NIT Baby!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

NIT Baby!

Post by nogerO »

Probably finish the year 20-13. Hope I'm wrong but this team just didn't have "it" this year. Going to be a pretty decent bunch next year about this time though...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Eksynyt
Two Star Recruit

Re: NIT Baby!

Post by Eksynyt »

Losing to garbage teams like UConn, Beavis, and WSU might even knock us out of the NIT if we lose to the Mutts and then our Pac12 tournament opener.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Eksynyt wrote:Losing to garbage teams like UConn, Beavis, and WSU might even knock us out of the NIT if we lose to the Mutts and then our Pac12 tournament opener.
No it won't. It's rare to see a P5 school with a record like Oregon's to miss out on the NIT.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

i think we’ll probably end up in the nit (as opposed to nothing) but it does seem a tad premature to say we’re a lock. ever since the nit revamped itself so much depends on how conference tournaments play out since regular season champions who don’t win their conference tournaments are guaranteed an nit bid. if this is one of those seasons where a bunch of low and mid major conference tourneys get wacky, it’s not like we’re in the “first four out” of the ncaa tournament — or the “next four out” — or even the “next next next four out” to feel secure enough in a spot.

that said we are always a tough out in Vegas, i think we’ll win a few games and make it happen.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Definitely a frustrating team this year. Win against those three teams mentioned (UConn, OSU, and WSU) and we're looking at a trip to the Big Dance.

I'll be at the game tomorrow in Seattle. If anyone else will be, as well, let me know!
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Hopefully we make a little noise still in the Pac-12 tournament and at least make the semis. That will get us into the NIT, most likely.

Even some of the top teams have NIT seasons these days, with all the turnover and people leaving early.

If you're feeling down about it, go watch some Bol Bol or Lou King highlights and you'll realize we will be back in the tournament and contending for the Pac-12 title next season. (assuming Troy Brown does the smart thing and comes back).
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

i've seen brown projected recently to go as high as 15th overall to the clippers. he'd be silly to come back IF that's a realistic landing spot for him.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GrantDuck wrote:Hopefully we make a little noise still in the Pac-12 tournament and at least make the semis. That will get us into the NIT, most likely.

Even some of the top teams have NIT seasons these days, with all the turnover and people leaving early.

If you're feeling down about it, go watch some Bol Bol or Lou King highlights and you'll realize we will be back in the tournament and contending for the Pac-12 title next season. (assuming Troy Brown does the smart thing and comes back).
Seriously, next year will be really good. I still don’t understand why Bol Bol isn’t the top ranked prospect in the nation, I’ve watched highlights of guys ranked above him, even before he committed, and I’d much rather have Bol Bol than those above him.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Thurston wrote:i've seen brown projected recently to go as high as 15th overall to the clippers. he'd be silly to come back IF that's a realistic landing spot for him.
Bad projection. Barring him playing GREAT in the tournament, he's not going before say..pick 25, at best.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Hopefully we make a little noise still in the Pac-12 tournament and at least make the semis. That will get us into the NIT, most likely.

Seriously, next year will be really good. I still don’t understand why Bol Bol isn’t the top ranked prospect in the nation, I’ve watched highlights of guys ranked above him, even before he committed, and I’d much rather have Bol Bol than those above him.
RJ Barrett is really, really good. Outside of that, yes Bol is hands down #2 in the class to me.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GrantDuck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

RJ Barrett is really, really good. Outside of that, yes Bol is hands down #2 in the class to me.
Barrett does look really good, but I personally would’ve put him #2 behind Bol. And again this was before either of them made their commitments. I just think you get something with Bol that is unguardable, but someone like Bell could do a decent job guarding Barrett.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrantDuck wrote:
Thurston wrote:i've seen brown projected recently to go as high as 15th overall to the clippers. he'd be silly to come back IF that's a realistic landing spot for him.
Bad projection. Barring him playing GREAT in the tournament, he's not going before say..pick 25, at best.

If he gets picked higher than Brooks got picked, it just shows how flawed the thinking is at the NBA level. Yes he's got the length, but his game is no where near as good as Brooks even as a Fr. And he's certainly not as competitive or as hard working as Brooks. He reminds me more of Harriston, happy to just be on the team, but doesn't want to be the leader or the man on the team.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/nit.html

This NIT Bracketology has Oregon as a 3, Utah 2, Washington 4, Stanford, 6.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

GrantDuck wrote:
but you have absolutely no way of knowing that. aside from two or three elite talents (and that's being generous most drafts) the nba draft is almost exclusively about potential. all it takes is one scout to convince one GM that brown can be a contributor. nobody in the nba cares right now that he's shooting 31% from deep, you can teach a kid to shoot. you can't teach a more productive college kid to be 6'7 with handles.

here's a different mock draft that has him going #15 to the bulls (the original mock i linked actually had him going 14th to the clips, not 15th as i wrote above).

he could *easily* land in the late lottery.
ImageImageImageImageImage
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

We don't deserve the nit