basketball rumor

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: basketball rumor

Post by Phenom »

Thanks for sharing guys. Lots of potential change on the roster next year but Altman always gets it done.

KBW asking for a redshirt is interesting. Ideally, it would have been this year but I guess Cage getting hurt kinda killed that. I've heard that the staff really like Cage
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Interesting. I didn't hear anything about it being a stretch 4, just a really good big man.

Here's a random list of possible grad transfers if anyone feels like guessing: http://georgiabasketballblog.com/possib ... hot-board/
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

duck541 wrote:I have no idea what the rumor on DT is, but I heard from someone close to the program that we might potentially get a grad transfer next year. Not sure on the name, but they speculated that it was a big man.

Second part of the rumor is that they also feel like they will land McCoy, in which case they would redshirt KBW next year to develop his game. Love his potential, and think he can blossom with more time at this level. That plan is contingent on Bell returning tho.

A few other rumblings:

- Benson might transfer to get more playing time/usage in his senior season.
- Bell is leaning towards staying but it depends on feedback he gets from NBA after tourney.
- Brooks and Dorsey are pretty much 100% gone.
All interesting stuff, but some doesn't make sense, especially redshirting KBW. Dude is playing on a Sweet 16 team. If we get McCoy and Bell stays, we'll play them together with KBW as the primary backup for both off the bench. (unless the grad transfer is a top tier NBA talent player, then this might make sense).

Benson transferring doesn't make a ton of sense to me because he's going to play a lot next year regardless on a successful team. Seems he'd only get more minutes next year.

The players leaving/staying make sense. Bell needs to develop his offense to be an NBA guy, Brooks is obviously gone, and Dorsey has always been a guy I thought would leave after this year for whatever reason.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

I can't see KBW redshirting. He has such a great skillset and just needs some more practice. This tournament is perfect for him. And as much as I hope we get a big transfer, getting McCoy I think is still key for the upcoming class.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Anyone hear anything about White?

Also, are Smith and Sorkin staying?
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Phenom wrote:Anyone hear anything about White?

Also, are Smith and Sorkin staying?
I've heard the coaches really like White, especially his versatility. I would expect him to see 20+ minutes next year depending on how the rest of the roster shakes out.

Smith will likely stay and Sorkin is another transfer possibility.
Sad Sports Fan
One Star Recruit

Post by Sad Sports Fan »

mattc94 wrote:I can't see KBW redshirting. He has such a great skillset and just needs some more practice. This tournament is perfect for him. And as much as I hope we get a big transfer, getting McCoy I think is still key for the upcoming class.
Again, KBW is the one demanding a RS

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think Smith is staying since most of his playing time issues were due to injury, not Altman having him in his doghouse. Sorkin could easily go play overseas (likely Israel) so I'd say he's 50-50. I think we can safely say that at least half to as much as 3/4 of the team will be new next season. They're going to be young and inexperienced but will have a lot of potential. Biggest issue for next season is who'll be the primary scorers, especially from the backcourt and wing spots.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Sad Sports Fan wrote:
mattc94 wrote:I can't see KBW redshirting. He has such a great skillset and just needs some more practice. This tournament is perfect for him. And as much as I hope we get a big transfer, getting McCoy I think is still key for the upcoming class.

You don't often see that too often from high-level guys. His development and eligibility was shortened because of the injury to Cage and is only now getting playing time due to Boucher. I do wonder how he'd look if he wasn't shortchanged minutes due to the presence of Bell and Boucher.
Sad Sports Fan
One Star Recruit

Post by Sad Sports Fan »

greenyellow wrote:
Sad Sports Fan wrote:

You don't often see that too often from high-level guys. His development and eligibility was shortened because of the injury to Cage and is only now getting playing time due to Boucher. I do wonder how he'd look if he wasn't shortchanged minutes due to the presence of Bell and Boucher.
It definitely is an odd situation, but apparently he's hell bent on taking a year to improve and will transfer of he doesn't get to RS at Oregon next year. He seems very aware of his weaknesses which is a good thing

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Cameron Reynolds?

Just guessing... I have NO clue!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

duck541 wrote:
Phenom wrote:I don't think KBW would want to redshirt. Plus, I think he plays a pretty prominent role next year.

Kinda get the Benson stuff but kinda not. I think his skillset for his current roll.

Dorsey should stay one more year to be the man but we've been hearing since last year that he was leaning towards last year.

The Pac will be pretty deep next year but I have confidence in Altman. He always makes us a contender.
Yea I was surprised to hear that about KBW too, but it sounds like that is contingent on landing a big man grad transfer, Bell coming back, and landing McCoy. I kinda doubt all 3 of those things happen.

I can understand Benson wanting to go to smaller school and being more of "the man" so he can showcase himself for a potential Euro contract. I don't see him starting at the end of next year, maybe at the beginning, but probably loses his spot to Brown.

Personally agree about Dorsey, but he's playing really well right now, and he seems like he wants to go pro. And maybe he thinks he's better off progressing his game in Europe and getting paid where he doesn't have to worry about school.

I dunno, just sharing the rumors I heard. Would love if someone could clue us into what the DT post was about tho.
I don't think Benson has a pro future here or abroad. He's a step slow, can't create a shot for himself, and doesn't break down defenses with the ball in his hands. He's a good spot up shooter in the college game and doesn't make many bonehead moves.
I'm not sold on Dorsey as a pro as he stands now either. The way he's playing now says that maybe he is pro material, but he has yet to put a whole solid season together. At his size he should be faster and a better leaper, he gets lots of shots blocked going to the hoop. It will only get more difficult for him to drive to the hoop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

A lot of guys slower, less athletic, and less intelligent than Benson have made careers overseas so I think Benson will find a place there as well. The thing with Benson is he plays within Altman's system and tends not to freelance like Pritchard does. He knows he's not counted on to be the go-to scorer so doesn't always look for his shot.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Ducks10 wrote:Can't be Landale then, right? He's 6'11, 260. Seems a little big for a stretch 4. I think it's imperative to get a grad transfer C/PF. White could be good, and I know if we get McCoy he will be good, but someone with experience will be needed (especially if Bell goes).
Landale would be sick. Give Oregon a consistent low post offensive scorer they haven't had in a LONG time.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Sad Sports Fan wrote:

How sure are you of this? I didn't hear that detail, and judging from all his quotes leading up to the Iona game about being ready and wanting to play it seems a little odd that he would be so adamant about redshirting. Not trying to say you're wrong, just looking to clarify. Personally I hope he redshirts cuz his potential is off the charts and he needs a lot of development.