Washington just fired Romar

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck541
Four Star Recruit

Washington just fired Romar

Post by duck541 »

Already there are reports that 3 starters might transfer and that all their recruits are exploring other options.

Hahaha somehow they even messed firing Romar. Probably should have given him another year and fired him next year. That way they would have kept their best recruiting class ever and Romar's buyout would be less.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Washington just fired Romar

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Overdue.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

So it looks like Michael Porter, the UW assistant who's son was UW's top recruit, is headed to Mizzou to join Cuonzo Martin's staff. Michael Porter, Jr. never signed an NLI so can decommit from UW without penalty and is expected to follow his dad to Mizzou. The UW program is going to be absolutely decimated since it sounds like all their starters from last year will be gone and now their entire recruiting class as well.

It'll be interesting is Oregon goes after Daejon Davis or Jaylen Nowell if they lose Dorsey this off-season.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Yeah, I'm afraid we may lose Bell, Dorsey, AND Brooks. Brooks for sure, Bell and Dorsey 50/50. (Although I think they both need 1 more year of development, Dorsey to be THE guy and Bell to polish his offense and get a consistent jumper form 15-17 ft.)

Davis+McCoy would be a pretty great start to rebuilding if that happens.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

duck541 wrote:Already there are reports that 3 starters might transfer and that all their recruits are exploring other options.

Hahaha somehow they even messed firing Romar. Probably should have given him another year and fired him next year. That way they would have kept their best recruiting class ever and Romar's buyout would be less.
Why would another year have changed anything? He's had 5 first rounders in the last 6 years, with zero NCAA tournament appearances in that time. Talent wasn't his problem, coaching them was.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Romar has been a slightly better recruiter, but probably a worst coach than Ernie Kent. I'm shocked he lasted this long.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Kent just swept him, with far less talent this year.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
duck541 wrote:Already there are reports that 3 starters might transfer and that all their recruits are exploring other options.

Why would another year have changed anything? He's had 5 first rounders in the last 6 years, with zero NCAA tournament appearances in that time. Talent wasn't his problem, coaching them was.
The question wasn't if he needed to go but when. By doing it now they cost themselves an extra 3mil for his buyout and throw away the best recruiting class they've ever had. Yea Porter was only going to stay one year, but the other guys aren't one and done players. If they waited til next year they would have saved money and had some talent to pass along to the new coach. Doing it now will set them back like 3 years.

It's the right decision with shitty timing, and it's hilarious that they managed to shoot themselves in the foot while getting rid of Romar.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Well rumor is that Martin had been taking to Missouri and Porter Sr, since early January. The Porters were gone either way.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Hot take... EK to UW!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

A little sad, though, because they might actually end up with someone good and no longer be mediocre to poor in a few years.

The Ducks' consistent success under Altman surely didn't help Romar.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

woundedknees wrote:Hot take... EK to UW!

I just had that same thought. On the other hand, I wonder if they might try to come after Altman? That would SUCK!
John 3:36
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

SuperDuck wrote:

I just had that same thought. On the other hand, I wonder if they might try to come after Altman? That would SUCK!
Naw i doubt Altman would leave here for the Huskies..That is a major rebuild. And he has Oregon rolling.
My guess and its just that the huskies make a play for Mark Few.. Would he go ? ya never know..
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

no way Altman would ever go there, he's built something special here. Only places I can see him going are places like Kansas and Duke.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

SuperDuck wrote:

:lol: :lol: Is this a joke?