Are we "in" on RJ Barrett at all?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Are we "in" on RJ Barrett at all?

Post by GrantDuck »

38 in the game s USA right now, leading Canada to the upset.

Kigab had a decent game, although less efficient.

Pritchard was USA's 2nd leading scorer with 4 3's on 50% shooting, but Cal didn't play him down the stretch.
greenyellow

Re: Are we "in" on RJ Barrett at all?

Post by greenyellow »

First loss by a US Basketball team in a FIBA-sponsored tournament since 2011. The US' defense and offense just went to shambles for long stretches. Cal just seemed content to let the team play individually and didn't make as many adjustments as he could have. Also, he went with all HS kids for far too long when his best players were players with college experience (Pritchard, Carsen Edwards, Kevin Huerter.)
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

But it's a great recruiting tactic... :roll:
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Payton Pritchard was named to the all-tournament team, the only American to do so. Looks like Coach Cal's approach of playing his favorites (i.e. Kentucky recruits) backfired.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

I didn't see any of the games, but PP didn't seem to have eye catching stats....can anyone describe his play and how he received such a high honor?
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

bigsugarduck wrote:I didn't see any of the games, but PP didn't seem to have eye catching stats....can anyone describe his play and how he received such a high honor?
He was typically the team's most consistent 3-point shooter, arguably their best distributor/passer, and the best leader when on the floor. This was voted on by the other coaches so the fact he got on the team while playing inconsistent minutes shows how much they thought of his play. Too bad Coach Cal didn't see what the other coaches saw.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote:38 in the game s USA right now, leading Canada to the upset.
I sure hope so.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

greenyellow wrote:Payton Pritchard was named to the all-tournament team, the only American to do so. Looks like Coach Cal's approach of playing his favorites (i.e. Kentucky recruits) backfired.
They couldn't stop Barrett anyway IMO...
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

We would have to beat literally everyone in the country to Barrett.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Kyle's Brother wrote:We would have to beat literally everyone in the country to Barrett.

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Kyle's Brother wrote:We would have to beat literally everyone in the country to Barrett.
He's buddies with Kigab and from Missasauga. So realistically, we're probably fighting 9-12 other schools for him. Still a longshot, but it's a possibility. Hell, even Kentucky fans are saying he's a longshot for them.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I don't know if this helps but most consider us the favorite to grab Shittu, who is another great Canadian player.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Phenom wrote:I don't know if this helps but most consider us the favorite to grab Shittu, who is another great Canadian player.
Thought I'd been hearing UK rumors and Cal having his goons on him...but yeah, he's an amazing Canadian player as well.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Barrett indicated at the Peach Jam that Oregon was one of a couple schools that was recruiting him the hardest. That is a good sign.
Last edited by northbeachsf on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Phenom wrote:I don't know if this helps but most consider us the favorite to grab Shittu, who is another great Canadian player.
I keep seeing this on 247. However, I wouldn't hold your breath. Recently, when Shittu was asked about his current recruiting situation from a non-Oregon source, he indicated that his top 5 were: Michigan, Vandy, Texas, Louisville, and UCLA. Then mentioned several other schools that are recruiting him (including Duke and Kentucky), none of which were Oregon. Remember....according to 247 Murray, McCoy, Wigginton, etc. were all 100% Oregon locks.

I want Shittu more than any other player in the 2018 class, but I just don't see it happening. I HOPE I am the one that is wrong this time.

Also, on a side note, Shittu picked up an offer from AZ yesterday,