#15 Oregon @ Washington State (Sat 4 PM Pac-12 Net)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

scoducks
Three Star Recruit

Re: #15 Oregon @ Washington State (Sat 4 PM Pac-12 Net)

Post by scoducks »

RanDux wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:It was nice to see this team dominate the 2nd half without Brooks. Ennis is becoming our Elgin Cook these last couple days. Being able to drive and dish. And his outside shot was gold. He's looking really good.

Boucher was having a party just like Dorsey did against the Huskies.

Overall a great weekend for the Ducks!!!
That's what I started noticing as well. About the only he's not doing that Cook did well was rebounding and even then, Ennis still gets in the scrum and attempts to go for them.
For sure. It's amazing what injuries do. Brooks looked really rough the first 5 games back. Boucher is just started to look himself again after getting hurt before UNLV. Ennis has been looking really good since Pac-12 play started.

I think injuries really hurt our flow for a lot of the season. It's nice everyone is healthy now (Except Cage).
Is Cage still injured or are they just red-shirting him at this point?
IIRC Cage had the concussion at the beginning of the year. When he passed concussion protocol he injured his knee. I believe due to all the injuries and missed time he is redshirting now.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

And I haven't heard anything specific about Cage's status, but for the reasons scoducks lists above, it's really hard to imagine his getting any meaningful playing time this year with all of the Ducks' depth.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Yeah, I think it's best if he redshirt. He'll have more of a shot to earn PT next year with Boucher gone. 3 of our big are potentially seniors next year.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

lol @ ernie kent. the reason boucher hasn't been as productive from 3 this year is because teams have scouted him and learned to take away the corner 3. then along comes ernie kent, who spits on the scouting report and leaves boucher alone from behind the arc all night long.

it was those types of things that used to drive me crazy about him.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

oregontrack wrote:lol @ ernie kent. the reason boucher hasn't been as productive from 3 this year is because teams have scouted him and learned to take away the corner 3. then along comes ernie kent, who spits on the scouting report and leaves boucher alone from behind the arc all night long.

it was those types of things that used to drive me crazy about him.
To be fair though, Boucher has been far more quiet since he got injured before the UNLV game. And prior to our game against Wazzu, Boucher had only hit 2 three-pointers in the last 8 games.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

agreed; because teams are defending him and taking away his favorite look in the corner. then we get to ernie, who does the opposite of that and lets boucher do whatever he wants. i just thought it was a classic ernie game.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Related to what oregontrack and TK1 are discussing, I read the following comments from Ernie after the game:

“It was our third game in seven days,” Washington State coach Ernie Kent said. “I felt like our legs left us, our mental sharpness left us.

“Our rotations weren’t there on defense and that’s too good of a team to give open looks to.”

It felt kind of sad to me to hear that kind of "explanation" for not playing good enough defense. "third game in seven days" in the middle of a basketball season with 20 year old conditioned young men? Eek. That's just like boot camp. :roll:
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

And here's Altman on "the kick" from the RG:

“His leg was caught awkardly, that was (Brooks’) description of it,” Altman said Monday morning. “That’s what I saw too.”

Brooks was assessed a flagrant foul 2 and ejected from the game after officials reviewed the play. Altman said the referees made the right call.

“That’s the letter of the law,” Altman said, pointing out the penalty covers a blow to the groin, regardless of intent.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Greenblood wrote:And here's Altman on "the kick" from the RG:

“His leg was caught awkardly, that was (Brooks’) description of it,” Altman said Monday morning. “That’s what I saw too.”

Brooks was assessed a flagrant foul 2 and ejected from the game after officials reviewed the play. Altman said the referees made the right call.

“That’s the letter of the law,” Altman said, pointing out the penalty covers a blow to the groin, regardless of intent.
Altman always keeps it real. No excuses.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

After hearing how the law if written and interpreted, it's easy to see why he was kicked out on Saturday. It's them being a bit on the overly cautious side but one that is sort of understandable.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Yeah, I suppose. Maybe the rule can be amended in some way to allow for intent.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Greenblood wrote:Yeah, I suppose. Maybe the rule can be amended in some way to allow for intent.
To me, it should be reviewed just like targeting calls are in college football.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Greenblood wrote:Related to what oregontrack and TK1 are discussing, I read the following comments from Ernie after the game:

“It was our third game in seven days,” Washington State coach Ernie Kent said. “I felt like our legs left us, our mental sharpness left us.

“Our rotations weren’t there on defense and that’s too good of a team to give open looks to.”

It felt kind of sad to me to hear that kind of "explanation" for not playing good enough defense. "third game in seven days" in the middle of a basketball season with 20 year old conditioned young men? Eek. That's just like boot camp. :roll:
oregontrack - Probably true. But I'd also argue because Boucher is just 4 games off his injury and has looked a little rusty, that probably factored into Wazzu overlooking him. Or maybe you are completely right and that's just how EK does it lol.

It never looks good for any coach to make excuses for losing.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13