Ducks 77 Cardinal 57, 2017/18 Conference Tournament Champion

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Re: Ducks 77 Cardinal 57, 2017/18 Conference Tournament Cham

Post by Duck24 »

How ridiculously good is this team going to be next year?
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck24 wrote:How ridiculously good is this team going to be next year?
Ridiculously good is probably right!. Justine Hall and of course Lexi Bando will be a big loss. But, Aina Ayuso, of crossover dribble fame and Anneli Maley, are poised to join, Sabrina Ionescu & Maite Cazorla in the back court, along with 4* Freshman guard, Taylor Chavez. In the front court, Ruthy Hebard, Mallory McGuire, Oti Gilden and Satou Sabbaly will be joined by Sabally's sister, Nyara.

Story on Chavez and Sabbaly: https://www.dailyemerald.com/2017/11/08 ... gn-oregon/
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Don't forget 2016 Gatorade Player of the year Erin Boley will be eligible after transferring from Notre Dame.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

maxduck wrote:Don't forget 2016 Gatorade Player of the year Erin Boley will be eligible after transferring from Notre Dame.
The Ducks will have all-star games at practices!
Erin Boley: https://www.dailyemerald.com/2017/05/30 ... otre-dame/
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

And we might as well make sure we throw in Morgan Yaeger, part of 2016's incredible freshman class, who hasn't played this year due to injury.

But back to the game. I was able to see it in person. SI was, of course, incredible. A couple of plays especially stand out in my memory. The one, in the third quarter I think, where she was cut off at the baseline and was basically going out of bounds, she throws it back to a Duck, who then finds her in the opposite corner (from where she went out of bounds), and she promptly hits a 3-pointer that looked like it might have been launched at an angle that was slightly "behind" the backboard. The other was a 1 on 2 fast break where she slowed as if she was going to wait for her teammates to set up the half-court offense (like "normal" basketball players do), but when the Cardinal closest to her bit, she bolted to the basket and completed the lay-in.

It took a little while for the Duck D to begin clamping down, but that zone finally worked. Stanford did begin finding a hole in it in the key that they converted with short jumpers a number of times, but it was too little too late.

Also big in the Ducks pulling away was Sabally finally finding her stroke from behind the arc in the second half. I even wondered if Graves told her at halftime to shoot more, and maybe even had some plays for her.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Greenblood wrote:And we might as well make sure we throw in Morgan Yaeger, part of 2016's incredible freshman class, who hasn't played this year due to injury.

But back to the game. I was able to see it in person. SI was, of course, incredible. A couple of plays especially stand out in my memory. The one, in the third quarter I think, where she was cut off at the baseline and was basically going out of bounds, she throws it back to a Duck, who then finds her in the opposite corner (from where she went out of bounds), and she promptly hits a 3-pointer that looked like it might have been launched at an angle that was slightly "behind" the backboard. The other was a 1 on 2 fast break where she slowed as if she was going to wait for her teammates to set up the half-court offense (like "normal" basketball players do), but when the Cardinal closest to her bit, she bolted to the basket and completed the lay-in.

It took a little while for the Duck D to begin clamping down, but that zone finally worked. Stanford did begin finding a hole in it in the key that they converted with short jumpers a number of times, but it was too little too late.

Also big in the Ducks pulling away was Sabally finally finding her stroke from behind the arc in the second half. I even wondered if Graves told her at halftime to shoot more, and maybe even had some plays for her.
I remember those plays, too. Among SI's skill set is her ability to change speed in her dribble, as you noted. Oh yes, and how she makes shots from behind the backboard. Sabally, amazing to think how much better she will be even next year.