Now that Bell is official, will the pieces fall in place?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Re: Now that Bell is official, will the pieces fall in place

Post by HomeSickDuck »

northbeachsf wrote:It sounds like the staff is looking at Devonte Doutrive now. He is a 3-star shooting guard in 2017 class. Altman visited him last week when he was in SoCal. It also sounds like that staff is looking much closer at Jeter now too. As a result, you have to assume some of the pieces they thought were going to fall in place may not happen now.

Here is an updated list of who Oregon is looking at right now.....with my complete guesses on what will ultimately happen :):
1) McCoy - UNLV
2) Shittu - Oregon
3) Elijah Brown - Iowa State
4) Wooten - Oregon
5) Brian Bowen - Creighton
6) Chase Jeter - Gonzaga
7) Cameron Johnson - Oregon
8) Devante Doutrive - Oregon
9) Tucker - Georgia Tech
10) Ayala - Stays in 2018

Any intel behind your predictions, or just purely gut feeling? I really want Cameron Johnson. Someone with his size and length that can shoot the ball from deep the good is a great assist to have. And his ability to guard multiple positions. If McCoy does indeed go to UNLV, getting Shittu would definitely make up for that, both him and Wooten are more athletic, just not quite as big.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

HomeSickDuck wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:It sounds like the staff is looking at Devonte Doutrive now. He is a 3-star shooting guard in 2017 class. Altman visited him last week when he was in SoCal. It also sounds like that staff is looking much closer at Jeter now too. As a result, you have to assume some of the pieces they thought were going to fall in place may not happen now.

Here is an updated list of who Oregon is looking at right now.....with my complete guesses on what will ultimately happen :):
1) McCoy - UNLV
2) Shittu - Oregon
4) Wooten - Oregon
6) Chase Jeter - Gonzaga
9) Tucker - Georgia Tech

Any intel behind your predictions, or just purely gut feeling? I really want Cameron Johnson. Someone with his size and length that can shoot the ball from deep the good is a great assist to have. And his ability to guard multiple positions. If McCoy does indeed go to UNLV, getting Shittu would definitely make up for that, both him and Wooten are more athletic, just not quite as big.
If Shittu does reclassify, Oregon is one of the top schools in the running. But that's still an IF up in the air.
Wooten is a no brainer. Been a silent since he visited.
Bowen isn't coming here.
Don't know much about Doutrive, so will defer to northbeachsf
Brown is still considered an Oregon lean FWIW.
Matt Prehm still says McCoy will pick Oregon, but that's a toss up at this point IMO. Who knows.
Johnson IMO will be pursued more now that we are out of the running for Isaiaha Mike.
If Oregon went all out for Tucker, could see him being a Duck, but it sounds like we need more shooters and big men at this point.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:

1) McCoy - UNLV
2) Shittu - Oregon
4) Wooten - Oregon
6) Chase Jeter - Gonzaga
9) Tucker - Georgia Tech

If Shittu does reclassify, Oregon is one of the top schools in the running. But that's still an IF up in the air.
Wooten is a no brainer. Been a silent since he visited.
Bowen isn't coming here.
Don't know much about Doutrive, so will defer to northbeachsf
Brown is still considered an Oregon lean FWIW.
Matt Prehm still says McCoy will pick Oregon, but that's a toss up at this point IMO. Who knows.
Johnson IMO will be pursued more now that we are out of the running for Isaiaha Mike.
If Oregon went all out for Tucker, could see him being a Duck, but it sounds like we need more shooters and big men at this point.
I'm still not sold on McCoy to UNLV though.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Doutrive is an interesting recruit. Sounds like he moved to the LA from Texas, and flew under the radar until recently. He was named his league's player of the year last month, and made the LA Times All-LA along with Beaver commit Ethan Thompson and LiAngelo Ball among others. As a result his recruitment has heated up lately and he said he's been talking to just about every team in the Pac-12, plus a few others. Was also among the biggest movers in Scout's last player rankings, jumping from #100 all the way to #64.

