Arrests coming to NCAA BB programs and apparel firm!!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Arrests coming to NCAA BB programs and apparel firm!!

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

:o :o :o
From the Wall Street Journal:
Fed­eral law-en­force­ment of­fi­cials are ex­pected to ar­rest at least a half-dozen peo­ple and un­seal charges Tues­day as part of a wide-rang­ing in­ves­ti­ga­tion into al­leged bribery and kick­back schemes at sev­eral of the coun­try’s top-tier col­lege bas­ket­ball pro­grams, peo­ple fa­mil­iar with the mat­ter said.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors have been look­ing at whether coaches at these schools have been paid by out­side en­ti­ties—such as fi­nan­cial ad­vis­ers, agents, and ap­parel com­pa-nies—in ex­change for pres­sur-ing play­ers to as­sociate with those en­ti­ties, peo­ple fa­mil-iar with the in­ves­ti­ga­tion said. Ex­ec­u­tives at at least one ap­parel com­pany are ex­pected to be among those ar­rested, a per­son fa­mil­iar with the mat­ter said.

The in­ves­ti­ga­tion is be­ing led by the Fed­eral Bu­reau of In­ves­ti­ga­tion and the Man­hat-tan U.S. At­tor­ney’s of­fice.

Broadly, the in­ves­ti­ga­tion has shed light on the highly com­pet­i­tive re­cruit­ing pipe­line that brings elite high-school bas­ket­ball play­ers through Di­vi­sion I col­lege pro­grams and into the pro­fes­sional leagues, and the role played by as­sistant coaches in that process, the peo­ple said.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Arrests coming to NCAA BB programs and apparel firm!!

Post by Phenom »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... corruption

Coaches from Arizona, USC, Auburn and OK St
involved.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Hmmm... I can think of a couple suspect commitments :roll: :!: :?: :!:
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Coaches at Arizona, USC, OK State and Auburn. I believe the first three are Nike and Auburn is Under Armour but an Adidas exec was arrested. Interesting.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Brian Bowen at UL is being involved with Pitino ... maybe a reason Oregon cooled on him?
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

justducky0 wrote:Brian Bowen at UL is being involved with Pitino ... maybe a reason Oregon cooled on him?
$100K in four $25k installments but Pitino was “lucky”. :roll:

Not sure why sports media/fans are acting so surprised. Have they had their heads buried in the sand for the past 10 years? Why do they think sports apparel companies are sponsoring top flight AAU teams, dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars?
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Nike looped into this as well. Head of Youth Basketball a part of the Adidas exec’s indictment. Yikes.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

I have just seen on twitter but I think this is going to be pretty big. Hopefully Oregon has kept out of it.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Duck24 wrote:
justducky0 wrote:Brian Bowen at UL is being involved with Pitino ... maybe a reason Oregon cooled on him?

Not sure why sports media/fans are acting so surprised. Have they had their heads buried in the sand for the past 10 years? Why do they think sports apparel companies are sponsoring top flight AAU teams, dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars?
and we thought guys like Sonny Vaccaro were bad for the game.

I really think the answer to this, especially for basketball, is to simply create Elite Global Academies to pay these kids to play ball against other international talent and place the education emphasis on more personalized teaching. In essence, expand what Brandon Jennings did by bypassing college and allow them a more structured system that caters to teaching the game. Digital Broadcasting platforms are becoming so vast that there a lots of ways to capitalize on the games and pay them. Like Menudo for basketball players, once you're 19/20 you can't be in the band anymore.

The whole "student-athlete" narrative for some sports is such an utter joke that it's not even worth trying to argue for anymore so something new is probably the best way to go.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

justducky0 wrote:
Lol so good.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Duck07 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:

and we thought guys like Sonny Vaccaro were bad for the game.

I really think the answer to this, especially for basketball, is to simply create Elite Global Academies to pay these kids to play ball against other international talent and place the education emphasis on more personalized teaching. In essence, expand what Brandon Jennings did by bypassing college and allow them a more structured system that caters to teaching the game. Digital Broadcasting platforms are becoming so vast that there a lots of ways to capitalize on the games and pay them. Like Menudo for basketball players, once you're 19/20 you can't be in the band anymore.

The whole "student-athlete" narrative for some sports is such an utter joke that it's not even worth trying to argue for anymore so something new is probably the best way to go.
So some more Prime Time Prep and IMG Academies. Cardale wasn’t wrong, they didn’t go to college to “play school” so why make them?
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

justducky0 wrote:I have just seen on twitter but I think this is going to be pretty big. Hopefully Oregon has kept out of it.
So far mostly in the sense that this involves the sudden change of Bowen
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Zyme wrote:
justducky0 wrote:I have just seen on twitter but I think this is going to be pretty big. Hopefully Oregon has kept out of it.
So far mostly in the sense that this involves the sudden change of Bowen
It’s still an evolving case it seems. Lots of college coaches are changing their underwear right now.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

It's an interesting notion to think that we believe in Liberty yet we demand that young athletes NOT be allowed to make any money whatsoever when others are profiting off of their playing a game. Why do we believe in consent for some issues but not for others? Hopefully it'd start driving down some of the exorbitant coaching salaries as well. Just about every state's highest paid public employee is a sports coach. The states don't need to be in this business, let private industry take care of it.