Now that Bell is official, will the pieces fall in place?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

Now that Bell is official, will the pieces fall in place?

Post by northbeachsf »

With Bell making it official, Oregon has 4 open spots right now. Some of the pieces are going to start to fall in place. Here is what I think is going to happen. I don't have inside information, this is just my gut:

1) Simi Shittu is Oregon's top priority and they will hold a spot for him. I expect he will re-classify and join Oregon's 2017 class, but not until this summer sometime.
2) Kenny Wooten's spot is now open with Bell leaving and he will get the offer he wants. IMO, we will see a commitment from him in the next week or two.
3) Oregon desperately needs a guard that can score the ball. Elijah Brown is probably the best option right now. I expect Oregon to close the deal with him before the end of the month to fill that void. I know people are concerned about his shooting percentage, but go back and look at Calliste's and Young's percentages when they were the only scoring options on their respective teams. Opposing teams didn't need to respect the other players on defense. That won't be the issue here and Brown will make a huge jump, much like Young and Calliste did.
4) Isiaha Mike will grab the last spot open spot and redshirt next season.

Others names we have heard that will end up somewhere else:
McCoy - MSU. Wants to make a run at a championship. The departures of our all of our elite scorers and upperclassmen (especially Bell) probably doomed us here.
Bowen - Creighton. Good team with tons of minutes where he will be the focus of the offense. Makes too much sense not to happen.
Tucker - Syracuse or Georgia Tech probably due to distance
Jeter - Gonzaga makes sense with Collins leaving. I don't think he is high enough on Oregon's board anyways.
Ayala - Re-classifies to 2017 and ends up at Syracuse with Tucker.
Landale - Likely enters the NBA Draft. Transfer talk has all but stopped.
Johnson - Too many schools in the mix for this to be a realistic option at this point.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Now that Bell is official, will the pieces fall in place

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Wooten is probably the guy I have most likely committing right now. Outside of that, it's really up in the air. I think Brown will end up a duck if he qualifies.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

northbeachsf wrote:With Bell making it official, Oregon has 4 open spots right now. Some of the pieces are going to start to fall in place. Here is what I think is going to happen. I don't have inside information, this is just my gut:

1) Simi Shittu is Oregon's top priority and they will hold a spot for him. I expect he will re-classify and join Oregon's 2017 class, but not until this summer sometime.
2) Kenny Wooten's spot is now open with Bell leaving and he will get the offer he wants. IMO, we will see a commitment from him in the next week or two.
3) Oregon desperately needs a guard that can score the ball. Elijah Brown is probably the best option right now. I expect Oregon to close the deal with him before the end of the month to fill that void. I know people are concerned about his shooting percentage, but go back and look at Calliste's and Young's percentages when they were the only scoring options on their respective teams. Opposing teams didn't need to respect the other players on defense. That won't be the issue here and Brown will make a huge jump, much like Young and Calliste did.
4) Isiaha Mike will grab the last spot open spot and redshirt next season.

Others names we have heard that will end up somewhere else:
McCoy - MSU. Wants to make a run at a championship. The departures of our all of our elite scorers and upperclassmen (especially Bell) probably doomed us here.
Bowen - Creighton. Good team with tons of minutes where he will be the focus of the offense. Makes too much sense not to happen.
Tucker - Syracuse or Georgia Tech probably due to distance
Jeter - Gonzaga makes sense with Collins leaving. I don't think he is high enough on Oregon's board anyways.
Ayala - Re-classifies to 2017 and ends up at Syracuse with Tucker.
Landale - Likely enters the NBA Draft. Transfer talk has all but stopped.
Johnson - Too many schools in the mix for this to be a realistic option at this point.
1. No reason for him to wait until summer. I think he announces his intentions by the end of May, maybe sooner.

2. Wooten is all but a sure thing at this point I think.

3. Brown is 100% Ducks if he can get in. Apparently his grades might prevent him from transferring. He's right at or slightly below the GPA requirement.

