woundedknees
All-American

Re: Oregon offers Arizona decommit Brandon Williams

Post by woundedknees »

northbeachsf wrote:
cordy02c wrote:Heard it's not looking good for oregon
Bummer. From where?
Probably a UNLV honk...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

Obviously I'm no scout... But can he shoot at all? Doesn't look/sound like it. Has Altman ever had a successful guard that couldn't shoot? I'd love to be wrong, have him come to Oregon, and watch him become a star... But I can't see it. He reminds me a lot of Kendall Small, who was also a top 100 recruit that couldn't shoot.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

northbeachsf wrote:
cordy02c wrote:Heard it's not looking good for oregon
Bummer. From where?
Apparently not from Nemec who just predicted him to Oregon.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Kyle's Brother wrote:Obviously I'm no scout... But can he shoot at all? Doesn't look/sound like it. Has Altman ever had a successful guard that couldn't shoot? I'd love to be wrong, have him come to Oregon, and watch him become a star... But I can't see it. He reminds me a lot of Kendall Small, who was also a top 100 recruit that couldn't shoot.
good question, probably depends on what people will define as successful. i figure we'd expect more out of brandon williams than, say, a jonathan loyd, but loyd was never a (dependable) shooter but still contributed for four years.

i don't recall our SW16 backcourt being very good shooters (artis/dotson).

garrett sim was pretty bad but *learned* to shoot once altman showed up.
ImageImageImageImageImage
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

The general opinion on twitter right now is that he is headed to Gonzaga. However, I think it is really interesting that Altman gave walk-on Will Johnson a scholarship right after Williams' visit to Eugene. I have no inside information, but why would Altman do that right after his visit unless he knows what he has in place for next season?? Wouldn't you want to keep the three available scholarships open if you were not sure of your options?? Especially considering he previously offered two grad transfer guards and Franco, all of which are still on the table. Also, spring quarter started on April 1st and 100% tuition was due April 8th. Why not do it April 1st or before summer quarter starts?

My wild a$$ guess is that Williams is already a Duck and Altman knows he is not talking another guard in this class, so offered up the scholarship to Johnson. He will hold that last spot in case Okoro reclassifies and decides he wants to come to Eugene or for a late grad transfer. Again, just a wild guess.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

northbeachsf wrote:The general opinion on twitter right now is that he is headed to Gonzaga. However, I think it is really interesting that Altman gave walk-on Will Johnson a scholarship right after Williams' visit to Eugene. I have no inside information, but why would Altman do that right after his visit unless he knows what he has in place for next season?? Wouldn't you want to keep the three available scholarships open if you were not sure of your options?? Especially considering he previously offered two grad transfer guards and Franco, all of which are still on the table. Also, spring quarter started on April 1st and 100% tuition was due April 8th. Why not do it April 1st or before summer quarter starts?

My wild a$$ guess is that Williams is already a Duck and Altman knows he is not talking another guard in this class, so offered up the scholarship to Johnson. He will hold that last spot in case Okoro reclassifies and decides he wants to come to Eugene or for a late grad transfer. Again, just a wild guess.
That's putting a lot of faith into the word of a recruit.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

It’s not really as much about “the word of a recruit” as it is about the timing of Altman’s actions.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

northbeachsf wrote:It’s not really as much about “the word of a recruit” as it is about the timing of Altman’s actions.
I am saying that would mean Altman is putting a lot of faith into the verbal commitment of Williams. A highly sought after recruit, with visits left and being courted by bigger basketball schools, it would be crazy for Altman to count his chickens before they hatch. I honestly can't imagine that being the case.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

karlhungis wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:It’s not really as much about “the word of a recruit” as it is about the timing of Altman’s actions.
I am saying that would mean Altman is putting a lot of faith into the verbal commitment of Williams. A highly sought after recruit, with visits left and being courted by bigger basketball schools, it would be crazy for Altman to count his chickens before they hatch. I honestly can't imagine that being the case.
Ahhh. Gotcha.
Makes more sense now that Mims is reporting that it is only for Spring term.
Looks like pure coincidence now.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Loyd couldn't shoot and was successful.

The Small comparison is way off. Different type of player entirely outside of the fact that were both mediocre outside shooters. Williams is much more advanced in terms of his court vision and understanding of the game. Small was more of a speed/power guy, while Williams is more of a quickness/body control guy.

Williams will likely struggle with his shot at as a freshman, but get to the basket/paint with consistency. I do think he can develop his shot once he learns how to shoot set more often, instead of always off the dribble as the primary handler(leads to a low % unless you are Dame or Steph Curry).
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

northbeachsf wrote:The general opinion on twitter right now is that he is headed to Gonzaga. However, I think it is really interesting that Altman gave walk-on Will Johnson a scholarship right after Williams' visit to Eugene. I have no inside information, but why would Altman do that right after his visit unless he knows what he has in place for next season?? Wouldn't you want to keep the three available scholarships open if you were not sure of your options?? Especially considering he previously offered two grad transfer guards and Franco, all of which are still on the table. Also, spring quarter started on April 1st and 100% tuition was due April 8th. Why not do it April 1st or before summer quarter starts?

Don't we have 3 scholarships available? Williams and Okoro can still sign even with Will Johnson getting a scholarship.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

No read on this one, but I'd be surprised if he chose Arizona.

Would say:

40% Oregon; Obvious star power in the recruiting class/Oregon brand, was the first school he really talked about when re-opening.
40% Gonzaga; seems to have a really strong relationship with Coach Few, they have a pretty loaded team coming back next season if he wants to win
10% Arizona; Overcoming all the off court stuff just seems too much to me
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

GrantDuck wrote:No read on this one, but I'd be surprised if he chose Arizona.

Would say:

40% Oregon; Obvious star power in the recruiting class/Oregon brand, was the first school he really talked about when re-opening.
40% Gonzaga; seems to have a really strong relationship with Coach Few, they have a pretty loaded team coming back next season if he wants to win
Last 10% he pulls a Jalen Hall?
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Duck24 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:No read on this one, but I'd be surprised if he chose Arizona.

Would say:

Last 10% he pulls a Jalen Hall?
:lol: well then. :oops:
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

5 Star PG Brandon Williams to commit at 5:30pm today

Post by Hoagduck »