Michigan State - Tom Izzo "scandal"

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

justducky0
Senior

Michigan State - Tom Izzo "scandal"

Post by justducky0 »

Keeping it classy as always Lindsay. No bias here lol.
I also cannot belive the faux outrage when Izzo did not want to answer questions about the investigations in a POST GAME press conference. Like time and place people come on.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Michigan State - Tom Izzo "scandal"

Post by Duck07 »

Obviously Lindsay isn't WOKE if she needs someone to explain it for her.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Never really like Schnell. When she's on the local Eugene ABC affiliate's College Gameday pre and post-game shows, she's always overtalking, seemingly trying to fill every second of air to prove she's just as smart as everyone else. It's really quite annoying.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Grind that axe!
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

I've had personal relations with her. Nope.... not what I meant, I've been in social settings with her and she is just as annoying. She always has to prove herself and makes a big deal out of anything. She also LOVES drama. Also lets just say that if somone took a deep dive into her personal life, she would not be smelling like roses and would come down off that high horse pretty quick.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Eh...in this current climate, Altman is lucky that the KBW story didn’t take on a life of its own. Granted, it’s not to the level of what is being alleged at MSU but it’s not like Oregon and Altman are squeaky clean.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

What are the alleged misdeeds regarding Altman?

From what I recall:
1) Let Artis and Dotson play in NCAA tournament. Neither had been charged with anything at that point, and the nature of the possible charges was unknown...Later both were expelled.
2) Recruited Brandon Austin(?). BA was supposedly in good standing with his previous school and could have resumed playing there. Altman did not find out about his rape charges/accusation/conviction until after he arrived. In hindsight, Altman should have asked more questions it could be argued..
3) KBW. Apparently Altman knew he was wanted for questioning in Wyoming but still allowed him to play last year.

Am I missing something else? :roll: It is terrible and unfortunate any of this stuff happened, but how exactly is Altman on the hook for coaching, supporting, and playing players that have not been charged with anything? I don't get it...Is he supposed to be a psychic?

Side question, for all the negative press of these incidents, was anyone actually convicted of anything?
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

bigsugarduck wrote:What are the alleged misdeeds regarding Altman?

From what I recall:
1) Let Artis and Dotson play in NCAA tournament. Neither had been charged with anything at that point, and the nature of the possible charges was unknown...Later both were expelled.
2) Recruited Brandon Austin(?). BA was supposedly in good standing with his previous school and could have resumed playing there. Altman did not find out about his rape charges/accusation/conviction until after he arrived. In hindsight, Altman should have asked more questions it could be argued..
3) KBW. Apparently Altman knew he was wanted for questioning in Wyoming but still allowed him to play last year.

Am I missing something else? :roll: It is terrible and unfortunate any of this stuff happened, but how exactly is Altman on the hook for coaching, supporting, and playing players that have not been charged with anything? I don't get it...Is he supposed to be a psychic?

Side question, for all the negative press of these incidents, was anyone actually convicted of anything?
The school paid the girl in the Dotson/Austin/Artis case $800K amongst other monetary benefits for no reason apparently.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

From what I recall:

No. The decision to recruit Austin given his past was absolutely questionable.

Outside of that, Altman was compliant with the police and the university at all phases. Specifically at Oregon, they've adopted a policy which does not allow the coach to investigate or be responsible for such cases. They appoint an individual Title IX investigator. This is because they don't want a Baylor/Michigan State situation.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

GrantDuck wrote:

From what I recall:

Outside of that, Altman was compliant with the police and the university at all phases. Specifically at Oregon, they've adopted a policy which does not allow the coach to investigate or be responsible for such cases. They appoint an individual Title IX investigator. This is because they don't want a Baylor/Michigan State situation.
Makes sense. Glad Oregon has a process, but the process seems to have been harmful to Altman due to the perception of condoning or turning the blind eye to these things.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

bigsugarduck wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:

From what I recall:

Makes sense. Glad Oregon has a process, but the process seems to have been harmful to Altman due to the perception of condoning or turning the blind eye to these things.
Absolutely. A couple of people and media have also made the situation much worse by their lack of understanding regarding the concept of due process.

I don't mind Oregon's process, but I do believe it should be more transparent.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

There was an issue about people from the Athletic Department approaching the counselor/therapists that the girl had seen. That should have never happened, and those people should have been fired. That should have been a bigger story in my mind. Otherwise, not sure where there were coaches that should be reprimanded or anything.