UCLA @ Oregon (Saturday 7:15 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Everythingsducky
Senior

Re: UCLA @ Oregon (Saturday 7:15 PM ESPN)

Post by Everythingsducky »

mattc94 wrote:
Hoagduck wrote:This is a weird transition year, clearly. I’d be thrilled to make the tournament. Clearly 2019 is where we’re going to make noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we just lost too many players from last year. Which is fine. Bell and Brooks will guarantee us recruits for years to come. Troy Brown, Bailey and Wooten look really promising. I don't know if Brown looks really well at forward though. As somebody said, having Payton push the ball up when Brown can do it kind of hurts him. His skill set really works well in transition and in creating matchup problems as he drives to the bucket. I hope he stays though. Leaving for the draft would be foolish of him.
Yeah, I get that thought. But Brown will most likely declare (stupidly, if this year) next year, and having Pritchard moved to SG, I’d be more worried about continuity, only to have him moved back a year later. PP has been far more consistent this year. Altman will put the ball in the hands of whom he trusts the most, and evidently it ain’t Brown at this point.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Everythingsducky wrote:
mattc94 wrote:
Hoagduck wrote:This is a weird transition year, clearly. I’d be thrilled to make the tournament. Clearly 2019 is where we’re going to make noise.

I think we just lost too many players from last year. Which is fine. Bell and Brooks will guarantee us recruits for years to come. Troy Brown, Bailey and Wooten look really promising. I don't know if Brown looks really well at forward though. As somebody said, having Payton push the ball up when Brown can do it kind of hurts him. His skill set really works well in transition and in creating matchup problems as he drives to the bucket. I hope he stays though. Leaving for the draft would be foolish of him.
Yeah, I get that thought. But Brown will most likely declare (stupidly, if this year) next year, and having Pritchard moved to SG, I’d be more worried about continuity, only to have him moved back a year later. PP has been far more consistent this year. Altman will put the ball in the hands of whom he trusts the most, and evidently it ain’t Brown at this point.
Yeah, he’d be stupid to turn down a likely guaranteed $10M contract at the age of 18 when he could come back and play out of position. :roll:
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

My biggest disappointment from last nights game was an off the court thing. Coming out of halftime, they played the swag surf song with the student section doing their little dance with it. I thought that died when Willie left?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Duck24 wrote:My biggest disappointment from last nights game was an off the court thing. Coming out of halftime, they played the swag surf song with the student section doing their little dance with it. I thought that died when Willie left?
It's staying. Players and students love it.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

troy brown is being projected as a top 20 pick. why in the world do we have multiple people in this thread saying it would be "foolish" for him to declare?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

oregontrack wrote:troy brown is being projected as a top 20 pick. why in the world do we have multiple people in this thread saying it would be "foolish" for him to declare?
Maybe they think he could be top 10 if he stayed?

I get that he has great measurables and projects well in the NBA, but he really hasn't done much in college, so I guess I don't get why you don't get it when people say he should stay in school another year. It's just an opinion, but it isn't exactly based on nothing.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck24 wrote:
Yeah, he’d be stupid to turn down a likely guaranteed $10M contract at the age of 18 when he could come back and play out of position. :roll:
NBADraft.net currently has him at 22, which would be about $5m over three years (the guaranteed part of a rookie deal). He could easily increase that over two years by going top 10 the next year. Even top 15 would probably be an increase.
Last edited by Phalanx on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

oregontrack wrote:troy brown is being projected as a top 20 pick. why in the world do we have multiple people in this thread saying it would be "foolish" for him to declare?
I'm with you.

Could he improve his draft stock? Sure. He could also worsen it, too.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Phalanx wrote:

I get that he has great measurables and projects well in the NBA, but he really hasn't done much in college, so I guess I don't get why you don't get it when people say he should stay in school another year. It's just an opinion, but it isn't exactly based on nothing.
Potential/measurables carry much more weight than college performance when it comes to the draft. If you want proof, go look at the two 7 foot stiffs sitting on the Blazers bench who were drafted on potential.

Brown has all the makings of a very solid 2/3 who can fill up the box score. He’s averaging 12-7-3 right now. Coming back next year and averaging 16-8-5 isn’t going to propel him to meteoric draft heights. If he closes the year out even reasonably well, he should be a top 10-15 pick. The risk of coming back and suffering an injury far outweighs the benefit of coming back and improving your stock a couple of picks.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck24 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

Potential/measurables carry much more weight than college performance when it comes to the draft. If you want proof, go look at the two 7 foot stiffs sitting on the Blazers bench who were drafted on potential.

Brown has all the makings of a very solid 2/3 who can fill up the box score. He’s averaging 12-7-3 right now. Coming back next year and averaging 16-8-5 isn’t going to propel him to meteoric draft heights. If he closes the year out even reasonably well, he should be a top 10-15 pick. The risk of coming back and suffering an injury far outweighs the benefit of coming back and improving your stock a couple of picks.
The difference between Brown and those two stiffs on the end of the Blazers bench is that they were both projected high from the beginning, being 7 feet tall and athletic. Being 7 feet tall and athletic moves a player into attention-getting position pretty much automatically. Guards have to separate themselves from the herd based on more than just height and arm length.

Brown is currently projected at 22 and clearly could benefit in his game by staying in college. Whether he could go much higher in a year, I don't know, but certainly, the potential is there. I don't think he will be a top 10-15 pick this year, but you are entitled to your opinion.

I think the point is that both arguments have validity - there's no obvious choice here. It seems fairly natural for duck fans to want to see more of him before he heads for the NBA, but if we want to sign guys like that, we should be prepared to join the Kentuckies and Arizonas of the world in losing players early based on potential rather than growth.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Not gonna happen. #85 RPI right now. We have 11 games left. Would have to win 8 of those to be in contention, and we just don't have the firepower to do that.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

my concern (in regards to brown's draft stock) of him returning for his sophomore year in order to climb up the draft is that historically, the nba draft is not littered with such success stories.

if the argument is he might be able to climb from (potentially) #22 to (potentially) #15 and that's worth the risk of injury, or getting passed up for younger players with more potential, yada yada, that's fine. my suspension of disbelief is not necessarily with you. i often find that people who say that they "can't believe" a prospect might consider going pro stems from the fact that those people see what they see on the court and are afraid said prospect might go undrafted. or fall so helplessly into the depths of the second round that it wouldn't be worth it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Brown is pretty good, but he doesn't feel like the game changer that Bell and Brooks were and they were drafted in the (mid-ish) second round.