Cal makes puzzling HC hire

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Cal makes puzzling HC hire

Post by greenyellow »

Cal has hired a new coach but they're not getting a whole lot of support with it. They hired Wyking Jones, an assistant coach under Cuonzo Martin the past few seasons. Money is tight down there but most didn't think it was that bad. Cal and UW are going to be horrible the next few seasons with who they hired as HCs.
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Re: Cal makes puzzling HC hire

Post by Ducks10 »

Worst hire I've ever seen in the P10/12. This is worse than Hoke.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

What's even worse about the entire thing, is sounds like they had a deal done with Mussleman, but boosters weren't on board and fighting with the AD about it. Then when they decided to all get on board, he said no thanks you guys are a mess, and stayed at Nevada. He would have been a fantastic hire, I can't believe UW didn't hire him.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

This is what happens when your athletic department is $20 million in the hole annually.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:What's even worse about the entire thing, is sounds like they had a deal done with Mussleman, but boosters weren't on board and fighting with the AD about it. Then when they decided to all get on board, he said no thanks you guys are a mess, and stayed at Nevada. He would have been a fantastic hire, I can't believe UW didn't hire him.
When I heard Musselman turned them down, I had a feeling they were going to end up with less than a name coach. The players seem happy with the hire but there's more to being a good coach than just recruiting and being liked by the players. He's going to have to prove he knows the Xs and Os as well.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Duck24 wrote:This is what happens when your athletic department is $20 million in the hole annually.
This. I heard they're really short on $$$
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Phenom wrote:
Duck24 wrote:This is what happens when your athletic department is $20 million in the hole annually.
Their AD is financially insolvent. Jon Wilner, as big of a tool as he is, has done a ton of great work on their situation. They are up to their eyeballs in debt due to their renovation of their football stadium and they don't have the attendance to support it.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

They renovated that place? I was there for the football game this year and that place is still a complete dump
Duck24 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
Their AD is financially insolvent. Jon Wilner, as big of a tool as he is, has done a ton of great work on their situation. They are up to their eyeballs in debt due to their renovation of their football stadium and they don't have the attendance to support it.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

northbeachsf wrote:They renovated that place? I was there for the football game this year and that place is still a complete dump
Duck24 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
They spent $321 million. :lol:
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

northbeachsf wrote:They renovated that place? I was there for the football game this year and that place is still a complete dump
Duck24 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
lol same, scary to think what it looked like before the renovation..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13