Watching his highlights he seems like solid prospect. Good athlete, solid shooter, can create a little, and capable of playing good D. Nothing amazing, but all the tools to develop into a really good player.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Informative articles about the state of Oregon's recruiting after their Final Four run. Looks like Oregon is going to try and keep a couple scholarships open for the 2018 class, which means grad transfers and maybe 1-2 more HS players will be signed for next season.

http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/Dan ... u-52461188

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... iver_index
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duck541 wrote:Doutrive is an interesting recruit. Sounds like he moved to the LA from Texas, and flew under the radar until recently. He was named his league's player of the year last month, and made the LA Times All-LA along with Beaver commit Ethan Thompson and LiAngelo Ball among others. As a result his recruitment has heated up lately and he said he's been talking to just about every team in the Pac-12, plus a few others. Was also among the biggest movers in Scout's last player rankings, jumping from #100 all the way to #64.

Watching his highlights he seems like solid prospect. Good athlete, solid shooter, can create a little, and capable of playing good D. Nothing amazing, but all the tools to develop into a really good player.
Thanks for sharing. If he can play D and shoot, I'm happy. That'd what we need on the perimeter right now. Smith is a great defender, but we need a natural guard that can play some D too.

northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Good news on the scoring guard front. It sounds like Elijah Brown was cleared for graduate school today, so he is now a real option for Oregon. Gonzaga is still in the mix, but I think we get him now.

Someone on another board said that Altman was leaning towards only taking three more players in 2017 and holding an extra spot or two for 2018, depending on what Bigby decides. Hopefully Shittu joins Wooten and Brown to round out this class.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

1) Shittu - Still up in the air if he reclassifies, won't know until end of summer
2) Elijah Brown - Oregon could really use him. Sounds like Ducks are in a good spot.
3) Brian Bowen - Oregon isn't recruiting him as far as we know.
4) Cameron Johnson - Visiting Kentucky right now, but Oregon is still a player.
5) Devante Doutrive - Still don't know much about Doutrive.
6) Grad transfers and JUCOs - There's a few names out there like MiKyle McIntosh (Illinois State) and Kassius Robertson (Canisius) that 247 mentioned as potential targets. I'd imagine Oregon will go this route for a guy or two.

List is thinning out a bit.

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Options definitely thinning out. I wonder if we'll pursue Tucker more now.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

UOducksTK1 wrote:1) Shittu - Still up in the air if he reclassifies, won't know until end of summer
2) Elijah Brown - Oregon could really use him. Sounds like Ducks are in a good spot.
6) Grad transfers and JUCOs - There's a few names out there like MiKyle McIntosh (Illinois State) and Kassius Robertson (Canisius) that 247 mentioned as potential targets. I'd imagine Oregon will go this route for a guy or two.

Altman indicated at the banquet that he only intends to take three more players for 2017 and will hold 1-2 spots for a deep 2018 class. Wooten already grabbed one of those spots, so there are two left. I don't think missing on McCoy is the end of the world and honestly I think Altman knew McCoy was no longer in play when he grabbed Wooten.

I don't think we are in that bad of shape in the post. White, Cage, and Wooten will provide solid post play. Kigab and Brown are both 6'7" and may be able to play some 4 when we go small. Bigby has not officially transferred yet and missing on McCoy could mean solid minutes for him next season. I believe this is why Altman told Bigby he wanted to meet with him in person before he made his final decision....he knew McCoy was not coming. Maybe he sticks around now?

What Oregon desperately needs with both of the remaining spots is leadership and the ability to score the ball. Brown is the guy Oregon absolutely has to get with the next open spot, as he provides both in one package. He basically has zero competition for a starting spot at Oregon, so I think Oregon lands him over Gonzaga. With the final spot, you grab Bowen if he is interested, as he is an elite scorer. If not, you fill it with Doutrive who is an aggressive slasher, can create shots, and is a good defender.

If we get E. Brown, I don't think we continue to pursue Johnson. I am flipping on my original prediction now that E. Brown is officially in school (which I didn't think would happen).

And I think Tucker is probably low on the priority list?? Does Oregon really need another 6'7" SF? They have three of those guys already on the roster and they are all underclassmen (Brown, Kigab, and Smith).

Shittu would take one of the open spots if he is able to re-classify. We probably won't know until the end of summer if this is a possibility.

My guess is E. Brown and Doutrive get the final two spots with a open spot for Shittu if he is able to re-classify.

