Latest Unsubstantiated Slander at Dana Altman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Latest Unsubstantiated Slander at Dana Altman

Post by GrantDuck »

I don't think most folks understand that based on the University policy, there's very little else Altman could have done.

He was supposed to suspend a player because he "talked to the police"? For all Altman knew, he was assisting in finding the person who did it...
The University has made it clear it's not his job, it's the Title IX's team's job to conduct the investigation. The police report wasn't available until after the investigation concluded and it wasn't even done in the state of Oregon. Thankfully it appears the University is backing Altman 100% so far.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Didn't Artis and Dotson also sue the university and get a settlement for getting kicked off the team when no charges were filed? It seems like you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Finding the balance between due process and protecting victims will probably always leave somebody loud and angry. I can understand if coaches prefer to wait on the police to file charges. How long was KBW under investigation? Would it really have been reasonable to suspend him while a years-long investigation took place, especially one that ended in no charges?

It feels like this story is attempting to cobble together elements that, taken separately, all came to no criminal charges being filed. Evidence to me that this is an attempted hit-piece include this snippet:
In March 2014, a UO undergraduate reported that she had been sexually assaulted by three members of the school’s basketball team, Dominic Artis, Damyean Dotson and Brandon Austin. The graphic police report detailed alleged assaults at two off-campus locations. Despite the allegations, two of the players remained on the team throughout the investigation, playing through the Ducks’ 24-win season and an NCAA tournament berth.
Why would they not play through the season if the incident happened in March? Was somebody supposed to know in advance that the incident would happen and not let them play from November to February? The statement above is clearly painted to make it seem like Altman was covering up for the whole season, rather than the actual situation, which required him to make a snap decision the same week.

I have three daughters and would be out for blood if any of them was raped. However, men do have rights as well, and I'm not sure we should be defaulted to ruining their lives before charges are even filed, much less before they are found guilty of a crime. I think a lot of activists forget the myriad of false accusations that happen. That's why we have a process for these things.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Actually, I guess Artis and Dotson's lawsuit was dismissed.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... ts_by.html