Duck Women: #10 Oregon v. #1 UConn (4:06 p.m. PT, ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Duck Women: #10 Oregon v. #1 UConn (4:06 p.m. PT, ESPN)

Post by Alan »

Ducks10 wrote:Expected, but great season and plenty to build off. UConn is just on another planet, no shame in losing big to them.

No gameplan would have made this any closer, UConn is too good for us. Plain and simple.
Lady Ducks had a great season and they need an applause, watched enough of the game to see they were completely out matched. My hats off to the ladies and what another great Duck athletic season to remember!
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

How is UCONN so dominant? I just can't imagine a team like Bama winning over 100 games in a row. How do they sustain that much success?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

karlhungis wrote:How is UCONN so dominant? I just can't imagine a team like Bama winning over 100 games in a row. How do they sustain that much success?
Oh, I don't know. Best coach in the game? Recruits the best players in the game? I dunno, how does he do it?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Indeed -- tremendous accomplishments for the Duck women this year. And by going against the best today and coming so far short, they now also have a very tangible sense of just how much better they need to be to get where they want to get. Really looking forward to next year and beyond.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

And let's not forget that it was a home game for UConn.

Reading the R-G article on the loss, it definitely looks like the team was looking at it as a learning experience long before the game was even over.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

nogerO wrote:
karlhungis wrote:How is UCONN so dominant? I just can't imagine a team like Bama winning over 100 games in a row. How do they sustain that much success?
Oh, I don't know. Best coach in the game? Recruits the best players in the game? I dunno, how does he do it?
Tell me when Saban (best coach in football with the best recruits) rips off 100 wins in a row. There is dominant and there is UCONN women's basketball dominance.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Great video of the postgame speech Kelly Graves gave his team.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

karlhungis wrote:
nogerO wrote:
Tell me when Saban (best coach in football with the best recruits) rips off 100 wins in a row. There is dominant and there is UCONN women's basketball dominance.
I think it has to do with where the sport is. College football attracts the best because they are compensated accordingly. Saban has to compete against the best minds in the sport.

Women's college basketball just isn't there, and may never be, which allows for massive gaps in coaching ability. Not to take anything away from Geno but he is somewhat of a big fish in a little pond.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

No doubt most or all of us are aware that Mississippi State ended UConn's 111-game winning streak in the [semifinal] game with a buzzer-beater in OT. I thought it worth pointing out that the Ducks lost by 12 to the eventual national champions early this season in Hawaii.
Last edited by Greenblood on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Greenblood wrote:No doubt most or all of us are aware that Mississippi State ended UConn's 111-game winning streak in the championship game with a buzzer-beater in OT. I thought it worth pointing out that the Ducks lost by 12 to the eventual national champions early this season in Hawaii.
I thought they beat them in the final four, not the championship game. The championship was Miss State and South Carolina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

duckduckgoose wrote:
Greenblood wrote:No doubt most or all of us are aware that Mississippi State ended UConn's 111-game winning streak in the championship game with a buzzer-beater in OT. I thought it worth pointing out that the Ducks lost by 12 to the eventual national champions early this season in Hawaii.
I thought they beat them in the final four, not the championship game. The championship was Miss State and South Carolina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They did, South Carolina beat MSU in the championship tonight!
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

OOPS! Sorry, got so caught up in the fact that UConn finally lost AND that the Ducks didn't lose to their conquerors by much that I wasn't paying close enough attention. :oops: