Oregon involved in FBI case...no bueno

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Oregon involved in FBI case...no bueno

Post by Duck07 »

karlhungis wrote:
TualatinDuck wrote:https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index ... iver_index

Appears the defense thinks they have something.
That sounds ominous. At least Bowen still claims he doesn't remember anything. Though, it seems strange that on one hand they are claiming that Oregon paid him $3000 and on the other claiming Louisville offered him $100,000 to counter the "astronomical" offer from Oregon.
I don't know, if that 3K claim is coming strictly from the Defense Attorney and not from Bowen Sr in a transcript to the FBI then I feel good. Multiple times now he's been asked about us and can't recall anything and I don't think if they keep asking him its going to change. He's already been given a deal in this too so he's no reason to lie and if he's testifying directly against something in his transcript then the prosecution wouldn't really like that as it would seemingly taint their own witness if he's not honest.

I still think we were simply used as a bluff to drive the price up because we're the west coast school with the big money donor who has a shoe company.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Merganzer wrote:
and we'd argue that with him making contradictory statements he's not a reliable witness. the ncaa does whatever the f they want though.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Dan Wetzel asks in a recent column if the news that UL paid Bowen Sr weeks after firing Pitino and being placed on probation is cause for a Death Penalty.

Jay Bilas doesn't think the NCAA does anything but I don't know how they can't.

Bowen Sr is off the stand and nothing has been tweeted about Oregon since. It's the Adidas 'Bag Man' up today.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Does anyone believe in this case that the FBI could/should allege that the people who buy tickets/merchandise/donate to these games are being defrauded by the individuals who are throwing money at the athletes? You buy your tickets/gear with the knowledge that these schools and players are all playing by the rules.

One hold-up for the Feds could be in showing who was harmed and they are arguing that the Schools are being harmed because they are recruiting and offering scholarships to players they don't know are ineligible. I think that all the Louisville fans were certainly defrauded by various individuals involved in this case, anybody else see it that way?
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Doesn't look like Oregon implicated in today's convictions https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/ad ... iversities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Looks like we ended up on the right side of this...for now.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/c ... e-duke-lsu