they defeated, and were also higher ranked in the PAC at the time. I was pi$$ed, that season.
Mainly that year I remember the 10-4 (in conference) Ducks getting swept by one of Marv Harshman's better Husky squads (yes, that was the year of the Groucho masks at mid-court at Mac) being their downfall. But yeah, that year and the following I felt they must have been SO close to getting in, and even wondered if there was some kind of conspiracy against Harter's style of play.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

My Mom bought me season tickets during the Harter years when i was in High school. Coaches and the refs and
others had it out for Oregon. It was such a radical new way to play and they didnt understand the aggresiveness of
the style. They would rather watch the 4 corners. Plus Harter wasnt the most social coach to his fellow conference
coaches.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

duckfan22 wrote:My Mom bought me season tickets during the Harter years when i was in High school. Coaches and the refs and
others had it out for Oregon. It was such a radical new way to play and they didnt understand the aggresiveness of
the style. They would rather watch the 4 corners. Plus Harter wasnt the most social coach to his fellow conference
coaches.
Thank god for the shot clock these days! That era of basketball was almost unwatchable with Ralph Miller and Dean Smith running that slowdown crap. I cringe at those games, some played in the 20-30 point range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

duckduckgoose wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:My Mom bought me season tickets during the Harter years when i was in High school. Coaches and the refs and
coaches.
Thank god for the shot clock these days! That era of basketball was almost unwatchable with Ralph Miller and Dean Smith running that slowdown crap. I cringe at those games, some played in the 20-30 point range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got to disagree. Those games were intense. Students lined up outside (sometimes for more than a day), sprinted to claim seats the moment the doors opened, on occasion had the scoreboard bouncing before tip off and stayed to the final buzzer. Without a shot clock coaching and discipline mattered, that is how a team starting players like Mark Barwig, Bruce Coldren, and Gerald Willet could defeat a bunch of future NBA first round picks. No shot clock allowed Villanove to defeat Georgetown for the title in 1985, still considered one of the all time upsets.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Those games were intense. Students lined up outside (sometimes for more than a day), sprinted to claim seats the moment the doors opened, on occasion had the scoreboard bouncing before tip off and stayed to the final buzzer. Without a shot clock coaching and discipline mattered, that is how a team starting players like Mark Barwig, Bruce Coldren, and Gerald Willet could defeat a bunch of future NBA first round picks. No shot clock allowed Villanove to defeat Georgetown for the title in 1985, still considered one of the all time upsets.

Was lucky enough to get a student ticket for UCLA when Walton was the center and they had won 90 some games in a row.
The ducks won that day. That was the loudest i ever heard the pit. And it was the first time i had seen the big score board swaying
during a free throw for the Bruins. It was totally insane. Got in line on Friday evening for the Saturday afternoon game. The magic
of the pit cant be reproduced by MKA.