USA (Oregon) wins Group C FIBA 3X3

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

USA (Oregon) wins Group C FIBA 3X3

Post by Merganzer »

The USA team, comprised of Sabrina Ionescu, Ruthy Hebard, Oti Gildon & Erin Boley are competing in Group C.
Game 1: USA 21 Iran 7
Game 2: USA 21 Andorra 6
Game 3: USA 22 Uganda 9
Game 4: USA 21 Russia 13
All games streaming on ESPN3
Merganzer
Senior

Re: USA (Oregon) wins Group C FIBA 3X3

Post by Merganzer »

They looked a lot like they did last season. Ionescu was the best player on the court for every game, nobody could match up with Hebard inside, Gildon made some nice moves at the basket, and this is great for Boley to get court time with her new teammates.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

It's been interesting watching Boley play. I had never seen her play at ND and she is a different player than I had imagined from the descriptions I had read. Shes taller and larger than I had thought.

Her offensive game will have some similarities to Bando, in shooting a lot of 3 pointers and some pump fake drives but she is much bigger and not nearly as quick.
DuckNV
One Star Recruit

Post by DuckNV »

Boley seemed to finally find her shooting range in game 4. Hopefully this will continue for her.

Maybe the 12 second clock plays into it, but neither Boley or Ionesco have shot well from beyond the arc so far.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Reaction to beating defending champ, Russia and advancing in tournament:

http://www.fiba.basketball/3x3wc/2018/n ... d-cup-2018
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

GrandpaDuck wrote:It's been interesting watching Boley play. I had never seen her play at ND and she is a different player than I had imagined from the descriptions I had read. Shes taller and larger than I had thought.

Her offensive game will have some similarities to Bando, in shooting a lot of 3 pointers and some pump fake drives but she is much bigger and not nearly as quick.
Hopefully not only does she look like some of the bullies from ND, she plays like them too. Lack of toughness has been a problem at times for this bunch. Congrats on moving on ladies!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

nogerO wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:It's been interesting watching Boley play. I had never seen her play at ND and she is a different player than I had imagined from the descriptions I had read. Shes taller and larger than I had thought.

Hopefully not only does she look like some of the bullies from ND, she plays like them too. Lack of toughness has been a problem at times for this bunch. Congrats on moving on ladies!
Hard to tell from the 3x3 format, but while she'll be a better rebounder than Bando, she doesn't look like a low post banger. Gildon is tougher inside though I would guess she is 2 inches shorter than Boley. I am holding out hope that Sabby's bigger younger sister will add some inside toughness though I've never seen her play.

edit: found 2 youtube videos on Nyara. Get excited, what an athlete.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... ncart_2box

All games in the quarterfinals, semifinals and championship will be carried on WatchESPN.com

Quarterfinal: USA vs. Italy 1:05 AM Tuesday
Semifinal: 3:15 AM
Final: 5:30 AM
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Was listening to Graves on the local sports talk show a bit ago and he said that up until about a few weeks ago, it was not a given that all these players would have played in this event. A couple of the higher ups in USA Basketball still wanted to send their handpicked team of All-Americans before others on the selection committee said that the Oregon team deserved to go based on them winning the national tournament. Then some of those members suggested that Gildon needed replaced to get more size but the rest of the girls said they wouldn't go if that happened so USA Basketball once again relented. This turned out for the best as the team won a warmup tournament in France a week or so ago and are now dominating in the Phillipines.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

greenyellow wrote:Was listening to Graves on the local sports talk show a bit ago and he said that up until about a few weeks ago, it was not a given that all these players would have played in this event. A couple of the higher ups in USA Basketball still wanted to send their handpicked team of All-Americans before others on the selection committee said that the Oregon team deserved to go based on them winning the national tournament. Then some of those members suggested that Gildon needed replaced to get more size but the rest of the girls said they wouldn't go if that happened so USA Basketball once again relented. This turned out for the best as the team won a warmup tournament in France a week or so ago and are now dominating in the Phillipines.

Great to hear about the others sticking up for Gildon.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Merganzer wrote:http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... ncart_2box

All games in the quarterfinals, semifinals and championship will be carried on WatchESPN.com

Quarterfinal: USA vs. Italy 1:05 AM Tuesday
Semifinal: 3:15 AM
Final: 5:30 AM
Alexa set a reminder
What is the Reminder For?
Wake up Grandpa and be smashed to pieces
When should I set it for?
Alexa Cancel
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

Lose in the quarters to italy. Just were not sharp at all
Merganzer
Senior

USA (Oregon) out of 2018 FIBA 3X3

Post by Merganzer »

cordy02c wrote:Lose in the quarters to italy. Just were not sharp at all
Yep, ran out of time, Italy 17 USA 14. https://www.usab.com/womens/3x3-world-cup/schedule.aspx
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Italy played well and their 30 year old 5'2" ?? player was so damn quick she had Sabrina handcuffed. They needed to come out and set high picks instantly every time to give Sabrina enough room to get down a dribble and exploit the massive size mismatch if they switched. The games are so short though you have little time to strategize. Inexperience in the 3x3 format, the 12 second shot clock and dealing with the legal hand checking cost them.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

http://www.fiba.basketball/3x3wc/2018/n ... d-cup-2018

Italy wins the Women's title, Serbia wins the Men's.

In the women's category, Italy completed their captivating Cinderella run, dethroning Russia, 16-12, in the Final.

Rae Lin D'Alie stayed true to form, seizing the imagination of the crowd with her handles, court vision and scoring. The shortest player of the tournament (5ft 4in, 1.63m) proved to be too hot to handle for the Russians, who just couldn't find their rhythm.

It was an historic ending for the Italian women, who had never won a medal in the team's event at the FIBA 3x3 World