'17/'18 Lineup

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

'17/'18 Lineup

Post by Phenom »

What do you think our lineup and rotation will look like next year?

Pritchard / T. Brown / Bailey
E. Brown / Bailey
T. Brown / Kigab / McIntosh
Smith / McIntosh / White / Sorkin
Cage / White / Wooten
Duck24
Senior

Re: '17/'18 Lineup

Post by Duck24 »

Keith Smith at the 4?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Duck24 wrote:Keith Smith at the 4?
Brooks was our "4" last year so why not? Smith was the one I was least confident about being in the starting lineup.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Yeah, Smith backed up the 4 almost exclusively last year when healthy. Just depends if Altman feels a traditional (taller) 4 would work best with the assembly of talent, or if he wants to go small again.

Honestly, set positions have become almost meaningless with this team, and that's not a bad thing. Altman has proven he can succeed with a more "traditional" (taller) 4 like a Kazemi, or smaller/quicker 4's like Cook or Brooks. We have so many players who look like hybrid 3/4 or 4/5 guys I imagine Altman will spend most of November/December trying to find the best fit.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phenom wrote:
Brooks was our "4" last year so why not? Smith was the one I was least confident about being in the starting lineup.
Hopefully the limited minutes he got led to a big off-season for him. I think that's the starting 5 against NCC.

I think(hope) Pritchard has a big year after his last year of basketball. I think for him the biggest step is mostly mental, everything slowing down and becoming a threat as a shooter and distributor.

Of course Troy Brown and how everyone is able to play off and around him early might be the biggest thing to watch for how the rotation plays out. There's quite a few new faces and I'm hoping we get a breakout from one of our mystery bigs.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phenom wrote:
Brooks plays very physical for his height though and plays like he's two inches taller. With Smith, I feel like he's more of a guard in a forward's body. So playing him at the 4 probably won't happen.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
Brooks plays very physical for his height though and plays like he's two inches taller. With Smith, I feel like he's more of a guard in a forward's body. So playing him at the 4 probably won't happen.
Brooks might have been physical but he was a terrible rebounder. I think Smith's got a leg-up in both rebounding and defending. Obviously, he's not the scorer that Brooks was but I don't think he'll have to be. I do like him guarding on the perimeter, though so we'll see. Hopefully he's gotten bigger. If not, McIntosh, White, and Kigab are thicker and physical.

I think the mystery big that steps up is Cage. I've heard good things.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I think White starts at the 4, but yeah, it will be interesting who plays backup at the 1-2 spots and how the 4-5 situation shakes out. We probably won't know until conference play starts.

Worried about the bigs this year and like everyone else, hoping PP and Cage can both step up as returning players.
Last edited by GrantDuck on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Kigab is also a more than capable 4. Look at his rebounding #'s for team Canada.