4. Don't know much about his recruitment but I would love this. Kid will flourish under Altman.

5. All but McCoy are long shots at this point. And unfortunately it seems like McCoy might have cooled on us as well. Though I don't think he's going to MSU. UNLV seems to be the team to beat right now. McCoy's guardian is really close with their coach, and they just signed a JC player with ties to McCoy and his guardian. Rumors of a shady s*** going on with his recruitment lately, but I think we get an answer by the end of the month.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Shame about McCoy...
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Phenom wrote:Shame about McCoy...
What? From what I've been seeing, it's down to us and UNLV. A lot of people still think he'll be a duck, so if you care to elaborate as to why you think he's cooled on us? Because that's not what I've been reading.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

HomeSickDuck wrote:
What? From what I've been seeing, it's down to us and UNLV. A lot of people still think he'll be a duck, so if you care to elaborate as to why you think he's cooled on us? Because that's not what I've been reading.
Well I said "might have" and I based that off the fact he's taking his last visit to UNLV, just got a CB to them from the San Diego area writer who has been following his recruitment closely. McCoy also is hosting Izzo once more at home, and was in Detroit yesterday. All of this after he delayed his announcement and said he was ready but changed his mind. It was unclear if he meant he changed his pick, or just when he was announcing.

Either way, none of the above bodes all that well for us and at this point it's safe to say no one knows where this kid is going to play next year. So what have you been reading to make you think otherwise?
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

If he was committing here, why wouldn't he have done it already? Bell has announced, space for him, we want him, etc. I doubt he's coming here. None of the moves he's making make sense if he is.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

HomeSickDuck wrote:
I guess I have no inside knowledge of the situation (but nobody else seems to either), I was just hoping he would commit by now. If anything, Bell leaving should be considered a positive for him. I think he considers himself a 1-and-done.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Phenom wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:
I guess I have no inside knowledge of the situation (but nobody else seems to either), I was just hoping he would commit by now. If anything, Bell leaving should be considered a positive for him. I think he considers himself a 1-and-done.
Ok didn't know if you knew something different. I've read that he has some family ties to the coaching staff at UNLV. I also read that some shady stuff is going on in his recruitment, don't know how true that is just a rumor I read. But who knows, I just want it to end.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

HomeSickDuck wrote:
Phenom wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:
Ok didn't know if you knew something different. I've read that he has some family ties to the coaching staff at UNLV. I also read that some shady stuff is going on in his recruitment, don't know how true that is just a rumor I read. But who knows, I just want it to end.
I saw a video of him and his relationship with his guardian. Seems really fishy. Such is the nature of college athletics, though.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phenom wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:
Phenom wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:
I saw a video of him and his relationship with his guardian. Seems really fishy. Such is the nature of college athletics, though.
Tis the nature, it would have been great to have him signed up already. But Oregon has been his #1 location for a long time, and since he hasn't signed at anywhere else yet, every reason to think it still will be Oregon that gets him.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

It sounds like the staff is looking at Devonte Doutrive now. He is a 3-star shooting guard in 2017 class. Altman visited him last week when he was in SoCal. It also sounds like that staff is looking much closer at Jeter now too. As a result, you have to assume some of the pieces they thought were going to fall in place may not happen now.

Here is an updated list of who Oregon is looking at right now.....with my complete guesses on what will ultimately happen :):
1) McCoy - UNLV
2) Shittu - Oregon
3) Elijah Brown - Iowa State
4) Wooten - Oregon
5) Brian Bowen - Creighton
6) Chase Jeter - Gonzaga
7) Cameron Johnson - Oregon
8) Devante Doutrive - Oregon
9) Tucker - Georgia Tech
10) Ayala - Stays in 2018
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Interesting on Doutrive. Scout actually has him as the #64 prospect. Does he have bad grades or something? Seems weird he only has an offer from ASU and UTEP...

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Jeter doesn't make a ton of sense TBH.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Phenom wrote:Jeter doesn't make a ton of sense TBH.
Hmmm. You mean he has difficulty communicating with his teammates?

Btw, here's a piece in the R-G about Altman's dealing with so many of his players leaving. Nothing particularly surprising, though kind of nice to know that he was figuring that at least Brooks and Dorsey were gone after this year before the season even started.

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3551 ... /story.csp