It’s beginning to look a lot...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

It’s beginning to look a lot...

Post by nogerO »

Like a long year for men’s basketball. Maybe Dana can turn this train wreck around.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: It’s beginning to look a lot...

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I thought they might have turned the corner in the second half of the last game. I was wrong. Without a huge leap forward the string of 20 win seasons is in doubt. Just don't know if they have 10 conference wins in them at this point.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Well they are all young. I'm curious to hear who you all think our go to guy should be with the game coming down to one last shot. Last year it was Brooks. Who's it this year?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

ducks5ever wrote:Well they are all young. I'm curious to hear who you all think our go to guy should be with the game coming down to one last shot. Last year it was Brooks. Who's it this year?
Still don't know. The team has clear-cut go-to man right now. Pritchard and Elijah Brown have wanted to be but just aren't consistent while Troy Brown should be but he's still deferring to the older guys.
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

Troy Brown and Kenny Wooten are our best players, but they look like unpolished versions of Brooks and Bell right now. That's fine, they're freshmen.

Our main problem is that our older players (E. Brown, White, Sorkin) are very mediocre, and they're sometimes just plain bad on certain nights.

Our second biggest problem is that we don't have anyone besides Pritchard who can play PG.

I still think this team can get to a Sweet 16 because I believe in Altman, but a couple of those older guys are gonna have to make a pretty big jump in the next couple of months to get us there.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

I remember last year getting beat down by Baylor, beat by a lousy Georgetown team, then needing overtime to beat a mediocre Tennessee team. We'll be fine. We've got the talent and the coach. I think the ceiling is Sweet 16 this year, but there's no cause for panic yet.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Hoagduck wrote:I remember last year getting beat down by Baylor, beat by a lousy Georgetown team, then needing overtime to beat a mediocre Tennessee team. We'll be fine. We've got the talent and the coach. I think the ceiling is Sweet 16 this year, but there's no cause for panic yet.
Brooks played only 13 minutes in those two games though. And Baylor was a very good team last year. Two totally different situations. We will struggle a little this year, no doubt.

Because the Pac-12 seems to be down this year, we still might finish in the top 4. But we are a very borderline NCAA tournament team.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Yep.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Hoagduck wrote:I remember last year getting beat down by Baylor, beat by a lousy Georgetown team, then needing overtime to beat a mediocre Tennessee team. We'll be fine. We've got the talent and the coach. I think the ceiling is Sweet 16 this year, but there's no cause for panic yet.
We really don't. The freshman are all high level talents, but they're freshman. The transfers and JC guys are not. They're skilled, but they don't have the freakish athleticism as their predecessors.

This season/team feels like a warmup for next years class to join.
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Post by DAT#6 »

Before the season began, I felt our ceiling was the Sweet 16. Now I think it is just making it into the Tournament.
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

Elijah Brown is a lot like Tajuan Porter. Low basketball IQ, but LOVES to shoot and will probably have nights where he scores 25. He isn't an efficient scorer, though, and he basically doesn't play defense. He plays like guys that you'd see playing at the rec center. I was hoping he'd be like a Devoe Joseph/Joe Young transfer, but he's absolutely nowhere close. I don't think he could ever be the go-to guy for a good team.

I think all the freshmen are going to develop like crazy. Brown and Wooten already look a lot more under control and confident, and Bailey looks like he's playing within himself a little more already. When Kigab calms down I think he'll be able to contribute, too. We might have to be more patient with him though.

I expected more out of Smith. He and Sorkin are just such awful players. I'm not surprised that Sorkin still can't rebound or play a bit of defense, but Smith looks like he's gotten even worse. And he was awful last year. He just looks completely clueless. It's a shame. He has an NBA body. I hope, for everyone's sake, he transfers after this season.

We have a handful of guys that are limited in one way or another, and will probably never be more than capable role players. Guys like White and McIntosh, and maybe even Pritchard.

