Brandon McCoy Update

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Diehardduckfan
Three Star Recruit

Brandon McCoy Update

Post by Diehardduckfan »

oregontrack wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Arizona will have DeAndre ayton next year and UCLA still has Walsh. I don't think we would fare well against those squads.
walsh = thomas welsh? even if he does come back (he declared for the draft w/o an agent), he's a skinny 7'0 kid who shoots jumpers. what i meant by the pac-12 not being an overly large conference is that we don't have to worry about a ton of bruisers commanding the paint. there aren't any ike diogu's roaming around next year. we can still be pretty good next year playing small ball.
Uh have you seen who Arizona has committed to the 2017 class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Diehardduckfan on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Brandon McCoy Update

Post by oregontrack »

the pac-12 is more than just arizona. arizona could start shaq in his prime next year and i could still accurately say the pac-12 is not loaded with quality big men. arizona kicked our ass three times during joe young's senior year, but we still finished second in the conference and won a tournament game. we managed to do alright for ourselves despite *oh the horror* arizona existing.

usc might have the best big man in the league in metu. it's STILL accurate to say the pac-12 is not loaded with talented big men.
ImageImageImageImageImage
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

We need Shittu to get reclassified and for MJ Cage to stay healthy. I'm told the coaches really like his game, but it means nothing if he's sitting on the bench injured. He legit 6'10, and right now looks like our starting C.
Diehardduckfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by Diehardduckfan »

oregontrack wrote:the pac-12 is more than just arizona. arizona could start shaq in his prime next year and i could still accurately say the pac-12 is not loaded with quality big men. arizona kicked our ass three times during joe young's senior year, but we still finished second in the conference and won a tournament game. we managed to do alright for ourselves despite *oh the horror* arizona existing.

usc might have the best big man in the league in metu. it's STILL accurate to say the pac-12 is not loaded with talented big men.
Sure, I don't think too many conferences are "loaded" with big men, just because there aren't too many tall 6'9" and up and large 240lbs and up talented basketball players in existence in the world.

So despite you dismissing Arizona, I have hopes that Oregon can stay above them and beat them and when the conference. I like winning the conference, even though some people just care about the tournament.

nogerO
Senior

I love Altman

Post by nogerO »

but he's got his work cut out for him next year. I think he will pull a rabbit out of his hat like always...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I'm not going to be one of the Twitter morons that messages these things to kids..

But...whether there was "something shady" or not, it's just a really dumb decision by an 18 year old kid. Choosing UNLV will not help his development or profile as a player. Anthony Bennett went there for 1 year and literally made no improvements. Yeah, he got drafted #1, but that was A: A down year and B: He flamed out in the NBA because he didn't develop in college at all. Playing for Arizona, Oregon, or Michigan State, you're going to develop, you're still going to be a lottery pick and at Oregon the minutes are there as well. Enjoy the Mountain West and not developing.

I made a lot of dumb decisions at 18 as well of course, but damn, this one stings.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GrantDuck wrote:I'm not going to be one of the Twitter morons that messages these things to kids..

But...whether there was "something shady" or not, it's just a really dumb decision by an 18 year old kid. Choosing UNLV will not help his development or profile as a player. Anthony Bennett went there for 1 year and literally made no improvements. Yeah, he got drafted #1, but that was A: A down year and B: He flamed out in the NBA because he didn't develop in college at all. Playing for Arizona, Oregon, or Michigan State, you're going to develop, you're still going to be a lottery pick and at Oregon the minutes are there as well. Enjoy the Mountain West and not developing.

I made a lot of dumb decisions at 18 as well of course, but damn, this one stings.
This really sums it up, I won't go on hating this kid or anything like that, but like I previously said, this is his loss more than Oregon's loss. Just not a smart decision for his future at all, but he's still talented and will find a way to have a solid NBA career.

duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Not sure of the reasons for choosing UNLV. Kids 18 and something must have
swayed him. Dont think he looked at the big picture. But its his choice to live with.
Would have been nice to see him at Oregon but now we know that wont happen.
I wish him the best of luck and hope in a couple of years he's happy with his
decison.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah don't get UNLV. There's a lot of young talent and an opportunity to compete at a high level and play lots of minutes. Plus Oregon has a done a good job in developing guys under DA. Oh well.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I like Shittu more than McCoy but he's not a sure thing by any means.

The only thing I will say about McCoy is that him going to UNLV over Oregon, MSU, AZ, etc. says a lot about him. He wouldn't have helped our program as much as we hoped.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

UNLV won 11 games last year.
2 of their top 3 scorers were seniors.

Only thing I can think is he was promised to get a bunch of touches and the offense will run around him. And honestly if that's who he is, then maybe it's better he went to UNLV instead of Oregon. Like Phenom said, maybe he wouldn't have helped us as much as we hoped. Maybe best for both worlds.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
blahblah

Post by blahblah »

The salt is real with Ducks fans. For those thinking McCoy was some Oregon-Lock and UNLV came out of the woodwork 3-weeks before his decision is just ridiculous. I'll educate you on some actual reasons why McCoy is headed to Las Vegas. From his point of view, it was the logical choice.