Here is quick summary on Doutrive:
"Devante Doutrive has had an outstanding year and he is a very aggressive and passionate player, which makes him stand out from all other players. He is the 23 ranked shooting guard in the country, and ranked fifth in California. He is 6’5" and capable of finishing at the basket with both hands and making good passes, but his best attribute is attacking the rim. His height and length make him a great defender as well." He averaged about 22 points a game in Los Angeles and had a monster senior year. Sounds like exactly what we need, right?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

northbeachsf wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:1) Shittu - Still up in the air if he reclassifies, won't know until end of summer

Altman indicated at the banquet that he only intends to take three more players for 2017 and will hold 1-2 spots for a deep 2018 class. Wooten already grabbed one of those spots, so there are two left. I don't think missing on McCoy is the end of the world and honestly I think Altman knew McCoy was no longer in play when he grabbed Wooten.

I don't think we are in that bad of shape in the post. White, Cage, and Wooten will provide solid post play. Kigab and Brown are both 6'7" and may be able to play some 4 when we go small. Bigby has not officially transferred yet and missing on McCoy could mean solid minutes for him next season. I believe this is why Altman told Bigby he wanted to meet with him in person before he made his final decision....he knew McCoy was not coming. Maybe he sticks around now?

What Oregon desperately needs with both of the remaining spots is leadership and the ability to score the ball. Brown is the guy Oregon absolutely has to get with the next open spot, as he provides both in one package. He basically has zero competition for a starting spot at Oregon, so I think Oregon lands him over Gonzaga. With the final spot, you grab Bowen if he is interested, as he is an elite scorer. If not, you fill it with Doutrive who is an aggressive slasher, can create shots, and is a good defender.

If we get E. Brown, I don't think we continue to pursue Johnson. I am flipping on my original prediction now that E. Brown is officially in school (which I didn't think would happen).

And I think Tucker is probably low on the priority list?? Does Oregon really need another 6'7" SF? They have three of those guys already on the roster and they are all underclassmen (Brown, Kigab, and Smith).

Shittu would take one of the open spots if he is able to re-classify. We probably won't know until the end of summer if this is a possibility.

My guess is E. Brown and Doutrive get the final two spots with a open spot for Shittu if he is able to re-classify.

Here is quick summary on Doutrive:
"Devante Doutrive has had an outstanding year and he is a very aggressive and passionate player, which makes him stand out from all other players. He is the 23 ranked shooting guard in the country, and ranked fifth in California. He is 6’5" and capable of finishing at the basket with both hands and making good passes, but his best attribute is attacking the rim. His height and length make him a great defender as well." He averaged about 22 points a game in Los Angeles and had a monster senior year. Sounds like exactly what we need, right?
Yeah Brown is a must get just because of seniority and ability to score. Personally, I think Johnson would be a great addition just because of his outside shooting and versatility.

Sucks to have to say no on a guy like Tucker, but it makes sense given our current state. Unless he can play SG permanently, I don't see it happening.

If KBW still decides to transfer, would we try to get another guy, so three scholarships left?

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I don't think you can ever have too many talented wing players, though. I would take Tucker. Especially since Brown is more a point-forward than a wing player.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Doutrive looks like a really good player. Scout actually rated as the 64th best player I think it was, compared to 247 has him at around 133 I think. He's ahead of bailey Jr on scout. He's got good size for a shooting guard. It's just hard to say no to a guy like tucker either, he's a great shooter and scorer as well. But you have to keep some scholarships open for next year. But I haven't heard anything tying doutrive to Oregon, since this thread. Where is this info coming from?
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Who else do you think we take in this class? The consensus on this board and on DT seems to think we'll take one more in this class and Shittu if he reclassifies this summer. The only three names I've heard that are left on the board are Tucker, doutrive and Johnson the Pitt transfer. I personally would like to take Johnson, as he is a great shooter and has two years of eligibility left and can play immediately.
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

I think we have an outside shot at Brian Bowen, too. Seems like the other top programs that he's looking at, MSU and Arizona, wouldn't have room for him to be a primary scoring option, which is apparently what he's after. Don't know if we do either now that we have Elijah Brown, but there's been a little chatter about Altman getting in the game late with Bowen's recruitment.

Probably a better shot at Tucker or Johnson, but who knows.