Elijah Brown = Tyler Dorsey?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Elijah Brown = Tyler Dorsey?

Post by Merganzer »

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... ncart_2box

In the article, Tyson Alger wonders if Elijah Brown could become this year's Tyler Dorsey?
Last edited by Merganzer on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Elija Brown = Tyler Dorsey?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Meh, please don't compare. Dorsey's FG/3PT percentages were magnitudes better. Dorsey hustles hard, Brown is lazy. Dorsey can drive and bang down low, Elijah Brown just shoots. Not to mention the IQ difference.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Elijah Brown = Tyler Dorsey?

Post by GrantDuck »

Brown's overall FG% is slightly better than Dorsey's in Pac12 play as a freshman.

He's also been mixing in a lot more drives/mid range the last couple of games. The and 1 against UA was huge.

That said, yeah ,the Bball IQ, the bad jacks, and the fact that Dorsey just had more talent/was younger, etc. Very unlikely, but I still hope it happens.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Merganzer wrote:http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... ncart_2box

In the article, Tyson Alger wonders if Elijah Brown could become this year's Tyler Dorsey?
NOPE! Not even close.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

EB reminds me of Tajuan Porter, not Dorsey. Both scored in bunches and put up a lot of shots every game....never consistent. They will single handedly win you a few games and shoot you out of a few others.

Both players are content to shoot threes and rarely use their midrange game or venture inside, even thoough both of them only connect at about a 35% cliip from outside. Their FT% is around 90, which would indicate they are probably good shooters at mid range, but you would never know. Both players have FG% right around 40%.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

he's a senior and he was quoted after the arizona state game saying "i'm just figuring out i can score in ways other than shooting the three." that's... that's not good.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

oregontrack wrote:he's a senior and he was quoted after the arizona state game saying "i'm just figuring out i can score in ways other than shooting the three." that's... that's not good.
Slow learner, but he did get to the rim and finished a few against AZ.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UofDuck wrote:
oregontrack wrote:he's a senior and he was quoted after the arizona state game saying "i'm just figuring out i can score in ways other than shooting the three." that's... that's not good.
Slow learner, but he did get to the rim and finished a few against AZ.
What does that say about his Dad?
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Dorsey was beloved by Ducks fans in his three years here, was a team player and was a key part of the meteoric rise of the program while here. Brown has drawn the ire of many in his time in Eugene, right up to talking s*** about fans after his craptastic games on the LA road trip. One good game against Arizona doesn’t make up for a season of “meh” basketball. The only benefit to this season ending is him no longer being a part of the Oregon basketball team.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Duck24 wrote:Dorsey was beloved by Ducks fans in his three years here, was a team player and was a key part of the meteoric rise of the program while here. Brown has drawn the ire of many in his time in Eugene, right up to talking s*** about fans after his craptastic games on the LA road trip. One good game against Arizona doesn’t make up for a season of “meh” basketball. The only benefit to this season ending is him no longer being a part of the Oregon basketball team.
He was only here two years, but yes I loved him for his time he was here. He definitely could be a little streaky, but his overall numbers and production were great. (Especially his march production!!)

duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I really liked Dorsey's game. He sometimes took a bad shot but normally his shots came
within the offense. He played decent defense. Dorsey could also drive the ball to the basket.
Brown to me just dosesnt fit in with this team. He is more of a player that needs to be the
focal point of the offense. He takes one bad shot after another and helps contribute to the
offense being stagnet sometimes. He does have his good games and has bailed Oregon out
a couple of times. Does not play defense and only lately has he gone to a mid range game.
But he came here and wanted to be a duck so i wont bash him to hard. But the fit just
hasnt seemed right.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Dorsey was beloved by Ducks fans in his three years here, was a team player and was a key part of the meteoric rise of the program while here. Brown has drawn the ire of many in his time in Eugene, right up to talking s*** about fans after his craptastic games on the LA road trip. One good game against Arizona doesn’t make up for a season of “meh” basketball. The only benefit to this season ending is him no longer being a part of the Oregon basketball team.
He was only here two years, but yes I loved him for his time he was here. He definitely could be a little streaky, but his overall numbers and production were great. (Especially his march production!!)
Brain fart, you’re right. Even though they were in three different classes, I have a mental block that Bell, Brooks and Dorsey all came in the same year.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

duckfan22 wrote:I really liked Dorsey's game. He sometimes took a bad shot but normally his shots came
within the offense. He played decent defense. Dorsey could also drive the ball to the basket.
Brown to me just dosesnt fit in with this team. He is more of a player that needs to be the
focal point of the offense. He takes one bad shot after another and helps contribute to the
offense being stagnet sometimes. He does have his good games and has bailed Oregon out
a couple of times. Does not play defense and only lately has he gone to a mid range game.
But he came here and wanted to be a duck so i wont bash him to hard. But the fit just
hasnt seemed right.
Your recollections of Dorsey’s game differ from mine a bit. Dorsey was a streaky outside shooter, until the month of March when he would get white hot from the outside. He was less than adequate driving the ball to the hole. He seemed to get a lot of shots rejected and many more stripped down low and would flail his arms looking for a foul. That was the one reason that I didn’t think he would get drafted or stick on an NBA roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckduckgoose wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:I really liked Dorsey's game. He sometimes took a bad shot but normally his shots came
hasnt seemed right.
Your recollections of Dorsey’s game differ from mine a bit. Dorsey was a streaky outside shooter, until the month of March when he would get white hot from the outside. He was less than adequate driving the ball to the hole. He seemed to get a lot of shots rejected and many more stripped down low and would flail his arms looking for a foul. That was the one reason that I didn’t think he would get drafted or stick on an NBA roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He had the highest 3 point percentage on the team in both years he was at Oregon. In fact he was the only guy on the team who shot over 37% from the arc in 2015 (41%).

He wasn't any more or less streaky than your average 14ppg scorer. Dude was a solid player for us, and sure he was streaky, but also keep in mind we had like 4 other guys who could score for us. So I think it's more natural to disappear in a game or two when you have so many other talented players.

He's averaging over 20 minutes per game the last 15 games with the Hawks btw.

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i will say this for elijah brown:

i was against bringing him in because i did not think a volume shooter is what this team needed. that said, we did bring him in, and i have a really hard time faulting a high volume shooter for shooting a high volume of shots. we knew what we were getting when we extended the offer. he's an easy target because we as fans can point to so many bad shot attempts, but that's his game and it's what we (or altman, i guess) signed up for. you get the whole elijah brown experience, not just part of it.
ImageImageImageImageImage