Brooks is amazing

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Brooks is amazing

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Watch this video.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ars-player

When you examine the replay you get the feeling of what a talent Brooks is. First of all he gets hit in what should have been a foul, but no call so he keeps his head in the game. Shot misses so he goes for the rebound. Then, #2 for WSU pole-vaults to get the rebound, using Brooks' back as the pole, slamming him to the ground. Then as Brooks is going down he has the presence of mind to position one foot completely underneath him. Did he risk spraining an ankle doing this? Yes. But Brooks is such a talent that he knew exactly where to put that foot to avoid injury. Then as he goes down he slams his head into the floor but continues on with the original plan. Notice that after his head hits the floor he turns his head. Is he watching the ball and game-action. No way. He is deflecting suspicion while he lands the ultimate no-look-ball-pass; passing his size 13s right into the nether regions of Josh Hawkinson.

Unluckily, the refs were on their game tonight and caught him, but 9 out of 10 times he gets away with it. Beautifully drawn up play. Perhaps Altman had a hand in it. Most definitely we'll see this again in the post-season.
greenyellow

Re: Brooks is amazing

Post by greenyellow »

Seems the vast majority of people realize he was trying to prevent worse injury to himself versus him doing it intentionally out of frustration.
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

When you watch at game speed, it's pretty clear he didn't do it on purpose. Slo-mo makes it look worse. Ridiculous call by the officials.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

That's pretty much a "stuff happens" kind of play. Worthy of a common foul but no more.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

AutzenMember wrote:When you watch at game speed, it's pretty clear he didn't do it on purpose. Slo-mo makes it look worse. Ridiculous call by the officials.
I kind of disagree. I thought the Slo-Mo made it look more unintentional. You could see him trying to get his foot free from the floor and he wasn't looking at the kid who got kicked. His foot came up just milliseconds after his head hit hard on the floor and his head was pointed away from the kid.

But the rule on kicks to the groin is that it is a flagrant foul regardless of intention.
jsfduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jsfduck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Watch this video.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ars-player

When you examine the replay you get the feeling of what a talent Brooks is. First of all he gets hit in what should have been a foul, but no call so he keeps his head in the game. Shot misses so he goes for the rebound. Then, #2 for WSU pole-vaults to get the rebound, using Brooks' back as the pole, slamming him to the ground. Then as Brooks is going down he has the presence of mind to position one foot completely underneath him. Did he risk spraining an ankle doing this? Yes. But Brooks is such a talent that he knew exactly where to put that foot to avoid injury. Then as he goes down he slams his head into the floor but continues on with the original plan. Notice that after his head hits the floor he turns his head. Is he watching the ball and game-action. No way. He is deflecting suspicion while he lands the ultimate no-look-ball-pass; passing his size 13s right into the nether regions of Josh Hawkinson.

Unluckily, the refs were on their game tonight and caught him, but 9 out of 10 times he gets away with it. Beautifully drawn up play. Perhaps Altman had a hand in it. Most definitely we'll see this again in the post-season.

hahaha good commentary on that play. pretty silly call for sure. meanwhile kid from Duke (name slips my mind) once again trips a guy, no habbit of dirty play there at all. :roll:
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Grayson Allen has redefined moving your feet on Defense. Typical Dukie...
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

NCAA and Pac-12 determine no further punishment for Brooks is necessary:
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... -ejection/
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
AutzenMember wrote:When you watch at game speed, it's pretty clear he didn't do it on purpose. Slo-mo makes it look worse. Ridiculous call by the officials.
I kind of disagree. I thought the Slo-Mo made it look more unintentional. You could see him trying to get his foot free from the floor and he wasn't looking at the kid who got kicked. His foot came up just milliseconds after his head hit hard on the floor and his head was pointed away from the kid.

But the rule on kicks to the groin is that it is a flagrant foul regardless of intention.
To me it was especially key where he was looking as he fell and his leg swung up. Surely if he wanted to kick the guy in the groin, he would have been looking to make sure he did it. Just a real failure on the refs' part in regard to intention.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah doesn't look intentional, but I'm OK with the flagrant during the game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I was pissed when I saw that call, as it seemed pretty clear that it was not intentional.

I was curious, so I read the rules for flagrant fouls after the game. Interestingly, I always thought a Flagrant 1 was excessive contact and a Flagrant 2 was excessive contact with intent (ie fighting). However, that is NOT the case. There is nothing in the rules that mentions "intent". Flagrant 1 is essentially defined as unnecessary contact. A Flagrant 2 is defined as unnecessary contact that is excessive and/or violent.

In the context of that play, you could argue that kick was pretty violent, so I could see the Flagrant 2 call from that perspective. However, was it really "unnecessary"? If Brooks doesn't free that leg, he probably misses part or all of the season.

Ultimately, I probably would have given him a Flagrant 1 and called it a day. Flagrant 2 was pretty harsh, but it appears it was within the definition of the rule book.