1. Shaun Manning is McCoy's Guardian in San Diego. Manning has run an AAU program named Ground Up for years.

2a. Marvin Menzies(UNLV Head Coach) has known Shaun Manning for almost 20 years.
2b. Remember that Menzies coached under Steve Fisher at SDSU in San Diego.(1999-2003) Henry Bibby and at USC 2003-04, Lon Kruger at UNLV 2004-05....but his biggest influence was coaching under Rick Pitino at Louisville. Pitino praised Menzies as one of the best recruiters in the nation. 2007 New Mexico State hired him and he subsequently recruited and signed a handful of Top-100 players during his time there taking NMSU to the NCAAs 5 times in 9 seasons. He brought NMSU their first 3 WAC Basketball Championships and produced two AP All-Americans... Menzies style of offense resembles a Pitino's 2-1-2 Post focused offense. In addition, Menzies rebounding schemes are borrowed from the Cardinals.
Menzies likes BIGs like Pitino likes BIGs and runs the offense through the 4 & 5.
(See how this would be attractive to McCoy so far?)

3. Anthony Smith - JC xfer Feather River College... signed a LOI to play for UNLV in January. Smith played for Shaun Manning's AAU team 'Ground Up'. Smith describes Manning as basiclly his 'uncle'...Smith has a tragic past where he has lost 4 close family members to murders... Manning and his AAU program saved this kid. He helped him get his GED and into a Juniou College. McCoy and Smith are like brothers.....

4. Assistant Coach Andre LaFleur
Lafleur is from Southern California and has known Shaun Manning for 15+ years as well. He was the NCAA Assist leader in 1989and drafted by Houston. He played in the the NBA for a year and then overseas for 11 years. He then was an assistant under Calhoun at UConn -he recruited and coached All-Americans Hasheem Thabeet and Kemba Walker and then went to work for Ed Cooley at Providence where he recruited and coached Kris Dunn. LaFleur was Smith's and McCoy's lead recruiter.

When McCoy said it felt right and it felt like family, well there is no wonder. Manning took McCoy on his official as well as 4 unofficial visits to Unlv. With Menzies-Manning-LaFluer's familiarity with each other and the fact that Anthony Smith had signed, it probably did feel 'right'.... Add in Menzies 2-1-2 Post Offense he favors the UNLV commitment seemed logical to McCoy.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

blahblah wrote:The salt is real with Ducks fans. For those thinking McCoy was some Oregon-Lock and UNLV came out of the woodwork 3-weeks before his decision is just ridiculous. I'll educate you on some actual reasons why McCoy is headed to Las Vegas. From his point of view, it was the logical choice.

1. Shaun Manning is McCoy's Guardian in San Diego. Manning has run an AAU program named Ground Up for years.

2a. Marvin Menzies(UNLV Head Coach) has known Shaun Manning for almost 20 years.
2b. Remember that Menzies coached under Steve Fisher at SDSU in San Diego.(1999-2003) Henry Bibby and at USC 2003-04, Lon Kruger at UNLV 2004-05....but his biggest influence was coaching under Rick Pitino at Louisville. Pitino praised Menzies as one of the best recruiters in the nation. 2007 New Mexico State hired him and he subsequently recruited and signed a handful of Top-100 players during his time there taking NMSU to the NCAAs 5 times in 9 seasons. He brought NMSU their first 3 WAC Basketball Championships and produced two AP All-Americans... Menzies style of offense resembles a Pitino's 2-1-2 Post focused offense. In addition, Menzies rebounding schemes are borrowed from the Cardinals.
Menzies likes BIGs like Pitino likes BIGs and runs the offense through the 4 & 5.

3. Anthony Smith - JC xfer Feather River College... signed a LOI to play for UNLV in January. Smith played for Shaun Manning's AAU team 'Ground Up'. Smith describes Manning as basiclly his 'uncle'...Smith has a tragic past where he has lost 4 close family members to murders... Manning and his AAU program saved this kid. He helped him get his GED and into a Juniou College. McCoy and Smith are like brothers.....

Lafleur is from Southern California and has known Shaun Manning for 15+ years as well. He was the NCAA Assist leader in 1989and drafted by Houston. He played in the the NBA for a year and then overseas for 11 years. He then was an assistant under Calhoun at UConn -he recruited and coached All-Americans Hasheem Thabeet and Kemba Walker and then went to work for Ed Cooley at Providence where he recruited and coached Kris Dunn. LaFleur was Smith's and McCoy's lead recruiter.

When McCoy said it felt right and it felt like family, well there is no wonder. Manning took McCoy on his official as well as 4 unofficial visits to Unlv. With Menzies-Manning-LaFluer's familiarity with each other and the fact that Anthony Smith had signed, it probably did feel 'right'.... Add in Menzies 2-1-2 Post Offense he favors the UNLV commitment seemed logical to McCoy.
Thanks bud still his loss UO>UNLV
Return Of the Quack!
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

blahblah wrote:The salt is real with Ducks fans. For those thinking McCoy was some Oregon-Lock and UNLV came out of the woodwork 3-weeks before his decision is just ridiculous. I'll educate you on some actual reasons why McCoy is headed to Las Vegas. From his point of view, it was the logical choice.

You're going to find salt with any of the Twitter morons out there from both fan bases. But your also going to find people asking questions when a player rated so highly turns down both Dana Altman AND Tom Izzo. If Lon Kruger was still at UNLV I don't think people would have noticed. I know there is a spotlight on Vegas due to all the high level tournaments that play there.... But UNLV has been up and down for a while. Sad because I loved Tarkanian's teams growing up.
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

I knew something was off with UNLV when Chris Beard took the job last year and bolted 2 weeks later for a terrible Texas Tech job. Something smells fishy there