I still think this team's ceiling is really high. If everyone can buy in on playing defense and blocking out, and the underclassmen can continue to develop, we could still be a dangerous team in March. I wouldn't be against Altman there.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Kyle's Brother wrote:Elijah Brown is a lot like Tajuan Porter. Low basketball IQ, but LOVES to shoot and will probably have nights where he scores 25. He isn't an efficient scorer, though, and he basically doesn't play defense. He plays like guys that you'd see playing at the rec center. I was hoping he'd be like a Devoe Joseph/Joe Young transfer, but he's absolutely nowhere close. I don't think he could ever be the go-to guy for a good team.

I think all the freshmen are going to develop like crazy. Brown and Wooten already look a lot more under control and confident, and Bailey looks like he's playing within himself a little more already. When Kigab calms down I think he'll be able to contribute, too. We might have to be more patient with him though.

I expected more out of Smith. He and Sorkin are just such awful players. I'm not surprised that Sorkin still can't rebound or play a bit of defense, but Smith looks like he's gotten even worse. And he was awful last year. He just looks completely clueless. It's a shame. He has an NBA body. I hope, for everyone's sake, he transfers after this season.

We have a handful of guys that are limited in one way or another, and will probably never be more than capable role players. Guys like White and McIntosh, and maybe even Pritchard.

I still think this team's ceiling is really high. If everyone can buy in on playing defense and blocking out, and the underclassmen can continue to develop, we could still be a dangerous team in March. I wouldn't be against Altman there.
I couldn't agree more with everything you wrote. Colorado looked like it could be the worst team in the conference so that has to be taken in to consideration, but the improvement from the Utah game to Colorado was striking.
There appeared to be a level of understanding, communication between the players on both ends. It was really encouraging that E B did not shoot a 3 every time he touched the ball, but actually brought it down and extended a play several times. TB in particular showed that when he wants to, can take the ball to the basket. So, yeah, if this type of effort can become the norm this team could be a factor in conference play.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

We lost basically every single rotational player aside from Payton Pritchard ... as long as we're competitive in games, I don't see how anyone can complain!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Kyle's Brother wrote:Elijah Brown is a lot like Tajuan Porter. Low basketball IQ, but LOVES to shoot and will probably have nights where he scores 25. He isn't an efficient scorer, though, and he basically doesn't play defense. He plays like guys that you'd see playing at the rec center. I was hoping he'd be like a Devoe Joseph/Joe Young transfer, but he's absolutely nowhere close. I don't think he could ever be the go-to guy for a good team.

Such a great post. You are more optimistic than me though. I just don't think Altman has enough to work with this year. Every time I watch this team, it feels like the Pac 12 schedule is going to swallow them up. They just don't seem to have enough confidence and skill to be able to assert themselves against a decent defending team. It feels like some of those old Don Monson teams where they just starting hucking up shot after shot because they were outmatched. Tajuan Porter at least had crazy hot streaks. Elijah reminds me more of a less skilled Antoine Stoudamire.
I feel like expectations should be lowered this year, and a good goal might be just to establish a team framework so that next year's recruits can plug in quickly. Brown, Wooten, and Pritchard can work on their chemistry and hopefully a few others can develop into positive contributors, like Kigab or Bailey.
If this team makes the tournament this year, I will be pleasantly surprised. We always rely on Altman to marshal the troops, but I think he more or less struck out on the tranfers guys this time, and the others are just too young.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Hopefully we can make the NIT and make a run in there...

The issue with this team is the talent is young.

-Elijiah Brown is utter trash.
-Pritchard is a nice player, but he's not ready to carry a team. his defense is mediocre and he needs to develop his mid range game more.
-McKintosh has the basketball IQ of a kumquat. Like, I have not seen a player that dumb since the Ernie era.

VJ Bailey, Troy Brown, and Wooten are our 3 most talented guys, but they are all so up and down.

I like Paul White, but we need to see a little more fire from him.

Kigab is completely lost, but you can see the talent if he can learn from Dana.

Keith Smith isn't a Pac-12 player. No development from year 1 to year 2. Sorkin is not a Pac-12 player.